April 25

Good forecast and good actual conditions. Not quite flat but close enough for a pleasant ride both ways.

Went out about 40 miles from St. Helena sound but didn’t find quite what I was looking for on the sounder. Water temps 68, still a little cool to commit to trolling for kings.

Moved back in a few miles. 100 to 110 feet deep, water temp 68. Fished with jigs and cut squid. Interestingly caught a bunch of nice vermillion on jigs this trip and even a trigger on the jig. Big BSB on jig as well.

Many vermillion, all good size, and lots of nice triggers, including the big one in the photo - 8 lb, 26 inches. Put 18 fish, mixed species, in the box and could have been many more. Caught a few ARS, but not that many. One in the 20+ lb class. I cried putting it back in the ocean. Red porgy all 13 inches, so they went back. Some smallish AJ’s and one Almaco.

Sacrificed just a few to the tax man. My bottom fishing outfits were due for replacement so I switched this year to heavier, high speed spinning reels. Seem to be able to out run the tax man more often than before.

Figuring out the point lock feature on the joystick and it seems priceless for bottom fishing and vertical jigging. Can just sit on top of vermillion or trigger schools and catch. Really helpful in moving off a school of ARS, as another example, but staying on the same structure. Yesterday I “anchored” twenty times by pushing a button. Can’t wait to try using when grouper season opens.

Thanks to 23sailfish for the photo posting tutorial. Worked well following the formula.