Aquarium Saga

quote:
Originally posted by pescazorro

Edit…just saw your just kidding remark.

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

I figure someone would take the bait. Honestly, the lionfish I want isn’t going to get big enough for filets. But it would suffer that fate before I put him in the ocean.

I did just come from Joe knows reefs. I would recommend anyone interested in a saltwater tank to go there. It’s behind the shopping center where gander mountain is located.

10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I have a 180 RR drilled sitting empty in my parents garage. House I moved into is on a crawl space, and I’m 90% certain it would fall through the floor.

My dream was to do a full blown reef, automated controls with skimmer, kalk and calc reactors in sump, have a float switch hooked up to a dedicated RO to keep water level the same, refugium underneath with a bunch of plant life for natural water filtration, custom LED lighting, wave simulator through a big ass pump and this really neat alternating current thing I bought that I can’t remember what it’s called…It would be legit

My BIL designed houses and trusses for years and years. He said that the vast majority of large tanks are just fine over floor joist. Especially if they are spanning multiple ones. If you have a crawl space you can do like I did and sister up the ones it will be on if they run parallel to the tank. I would be glad to help you with it as a friend and not a contractor.

That’s a really friendly offer and I appreciate it, but it’s more than it just might structurally fail. I’m planning to move in the next couple of years, and the thought of moving all of that setup and livestock frightens me too.

Lots of good info here.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php

I joined Reef central.

Daniel, I don’t blame you a bit on the set up to break down in a couple of years. It is a lot of work.

I need to take pictures.

Careful, their reef of the month will give you envy. Bad for the bank account.

question,i had a 75 gl. years ago, live rock etc…hurricane came and i lost everything,what do u guys use ? generator or back up power of some sort?

If you never ever ever want to put coral in the tank, then carry on with your plan.

If you think in the future you will want corals, then avoid anything which is not pure.
Wood pilings contain chemicals that will leach from the wood and remain in the tank, even after completely emptying and starting over, the chemicals will leach into the sealant, cracks, etc.
Over time it will release and kill the corals.
Never use any type of Copper treatment. Commonly used to treat fish diseases. It again will leach into the tank and kill corals. Once copper has been used in a tank, it should never be used to house coral.
Be very careful of what you pull from the local waters. Rock, dirt, wood, etc. It may be fine for fish, but again may leach unknown chemicals into the tank and kill any future coral.

Basically, if you plan to have corals in the tank at all, ever, don’t put anything in there that isn’t coral approved, sanitized, approved for saltwater aquariums, etc.

Blue crabs will kill the fish. They don’t go together. You get one or the other. Doesn’t matter what fish, the blue crab will eventually get it.

Get a Quarantine tank. Doesn’t need to be large, but anything going in the large tank should first go in the quarantine tank.

Reverse Osmosis water will be your friend and help minimize contamination, disease, pests.

Done right, saltwater tanks can be a blast and once dialed in, low maintenance, but takes a lot to get there.

Reefcentral was my best resource when I had my 200gal reef. The local guys may be great, but understand they are there to make money and there is no way one person can know everything about the whole aquarium trade.

You have about 2 years of reading ahead of you on Reefcentral.

If I was going to do a local tank, I’d do fish only with some live rock and get a puffer fish or a trigger from offshore. Feed it fiddler crabs, clams, shrimp, etc. Be really easy to find food.

quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

question,i had a 75 gl. years ago, live rock etc…hurricane came and i lost everything,what do u guys use ? generator or back up power of some sort?

Yeah I have a generator for Hurricane season and would use that in case of a power loss. Also have a power strip that can connect to a car or marine battery via jumper cables.

Just upgraded to a 110 gallon from a 75 bow front. used to keep both SPS and LPS but after a few years it was a ton of work with all the dosing you have to do.

now I just keep softies, leathers, zoa’s clownfish mushrooms etc and its pretty easy. Just do the 20% change every 3 weeks max and use the same salt. All I have to do is dose a quirt of calcuim every other day but its become reoutine. I have not tested my water in 5 years and have not lost a fish in that time. Lost a few zoas here and there but not bad.