Birds....lets see your best!

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Rebel T2i and a Sigma (‘bigma’) 50-500mm I wish I could afford some 'better lenses… some of the older pictures are with a Tamron 18-270mm

Big difference from the tamron to that bigma. Some people swear by it. Your images are certainly improving, huge difference in quality from last year. I can honestly see the change. Are you using a tripod or mostly handheld stuff?

I just bought Canon’s 100-400L and have only used it a handful of times so far. Can’t wait to get out and chase some tailers with it! I’ll tell you this though, at F7.1 or F8 and 400mm, it’s sharp as a tack. My last lens was sharp at around 250\260 but would soften slightly at 300mm. Not the same concerns with the new lens. Those redfish in the grad don’t stand a chance!

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Ricky, I do mostly handheld. Most of the time my pictures are things that I just happen upon and don’t have time to set up a tripod, however, I keep it in the trunk. I am wanting a L series, but haven’t had the spare money. The Tamron is a great lens, but any of them tend to get soft or fuzzy at the outer zoom limits. I like the Tamron for sunrise/ sunset pictures because I have a circular polarized filter for it.

><>

Awesome!

Right there is the biggest part of taking good outdoor pictures: being in the right place at the right time! Nice job.

quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Right there is the biggest part of taking good outdoor pictures: being in the right place at the right time! Nice job.

Being in the right place with the wrong camera might let you occasionally capture good pictures but you guys have clearly shown there is a difference between good pictures and great photography. To get the results you’re getting in your photo’s how much setting and focusing are you having to do with the equipment you’re using?

><>

Some amazing stuff on this thread. Nice :smiley:

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

For sure. Makes me down right embarrassed to show mine [:I]

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

All pictures are welcome. We should use this section to learn new techniques and grow. I love looking at others’ work if it’s amateur or professional.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out
quote:
Originally posted by bgf

Being in the right place with the wrong camera might let you occasionally capture good pictures but you guys have clearly shown there is a difference between good pictures and great photography. To get the results you’re getting in your photo’s how much setting and focusing are you having to do with the equipment you’re using?

><>

I am no professional; but I really enjoy my photography. It took me a long time to step out of the comfort zone of automatic settings on the camera. Most of the time, mine are not much different than those settings unless I want blurrier background.. etc That is a starting place... pay attention to the settings that come up in a program, such as 'Landscape', then change your settings slightly and see how the picture is affected. Use higher shutter speeds to capture motion, and lower to add light in dim scenarios. A lot of good reading and tips here : http://digital-photography-school.com/
quote:
Originally posted by bgf
quote:
Originally posted by Flat-Out
quote:
Originally posted by bgf

><>

I am no professional; but I really enjoy my photography. It took me a long time to step out of the comfort zone of automatic settings on the camera. Most of the time, mine are not much different than those settings unless I want blurrier background.. etc That is a starting place... pay attention to the settings that come up in a program, such as 'Landscape', then change your settings slightly and see how the picture is affected. Use higher shutter speeds to capture motion, and lower to add light in dim scenarios. A lot of good reading and tips here : http://digital-photography-school.com/

Thanks for the web site… at first glance it looks packed with good beginner tips and it looks like it will let you go as deep as you want to go. I’m going to try experimenting with my settings like you suggested and see if I get comfortable enough to m

Easiest way to start is by using time value setting. TV on your DSLR. This let’s you control shutter speed and the camera controls everything else.

Or use aperature priority. AP on your DSLR. You control the f stop and camera does everything else. Aperature size controls the depth of field or how blurry the background will be.

Also, be sure you use your built in light meter inside the viewfinder. This will help getting correct exposures.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Easiest way to start is by using time value setting. TV on your DSLR. This let’s you control shutter speed and the camera controls everything else.

Or use aperature priority. AP on your DSLR. You control the f stop and camera does everything else. Aperature size controls the depth of field or how blurry the background will be.

Also, be sure you use your built in light meter inside the viewfinder. This will help getting correct exposures.

That’s a pro tip, right there! I shoot in AV mode a lot and use TV mostly for longer, low light or night shots… which I have in no way mastered

I don’t have a DSLR camera just a small compact camera that doesn’t have many manual settings. I’ve been able to get some good pictures with it but I think I’m about ready to move into a better camera to see if I can improve on the quality of them. Would you suggest an entry level camera to learn on or a more advanced camera that you can stay with?

><>