Headed South, February 15

Headed towards the Savannah ship channel, Tybee trough area. Why, I don’t know. Tend to go that direction once or twice a year just for something different.

Water temperature a bit higher to the south, sometimes, early in the season. About 60 degrees offshore and 54-55 inshore and nearshore.

Smooth, almost flat water.

(Bird is, pretty sure, a common loon,)

Saw the first surface activity of the season on the way out, likely false albacore, but just in one spot.

Fishing was ok but not great in about 90 to 100 feet of water. Endangered red snapper were extraordinarily pesty. Had a hard time getting away from them but at least didn’t encounter any sharks. Ended up with an assortment of fish but left early - tired of harassment by ARS.

Fishing near the big ships is always a little weird anyway. They were anchored up in line, waiting to go into Savannah.

Since we had seen some fish on top, stopped at one of the nearshore reefs to see if anything going on with bluefish, bonito or Spanish. Nothing happening yet, water still a bit cold at 55 degrees.

Tried a new recipe from a book by Eric Ripert called “Seafood Simple.” Many of cookbooks by celebrity chefs stink with recipes that are waaaay too complicated. This is the third or fourth recipe I have tried from the book, and all have been good. Some really good recipes for raw or minimally cooked fish that aren’t sashimi.

The recipe was carpaccio with olive oil, cherry tomato, jalapeno, basil and salt/pepper. Knife work wasn’t perfect, but it tasted good anyway.

Thanks to Mixed Nutz and EF. Did try the ringtails and pretty darn good. Had with some porgy and hard to tell the difference. Easy to clean, too, even if not big.

1 Like

Thanks for another great report, and pics!

Just a guess, but the bird looks like a Cormorant?

Bird identification without a shotgun is a challenge. Picture isn’t perfect. At least it is easier than trying to tell sharks apart.

But, heavy, dark and very sharply pointed bill, thick neck, back well out of the water and white on the neck and chest argues for loon. Cormorant has a noticeable hook at the end of the bill. Also, many miles offshore with nowhere to dry out.

My bird identification has improved some to the level of merely lousy instead of horrible, I think, using the “Crossley ID Guide”. This uses many photographs from different angles in different environments instead of drawings.

As always, happy to defer to the experts.

Alrighty then! Very nice, thanks for the specifics. You can’t beat that ocean, I could even handle that. haha

Looks loony to me too.