Boat sank, what next…

That is very good advise. Get it running quickly. Might require removing the heads and drying out the cylinders and flushing out the carbs and Wd 40 on the electrical. If it can start it’s fixable. Maybe

you’ll create more issues trying to pull the heads. Getting it to fire up will get fuel/oil mix thru the crankcase. I had a customer loose his outboard off teh back of his jon boat up on teh lake, a year later, teh water level was low and he found it. A quick trip to the car wash to de-grime it. Poured diesel fuel in teh carb till it filled the entire crank case. Once I got there, I did a quick carb job, flushed everything and fired it up and ran. He used that motor for a couple more years. Yea, it was fresh water, not salt. But getting the internal bearings flushed of water is critical to a 2 stroke outboard that went under. Most likely, if it hasn’t been cranked up or pickled by now, its probably locked up

1 Like

I would bet it is locked up. HAd a boat with twin Cummins b4s go down when marine growth hung the floating dock and the dock fell on top of the boat. Total loss. Submerged engine and trans I. Kero. Had to remove the heads oil pan Cleaned everything up and put it back together had to buy a starter 2,and injectors The trans were rebuilt Finished up and after the insurance payout we had a net loss and a running boat that was practically un saleable we would’ve been better off to take the insurance pay out and walk away from it

Tough lesson

Always heard if they go under to leave them under until you’re ready to get to work on it… seems I heard right. Good luck to the OP, you’ve got a good down payment on what you want at least. Good lesson on insured values too… sucks you had to learn it the hard way this time.

1 Like

If oil or fuel is coming up to the surface you are required to get the boat out of the water. You also get the pleasure of paying for the oil clean up and the possible fines