Anyone purchased a used boat lately?

Yea, you guys are right in a lot of ways. Seriously, our finances are fine and we make enough to justify the boat payment, but after listening to you guys and looking around - I think I can find something around $10k that would be reasonable and reliable. AT that price, I won’t need to arrange financing, but will still get me safely on the water. Regardless, we will be on the water this spring - just may not be exactly what we’re wanting. That being said, if any of you guys see anything that stands out in the 8-10k range, feel free to let me know. Thanks ya’ll!

It’s not what you can afford, it’s what you can afford today! ( I think I got that off a car forum)

I’m not with most of these guys. If you are comfortable taking on the debt then do it.
Buy the boat you know will do what you need it to.
Sounds like your going to get a 20ft CC.
Buy quality
Buy reliability
Buy one that has been meticulously maintained
Buy one that you will be happy with
Buy on that your wife will be happy with
Buy one that you will want to keep for 10 years or more.

The more you like it, the more you will use it, the more it will be worth it.

A boat sitting in your driveway was a waste of every penny.
A boat on the water is worth every penny.

Whatever you decide to do, don’t forget to budget for insurance, taxes (they are ridiculous), gas, maintenance, towing gas, oil, fishing supplies, upgrades, etc. There is a reason why B.O.A.T. is an acronym.

All of those factors is why I wouldn’t want a $400 a month boat payment. Heaven forbid you need storage on top of all that.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

It sounds like you’re on the younger side (under 30, that’s young to me at least) and have a decent combined income. Make sure you and the wife are paying YOURSELVES first and taking advantage of a co match on your 401K. The magic of compounding interest is amazing and you need to be saving as much as you can now (before kids and all these other crazy expenses come up, which they will).
The fact that you have a mort, 2 car loans and student loans AND your considering adding a boat loan is a lot of monthly debt.
That all being said, we bought our first boat about this time last year and absolutely love it. But, paid cash and don’t have to write the bank a check every month.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

If you don’t use it 3-4 times a month, don’t even consider financing.

I financed my boat because of that. I didn’t want something to work on all the time. But I regret it because it wasn’t exactly what I wanted. Of course, I didn’t realize that until I had it a while and wanted to start taking more friends. now I want something that can handle 4 people comfortably.

Then comes taxes. Holy hell!! They were double what I expected.

So I bought an old hull that I intend to restore. I like the hull better anyway.

I love my boat and I’ll use the crap out of it for the next few years while I build the older one.

Mako 1901 Inshore-Honda 130
1975 13’ Boston Whaler
1977 23 Mako-project
10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

We are in a similar situation, but only have a small mortgage and 2 kids to feed. All the cars, and toys are paid for. I was about to pull the trigger on a $30k boat and finance half of it, but decided paying off my house and saving more for retirement was more important. Picked up a 17’ Whaler project and will satisfy my needs for under $10k.

The big boats, campers, fancy trips will come after my kids are out of college. That’ll make the golden years all the better anyway.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks guys - to answer some of your questions, no - not that young anymore. I’m 35, the fiancee is 33. We would absolutely be using the boat at least once a week March-September or so, plus several weeks straight in July while we’re both off. Outside of those months, I don’t see it getting much use. My best friend (was a frequent member on here until he moved) averaged about 500 hours a year, but his work schedule is slightly better than hours - with us, I’m figuring 300 hours a year or so. And we’ve already accounted for insurance/fuel/maintenance and all that, and storage would be free in our neighborhood lot. Everything has come together, except finding something fairly reliable in the affordable range. I’ve got a few friends with late 90’s to early 2000’s boats - everything from ski boats to CCs, and it seems like theirs are always in the shop for something. Last year, we were out 3 different times (3 different friends, 3 different boats) when their boats died. That’s not something we’re looking to get into. A boat sitting in the mechanic’s shop is as useless as a boat sitting in the driveway when it’s nice outside…

In addition to our financial obligations, we’re able to still invest heavily toward our retirement, so I don’t have to worry about taking from that. The money we’ve been investing in the stock market has far outperformed the 5-6% interest rates I’d see in a boat loan. No kids in our future - our dog, plus all the nieces and nephews are our kids. But, I’m not going to get into all that though - it’s all good. Take care guys - you’ll see me around, probably when I’m looking for help troubleshooting an electrical demon in my 1987 Sea Hog I purchase for $6000…

check your PM’s by the way

good luck with whatever you decide to do

In all honesty, if you are 35, and you and the Mrs. don’t plan to have kids, I say buy the boat you want now and go ahead and book that summer retreat to the Keys.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

May not have been my favorite boat but the one with no loan I had the most fun on. Also check classifieds away from the saltwater. Get one with no corrosion and drive 2 hours to pick it up

300 hrs a year is a lot of hours for a plesure boat (100 trips of 3 hrs) that’s 6 hrs a week of your motor running, I fish at least twice a week and barely log 200 hrs!

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

In all honesty, if you are 35, and you and the Mrs. don’t plan to have kids, I say buy the boat you want now and go ahead and book that summer retreat to the Keys.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yeh, I agree. If kids aren’t part of the scenario, that changes up your options. Now, instead of saving for the kids college, you can justify the boat!!

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

I agree, IF kids are out of the question…

I have 2 kids and in the past few years my boat has seen the water 3 times a year(but it is paid for). This is why we are considering selling it.

You ain’t drunk, till you’re Tickle drunk

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

Look in the classifieds. There is a nice 2005 low hour 172 Triton that will match your wants. Honestly, I read over your financial standing and wondered…what else could you possibly owe on except a boat. Please don’t take my comments as being assy, they are not meant to be.
If you have saved $5000 to put down on a boat then your limit should be $10000 at most.
Going through life up to your eyeballs in debt is no fun.

218WA Sailfish
200 Verado
The "Penn"sion Plan

Thanks guys - yea, to answer you all, no kids in our future. That’s pretty much a given, and we’re on the same page with that. And to answer RDW, we bought a home last year, so we have a mortgage, 2 vehicle loans and student loans - both from professional programs and with very low interest rates (3% or so).

I’m still looking though, just can’t seem to find anything that tickles both my, and the woman’s fancy. Hey, what are your all thoughts on dual consoles? Personally, not a big fan - but it seems like that may be a cheaper compromise between what she and I want. I’m stuck on CC’s, but if I could find one around 10k with a good layout for fishing (older Dorado or something), that would maybe be a good in between. I have a hard time thinking I’d enjoy something like that though, and don’t have much experience riding in one.

quote:
Originally posted by wisertime

Thanks guys - yea, to answer you all, no kids in our future. That’s pretty much a given, and we’re on the same page with that. And to answer RDW, we bought a home last year, so we have a mortgage, 2 vehicle loans and student loans - both from professional programs and with very low interest rates (3% or so).

I’m still looking though, just can’t seem to find anything that tickles both my, and the woman’s fancy. Hey, what are your all thoughts on dual consoles? Personally, not a big fan - but it seems like that may be a cheaper compromise between what she and I want. I’m stuck on CC’s, but if I could find one around 10k with a good layout for fishing (older Dorado or something), that would maybe be a good in between. I have a hard time thinking I’d enjoy something like that though, and don’t have much experience riding in one.

We have a 2014 Key West DFS (dual console) and love it. Granted, I have 2 little kids so I had to make a compromise on the layout and what the wife wanted, but it fishes well.

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

Not sure if this was already said or not. Whatever you do if you buy from an individual. …MAKE SURE you call the county they live in and be positive the property taxes are up to date on the boat. If not and the individual is a complete loser then u get the taxes when you buy the boat. DO NOT TRUST THE DNR WEBSITE! Trust me I speak from experience. Luckily mine was only 175ish for 2 years of back taxes that were unpaid. Could be much worse on a nicer boat.

This seems like a good deal from a member here.

I have the same setup, one year newer and could not be happier with it. Great on gas, very nice dry ride and easy to tow, launch, etc.

Wife loves it, too, and THAT is important!

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=151094

2006 17’ Sea Hunt Triton w/ 90 Yamaha, formerly a 1991 15’ Key West Explorer w/ 60 Johnson.

Thanks for the link, bigt. That’s funny - we’re also looking at a 172 Triton, although not that one. I’ve found one up in the upstate, freshwater boat with fairly low hours on the same motor. I’m about ready to bite, but have to sell the woman on it first. We’ve got family coming in for the Oyster Roast/Boat Show this weekend, so it’d have to be the following weekend before we can do anything. If it’s still there then, I’ll probably make an offer.

That’s the main reason I came on here - so, you Sea Hunt drivers like your boats? I’ve spent the last few days researching everything I can about them. Other than some of them leaking water into the hull, it appears they’re really well built boats for the price. Anything else anyone can tell me? Any and all is appreciated. Thanks guys!

I have a 1999 SH 172. Except I have a good 'ol Johnson 90 hp skeeter fogger on the back of it. Not a nice newer 4 stroke. Absolutely love it. Most small boats seem to have the scupper backflow problem, but mine are nice and high and only have a little water coming through with 2 men in the very back. A non-issue to me but something to note. Probably the biggest livewell and a ton of storage space for a 17 footer. Also very dry for it’s size. I got a little spray a couple times in a cross wind this past weekend, but anybody down there knows it was blowing like hell Sunday afternoon on the Ashley, probably 25 knots.

I have one minor gripe. I have the split low profile bow rails, and they have the “hidden” bolts that I believe to be part of the rail with the washers and nuts on the under side of the liner. They’re bolted to the liner during construction before they set the liner in the hull. One of mine pulled out, furthest forward on the starboard side. They are not accessible and I’m not sure how I can fix it. I know I’ll have to cut a hole in the liner to get access to the bottom side. But I think the bolt was part of the rail and either pulled out or broke off, so I’m not sure how I’ll be able to fix that once I cut that hole. I’m thinking I’ll put a screw out access hatch there and use the same hole I cut to access the bottom side of the bolts when I buy and mount a trolling motor.

I know you said you were in the upstate, but if you just wanted to ride in 172 hull you’re welcome to take a ride aboard mine.