Sarda Sarda Spectacular

Nice to see reports from lots of fishing last weekend. I was also able to get out again on April 7.

Conditions were not as advertised - choppy. No reason to stay home, though.

Fished in 40 to 50 feet of water, water temperatures 61.5. In a week, water temps only up one degree.

Found the Atlantic Bonito again, some decent size. Nice, chunky, hard pulling fish.
Sadly, the Bonito seem to exit the area when water temps hit around 65 so won’t be here long. Very tasty fish.

Ran planers same as last report - Clark and Drone spoons this time. With my wife on board as a capable hand, put out a third line with a small trolling diver plug behind the planers. Most of the time could get fish on all three lines with the bigger fish hitting the plug.

Caught lots of bluefish too and the first Spanish Mackerel of the year. No False Albacore.

Threw many littler ones back and still had plenty on ice. Nearshore fishing well.

4 Likes

Great report with some real good info, thanks for that!

Looks pretty nice out there.

Great report! Love this time of year!!! great eating fish.

Love the report and the tuna success, you seem to have dialed it in well since last year and I think we all appreciate you sharing what you’ve learned. Never had bonito, but I’m very intrigued now.

A buddy who fishes offshore hard said in his opinion, the conditions you describe indicate that bluefin should be following those same schools as they pass through relatively quickly this time of year too.

Go big or go home… and eat sashimi anyway!?

1 Like

Can’t say I have seen bluefin busting a school of bonito but that would be a sight.

Having a bluefin on would be riot, briefly, on my tackle. I will keep a watch out and maybe rig a Bonito to troll next time!