Advice/Input on Preventive Maintenance (auto)

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Thanks folks! Funny, since posting, I have read a couple of forums about transmissions and problems after changing filters. May just leave that alone and do the other stuff.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Never once in 35 yearsof doing it have I seen a transmission fail or have issues from changing fluid and filter. Unless maybe filter did not get installed right or wrong fluid used. Every 100,000 for me and 60,000 on anything pulling a hard load.

What seems to be the case is people tend to have an issue with a trans and then think changing fluid will help issue. Trans fails and person blames it on fluid change. I’ll tell anyone and back it up that they are full of crap if they think servicing a transmission properly will cause it to fail.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

When is the timing belt supposed to be changed?

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Pretty sure that engine has a chain and not a belt. No where near time to change that.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Good ole American pushrod engines don’t have a timing belt. That’s just for fancy overhead cam engines.

I am not aware of a pushrod engine that uses a belt. But I am sure someone might have one.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Shows how much I know.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo
quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

Good ole American pushrod engines don’t have a timing belt. That’s just for fancy overhead cam engines.

I am not aware of a pushrod engine that uses a belt. But I am sure someone might have one.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

We run a belt drive on one of the race car’s… :wink:

I’m with you Geronimo, I can’t think of any stock one either.

Surffishlife, I think most manufactures recommend inspection at 60,000 and replacement @ 100,000.

My daughters friend failed to put one on her honda even after 280,000. It failed and she got lucky, I only had to replace a couple of valves no other damage… she traded it at 340,000 still running good.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”