BIG HAMMERHEAD SHARK !!!

That was one big hammer. I bet they had a lot of steaks from him and some good shark fin soup.

It is unfortunate that a fish like that has to be killed especially in this day and age when large sharks are increasingly rare. The only reason I can think of why it was brought to the scales was to make someone’s peter feel bigger.

I am not a treehugger or anything, just respectful of natural of our natural resources

Iain Pelto - Alley Cat Custom Tackle
www.fishalleycat.com
Edgewater 185CC “Jumpin’ Bean II”

Article states they didnt intend to kill the shark, but that it died during the stuggle…

Hey hairball, I’m with you. But I do love to fish for sharks. I don’t keep any, only photograph them. It’s sad to think that only 4.2 people are killed annually by sharks worldwide, but up to 73 million sharks are killed for their fins each year!!! :roll_eyes:
sharkseeker

last year me and my wife were at myrtle beach and we went parasailing and while up in the air about 200ft we saw a hammerhead swimming on top of the water and even that far up the shark looked every bit of 10ft long, my wife went nuts:sunglasses:

quote:
Originally posted by sharkseeker

Hello fellow fishermen: For those of you who love shark fishing as much as I do, here’s a article to help get you motivated this coming season! Read it here: FOXNEWS.COM HOME > U.S. The article was on Thursday, March 6, 2008.
sharkseeker

i posted these in georgetown forum since i live in MI but i thought these to good to miss. my buddy captain greg bogden sent these pictures of the hammerhead they caught on his boat. its a 27’ conch to give some perspective. the first pic is of his wife kelly and their two boys

Glad to see that Captain Bogden is doing his part to raise his yung’ins to be conservationists. There is no skill in catching a shark, and most of these people look like greedy fools when pulling them onto the dock. I love a good fight, but better is the man who leaves an specimen like this alive in the oceans. There were more of these sized in the 80’s, less in the 90’s, now we are down to the last handful. Thanks to Dad, little Junior in the photo may never get to see a shark that big again. Home his memory is good

he didn’t catch it someone on his boat did. article states they did not want to kill it but it died after the struggle.

Well said 15ftlover. :smiley: I’m all about the fight and then taking a picture! :smiley: Then releasing the catch! :wink: I know that within my life time, the amount of large sharks has decreased. :roll_eyes: I say, “let’um fight and let’um live”!
sharkseeker

I cannot imagine, pulling something back in alonside the boat.

Is this the same fish that had 50+ pups in it’s gut?

Capt. Greg is a friend of mine and my brother. We have fished on the permitted and also his new boat the orion. He is the man…

He was published in SWS last year for a 800-900lb mako he caught while pulling up the lines from a no-bite swordie mission 5 miles out the LW inlet.

If you ever get the chance, fish with Capt. Greg… I have fished with alot of people, but he is the man… seriously. Always on the fish… always.

“Mess with the best… get hooked like the rest!”

“Why’s it gotta be this way?”

22’ Angler WA / 16’ Key Largo CC

15ftlover…

You ever caught a fish that big?? Do you now what happens when you do catch a fish that big on smaller tackle?? Did not think so.

P.S. don’t be a douche… the fish died in the struggle as do MANY big fish when caught on smaller tackle and taking hours to bring in… Maybe instead of bashing people you could spend your free time writing a book about how to give CPR to BIG sharks.

not the same fish with the 45+ pups in the gut… different fish… that fish towed the boat 17 miles out to see in a flats boat. The fish was caught with a ray…

quote:
Originally posted by Santiago

Is this the same fish that had 50+ pups in it’s gut?

No, that one was caught in BGP 2 years ago, if Im not mistaken.

macfos you are so right about Capt Greg he is the man. how did you like the shearline “orion” awesome boat to sailfish out of. here is a pick of the tower, my wife and i went 12 for 14 on the sails talk about a pretty site rolling into sailfish

I really don’t think it’s a problem with keeping and killing an occasional trophy fish such as this after a long hard fight. Stuff like this has nothing to do with the reason sharks have declined. I say this having fished for sharks for over forty years and having tagged and released over a thousand. The commercial boys are the reason for the decline in population, not the occasional trophy fish in my opinion. And if you think that catching a hammerhead like this is nothing then you obviously have never done it; they often fight to the death.

killer

Sometimes, you just gotta roll wit it, roll wit it

Where is Capt. Greg out of?

Wahoo wackaher… go suck a dogfish you puss…

Does anyone one of you know that Capt. Bogden is a Marine Biologist and that he swims with sharks and documents the reefs for the DNR and other local agencies along with supplying fishing trends to local agencies?? This is not your normal “fishing captain”

You sh*t wad.

Last time I went out with CGB we took over 150lbs of cobia in 4 fish and learned more than you will ever know about marine biology. CGB has more know how in half of his pinky than any dumb talking slut on this site… even the best. I am telling you.