Best hamburger

quote:
Originally posted by Off the chain

I don’t know about the size the burgers changing. But a 1/3lb burgers Fry’s & a giant onion rings 9 bucks. Beats the hell out of McDonald’s. I wasn’t aware they had any beef farms around the Mount pleasant area. I’m from North Myrtle Beach. But oh well

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Yeah Mels changed the patty size years back, looks like one of those Krystal things now.

There are some prized beef cattle being raised right in the heart of Mt P, most beenyahs don’t even know, the comeyahs haven’t a clue. Small herd, no growth hormones,steroids, or other crap that is injected in commercial beef.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Ya’ll all gon’a have hard artries! You got’a eat turkey burgers.

https://www.piedmontese.com/

The Happy Butcher in Lexington carries certified Piedmontese beef. Short of Wagyu, it’s as good (flavor and tenderness) as any prime grade beef I’ve ever eaten and it’s exponentially leaner and healthier for you than any other breed of beef out there. Upon request, he’ll grind up some Piedmontese steaks (I recommend ribeyes) into 8oz burgers for you. Personally, I’d ask him to remove the ribeye cap (absolutely the best cut of “steak” on the cow) for cap steaks and then grind the eye for the burgers. You can thank me later.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

It’s not talking crap if you can back it up…and nothing can back it up better than facts.

Sounds like an Omaha Steak operation.

Y’all done broke me:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:

I don’t know about the size the burgers changing. But a 1/3lb burgers Fry’s & a giant onion rings 9 bucks. Beats the hell out of McDonald’s. I wasn’t aware they had any beef farms around the Mount pleasant area. I’m from North Myrtle Beach. But oh well

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Yeah Mels changed the patty size years back, looks like one of those Krystal things now.

There are some prized beef cattle being raised right in the heart of Mt P, most beenyahs don’t even know, the comeyahs haven’t a clue. Small herd, no growth hormones,steroids, or other crap that is injected in commercial beef.

Go for the Mexican beef and you get the same stuff… no growth hormones and range fed. Never notice the burgers being tough, but the steaks can be a little tougher than our American holding pen stuff.

Bad thing now is all the leftist government aholes have put a strangle hold on raising your own and finding someone to butcher it. Not many places left to have a home raised steer butchered at.

We still do a hog or two, but a cow is just too much work with out proper facilities and equipment.

The place old boy brought me my burger basket was Harvest Moon in Ravenel. It was pretty darn good! that was a year ago.

Awhile back when in Bft friends told us about a good deal on steaks at the local Piggly Wiggly.

We found out why they were cheap. Raised in Mexico…Declined the deal when I saw them in the store.

NN

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Awhile back when in Bft friends told us about a good deal on steaks at the local Piggly Wiggly.

We found out why they were cheap. Raised in Mexico…Declined the deal when I saw them in the store.

NN

Mexican beef gets a bad rap. It has to be federally inspected before being able to be sold. It will be a little tougher because it is leaner and free range cattle not like American beef put in tiny holding pens and force fed antibiotic laced feeds and hay. No green grass for these critters.

Sure I love a good fat laden steak, but do to staying away from saturated fats (better late than never) I’ll take the leaner/tougher cuts. You can age them in your refrigerator (google it) and make a world of difference in toughness and taste.

When we still had a butcher to go to we always had ours hung for 14-16 days before processing.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
quote:

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

Go for the Mexican beef and you get the same stuff… no growth hormones and range fed. Never notice the burgers being tough, but the steaks can be a little tougher than our American holding pen stuff.

Bad thing now is all the leftist government aholes have put a strangle hold on raising your own and finding someone to butcher it. Not many places left to have a home raised steer butchered at.

We still do a hog or two, but a cow is just too much work with out proper facilities and equipment.

The place old boy brought me my burger basket was Harvest Moon in Ravenel. It was pretty darn good! that was a year ago.

Please tell me how “ Mexican stuff “,
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

NN

Mexican beef gets a bad rap. It has to be federally inspected before being able to be sold. It will be a little tougher because it is leaner and free range cattle not like American beef put in tiny holding pens and force fed antibiotic laced feeds and hay. No green grass for these critters.

Sure I love a good fat laden steak, but do to staying away from saturated fats (better late than never) I’ll take the leaner/tougher cuts. You can age them in your refrigerator (google it) and make a world of difference in toughness and taste.

When we still had a butcher to go to we always had ours hung for 14-16 days before processing.

Fred, I don’t know if anyone sells it around your neck of the woods but if a more healthy option is what you’re looking for in beef, you should check out Piedmontese beef. A grass fed/grass finished 8oz filet has 2g of saturated fat.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

The place old boy brought me my burger basket was Harvest Moon in Ravene

Nick Tahous. At least the garbage plate

Tall Sail Marine

I don’t eat Mexican beef. It’s legal in Mexico to use night soil for fertilizer.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it’s lost and the story is told. - Me
-What’s the best eating fish, you ask? I’ve found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops)
-Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased)
-RIP my “Puppy Dog” 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I’ll never forget him. What a special friend he was.
-Team Gonna Fish

My 2¢ worth: For me no matter how good the burger is the quality of the fries is just as important. Anything short of twice fried hand cut fresh potatoes with nothing but some salt on them will not support a great burger IMO.

A lot of “gourmet “ burgers now days have huge thick patties which I am not that crazy about, give me a hand formed quality beef patty no more than about 1/2” thick cooked on a char grill or just an old fashion “drugstore burger” cooked on a flat top and some great fries any day. A fresh milkshake made with real ice cream is a nice touch too.

I have only tried the burgers in Charleston at a few places but about the best I have had was Jim & Nicks downtown, good fries there also.

I live in the Myrtle Beach area and the best burger I have found is the bacon cheese burger at Greg’s Cabana Grill on 17 Business in Garden City, fries are average but substitute the homemade chips and ask for extra crispy, also ask to cook it medium, much moister that way and not at all too rare for most.

My job took me to most of America over the years and I always searched for great burgers and fries and great BBQ no matter where I was. Not a burger but If you ever go to St Louis, MO try a bacon sandwich and milkshake at the Crown Candy Store, both are amazing.

Worst State for BBQ anywhere I have been : California

Best BBQ Anywhere: That really varies with what you like, sauce is very important to me. There is a lot of really good BBQ in Texas and Tennessee but not all of it is particularly good. Ribs in TN are phenomenal at a lot of places.

My personal favorite BBQ in SC: Real TX Style Brisket (ask for moist) at Lewis BBQ in Charleston, but I like moist brisket better than pork. I am not a fan of Maurice’s BBQ but I do think some things at Melvin’s is pretty good.

What about the Scott’s BBQ in Charleston, anybody tried it yet?

Excuse the Long post but I am bored this morning :smiley:

I know this thread is about burgers but Rodney Scott’s BBQ is phenomenal. The fist time I had his whole hog BBQ was when he was still in Hemmingway and other than a fancier location in Charleston (I’m pretty sure he’s either opening or has already opened another spot in Alabama), the BBQ itself is still incredible. They don’t just handout James Beard Awards to just anyone slinging Q.

Lewis is awesome TX style Q as well.

quote:

Any of the above make their burgers from cattle raised locally, here in Mt.Pleasant? Probably not…

http://bigbillysburgerjoint.com/specials/ Three Gates Thursday, Big Billy cooks up burgers from a local source every Thursday. I bet next weeks pay check that Billy’s burger is better than Melvin’s…besides, Mel changed their patty size not long ago , 'bout like a slider now…

Went to Bigbilly’s the other day. They no longer do THREE GATES THURSDAYS.

I got a bison burger; it was pretty good.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Big guy like you didn’t order both?

They no longer do it…

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Charleston sports pub or low down bar and grill, or bohemian bull…all on James island James island

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

paiges has one of the best Ive had