assembling the reef anchor

uhmmmmmmmm
I was kidding that the color of the zip ties didnt match, you know, they arent color coordinated
It should work fine
I think you are going to hate having to re rig every time you set teh anchor.
it sort of defeats the purpose of the reef anchor.
the anchor is designed to get caughtup in the reef, and then the tines will straighten to remove it.

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo72
quote:
Originally posted by stickman

do you think it’ll give before those 2 tines bend out on your set-up, and the shackle slips off

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

that’s why I incorporated all of the tines in the wrapping around of the chain at the tine end. I can see one or two tines getting bent out when pulling off of structure, but the odds of all 5 tines pulling straight enough for the chain to come completely off is very very slim.

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org

not so sure about that. I have never lost one, but Kyle and I broke two tines off of his

][/img]

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

not so sure about that. I have never lost one, but Kyle and I broke two tines off of his

][/img]

this is what I was looking for sellsfish. I double checked the chain wrapped around the base of the tines and it is tight, tight enough that even if rigged on your anchor above it would not slip off. ALL of the tines would have to bend out as straight as where the tines come out of the shaft of the anchor. my thinking is by using the zip-ties they will break long before all 5 tines straighten out. I guess I could have one of my shop guys weld me an aluminum ring or eyebolt at the base of the tines and shackle directly to that. I might just throw it in the truck on Sat and have y’all visually check it out for me.

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

www.savethelight.org

Too many ties. I do have mine rigged with the chain hooked to the tines just in case but just one zip tie is all you need. You don’t need those big zip ties either. The small ones will work fine. You do want the zip tie to break don’t you? I just use one small tie from the chain to the main eye. I’ve bent my tines plenty and never even broke the small tie. You are seriously over-thinking this thing.

Being superstitious is bad luck.

quote:
Originally posted by SCSuperfly

You are seriously over-thinking this thing

I tend to do that :smiley:
thanks for the input, I appreciate it…

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

www.savethelight.org

Bonzo - when we use a reef anchor, we only have one zip tie securing the chain to the anchor, and have never had a problem with it breaking prematurely. We fish in a 21 footer.

you are gonna lose that one…

Fish More!

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

you are gonna lose that one

would you mind sharing your opinion as to why? seriously, I need all the input I can get…

www.savethelight.org

A few tears ago I did break off a tine, took it back to Stacey at Boaters World ( ah, remember the days?..). She went to the stacks, got me a new one and kept the broken one to get her credit for it. I am pretty confident West Marine will do the same; Mighty Mite backs their product.
No criticism intended, man, but I truly don’t understand all those ties - I just drop mine down with 12 ft of chain and yank it out with the boat if necessary and it works like it’s supposed to.
Let me remind all to not tie your boat down too tight on the reefs; leave enough scope to handle a big wave/wake.
Take a marker bouy, too - - that really reduces the time it takes to get positioned where you want to be. Also, there is a delay in your sonar. I throw out the marker bouy at the first sign of the structure; by the time you see it all, you are 10 - 20 feet past it.
My $.02 worth, be careful out there,
NaClH20