"Commando" smart phone.... fishing/hunting with it

quote:
Originally posted by Cltdeerhunter

all the screens are dim in the sun. there is no way to make a screen that bright and have the battery last all day. I don’t sell a lot of that phone but the ones i have sold do really well and don’t come back with issues.

2006 pioneer 197 SF 150 4s

Ah, you must be a rep. Thanks for the info here, glad to know they seem to be fairly tough.

The only issue I have with mine is that it locks up on me occasionally, as if it’s stubbed it’s toe. After a minute (literally) or so, it comes to it’s senses and is OK. I don’t have to do the battery-pull thing to cycle it.

The screen on mine is reasonable in the sun. It’s as good as my LG Viper 4G.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

My phone has started “losing it’s mind” ever since the newer model hit the market. Conspiracy to make me upgrade?

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

You and I think alike, Capt.

I recommend if you do upgrade that you purchase an app called “Nova Launcher” (it’s just a few dollars). You probably will not like the home page and app/widget drawer on the Commando, it’s just over-the-top military decoration (commando overkill). If you use Nova Launcher, and make that your default launcher, it turns your home page and app/widget drawer into something FAR more customizable and clean looking. I use it on every one of my Android devices.

Another big plus for the newer Commando, it runs on Android 4.0, and you can actually disable almost all of the bloatware (it comes with a LOT of bloatware). It removes the icon from your app drawer, and disables it from running in the background and downloading data.

It’s a decent phone. You’ll be delighted with the increased processor speed, it’s vastly more powerful.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

I’ve had just about every Casio rugged phone, since the G’Zone several years ago. I just upgraded to the Commando 4G, from the 3G, it’s so much better. I have big man hands and I’m still able to type on the screen. I wish the camera was as good as the Casio Exilim rugged flip phone, but other than that, it’s tight.

Blessed to be a true Jim Isle boy

redfish_matt - after seeing this discussion I’m looking to upgrade to the 4G, but have a quick question: Will the new model charge from any USB connection, or does it require a specific charger? My 3G will only recognize certain chargers (Verizon brand or some knock-offs) but won’t charge from a standard USB power adapter. Drives me crazy.

Angler 204 FX
Yamaha 150

that device is not crazy about chargers like the other one was. You are good to go on micro usb connection, just not to a pc the amps are not that high coming off a pc usb outlet and the charge is really slow.

starting selling a lot more of those phones lately. pricing has been pretty good. I have not seen a single issue with it yet.

Cltdeerhunter, my phone is buggy. It will often freeze on a screen (especially the text messaging screen). If I am typing a text, and get a call, it often freezes, meaning I cannot answer the call---- it responds to no button except the main power button at the top, which cuts off the incoming call.

Other folks have reported similar issues with it, but other than that, the phone has been fine.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie

redfish_matt - after seeing this discussion I’m looking to upgrade to the 4G, but have a quick question: Will the new model charge from any USB connection, or does it require a specific charger? My 3G will only recognize certain chargers (Verizon brand or some knock-offs) but won’t charge from a standard USB power adapter. Drives me crazy.

I have several micro-USB chargers here (a mixture of off-brand, LG, and Casio) and have not had a problem using any of them, so I think you are good. I think it’s disgusting that they will program the phones not to accept other chargers. Most phones that I’ve used over the past few years don’t do this, they will charge on anything. But Verizon is the “big red” and can often get away with whatever the heck they like.

Almost got hoodwinkend into upgrading to the 4g yesterday. Almost.

Went in to find out why my mobile hotspot wasn’t working properly and the kids solution was for me to upgrade and go on some new “no contract plan”

All i wanted was for my hotspot to work properly. I ended up leaving to do more research ( read this thread again) but I also called customer service.
After we took the battery out of my phone and refreshed the network signal I am posting to the site from my ipad thru my phone as a network,

Should I go back in the verizon store today and voice my complaints to the kid that wanted to sell me a new phone instead of addressing my problem I was having?

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

After we took the battery out of my phone and refreshed the network signal I am posting to the site from my ipad thru my phone as a network,

that makes it super convenient…
and for you to not have destroyed this phone yet speaks volumes about its durability…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Which was my excuse to not be apart of some new program where I can upgrade my device every 6 months. First I doubt Casio will be releasing another phone anytime soon and like you said, this one has lasted me almost 2 years now so why get rid of it unless I want to upgrade

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

My Commando phone took a crap on me last night. I use it as my alarm, and it didn’t go off this morning. Fortunately my wife was up with the baby (normal at that time of the morning) and woke me up in time.

There are a lot of folks on the Android forums that have difficulty with this phone locking up, requiring you to pull the battery and “reset” it. It happened to me over the weekend, and last night it seems to have “bit the big one”.

Verizon is sending me a replacement, fortunately, but just know that this phone has some bugs. The tech rep said something about “a software update in the works” but couldn’t give me anything definitive.

The new one locked up?

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

that first commando was not to good of a phone, it was under powered on memory lots of problems with that device after some age.

the 4g one is a lot of better in that category only time will tell. I think there is a pretty good deal on them online right now. So fritz you liked the “EDGE”

I personally would carry an Iphone or samsung s4 and get a lifeproof case for it. Right now I have the droid mini with an otterbox. (company issued device i don’t get much of a choice)

redfish matt which phone do you have new or old. sometimes even new devices are bad or go bad. phones are so mass produced these days i will pull one out of the box and it will be messed up from the orginal start up. I have seen ever type of problem with phones.

IO7 update on iphone 4 has been super fun lately. lots of problems and glitches.

just price the 4g commando, .99 cents,that’s hard to beat. buying one today

Local Boy, Just having fun.

quote:

The new one locked up?

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

Yes, it froze solid and won’t power up. It also seems to have toasted the battery (dead). Battery had 3/4 charge before it froze up/shut off. Whatever it did, it drained the battery to 0%.

I have a replacement phone in hand right now, hopefully this one won’t crap.

quote:
Originally posted by Redfish_matt
quote:

The new one locked up?

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

Yes, it froze solid and won’t power up. It also seems to have toasted the battery (dead). Battery had 3/4 charge before it froze up/shut off. Whatever it did, it drained the battery to 0%.

I have a replacement phone in hand right now, hopefully this one won’t crap.

if you have anymore issues just pm me your contact info and i will see what i can do.

So how is the newest one holding up? Considering one myself but some of the reviews scare me.

Have not had any problems whatsoever out of mine.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I see several reviews complaining about durability of the screen.

www.advoutdoors.com
It is what it is!

Here is a good forum to browse regarding this phone:

http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando-4g-lte/

Also, to the 4G owners, you may still be able to get the free G-shock watch. I registered for mine a couple weeks ago and was confirmed that I was getting one. $170 on Amazon.

http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando-4g-lte/781614-■■■■■■■■■■■■-watch.html

quote:
Originally posted by Fishnengr

So how is the newest one holding up? Considering one myself but some of the reviews scare me.

Durability, mine seems fine. Doesn’t mind getting water splatter on it or being dropped on concrete once in a while.

But the software is a bit glitchy. My first Commando 4G crapped out (froze, wouldn’t charge/power on), and I’ve had the replacement for about two weeks now, and it works flawlessly. Seems to have a more stable software, although I’m not sure what’s different about it.

I did disable EVERY G’Zone app except temp and barometer. I (and a few others) suspect these apps are the problem.

quote:

I see several reviews complaining about durability of the screen.

I haven’t had any problems with the screen, and I’ve dropped it on concrete twice (from waist high). Not exactly the best way to determine anything but I haven’t found mine to be particularly fragile.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theo