10-3 crab bank

first time deep holein. i’m tired of the whole setting poles, baiting, waiting for dark, and getting back at midnight.

Before dark caught most in 29-30’. I’m still learning the depth finder. I feel like i see shrimp sometimes, but come up short. Other times there were a dozen or so. After dark we caught a few nets in 12-14’. basically followed a few other boats to the depth as we were not catching anymore in 30’. why is that? do the shrimp move out to the shallows at night?

Anyway, caught exactly 100 shrimp. partner was counting as he was heading. all very big. I do like deep hole shrimping better, but was wondering how the baiters did? i’ll post depth finder pics tomorrow.

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

Is this shrimp? These were a little deep, but would get a few here and there in 25-30’. I heard it is suppose to look like a ball at the bottom? I didn’t see that last night.

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

I’m not an expert at spotting shrimp on the sounder, but my theory on why they move into the shallows at night is to get on “new” feeding grounds, with the sun going down, so they can’t be seen as easily…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

In your first pic, I would definitely guess those were shrimp at 37 ft. That’s what I’d be looking for on the sounder.
We had the same thing happen last week: incoming tide deepholing; Once it got dark, couldn’t get on them again in any numbers.
My theory, which is supported by zero scientific evidence, is that that large numbers of shrimp do feel safer moving from the deep hole up onto the mud flats to feed once it gets dark. I’m just assuming there’s more for them to feed on in 3-8 feet of water than in 30 feet. Therefore, they get more dispersed and you’re not getting big numbers per throw once in the dark.

2016 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage w/300 Merc Verado

Yes… I’d throw a net on either of those pics…

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

One mistake people make, and I am guilty of it myself, is giving the net time to settle on the bottom when shrimping that deep. In 37 feet of water it is going to take longer than you think and you will need more than a 50 foot hand line with current and boat drift. Once you actually get on the bottom, you will see a difference.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

I’ve found you have to guage the current to have the net land where you read the shrimp. The faster the current the further up stream you have to throw, watch your machine to find the right point. The taped net sinks slower and drifts faster so it might take 50’ or more to get to the marked place. Good luck!