Computer Reccomendation

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Wicked

Mhebbard, I was looking at that computer you posted today at Best Buy. How would you rate it? That’s the price point I want to be around.

SeaPro 220CC

Dixie Craft-custom flats boat

Haven’t ever touched it. The specs (IE processor, ram, etc) are actually really good except for hard disk which I would replace with solid state drive -

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485203230&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+ssd+256

now <$100 instead of $140 - has come down fast!

Package wise, I don’t like 17 inch laptops because I am used to smaller + lighter, but my brother likes big screens and doesnt mind the weight as he uses it at a desk. MOST laptops are 15" and ~4 lbs, so this one will be bigger + heavier than others you see.

HP is a pretty good brand, but not the best. Will be good for 4-5+ years (I have older HPs, but by then something better + cheaper will be on the market.)

Editing to say that I dont really expect more than 5 years out of any laptops just because of the pace of computer development.

Well hell I was just selling a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 with keyboard a week ago for $860. Sat on CF and Ebay for weeks with few offers. It was brand new, won it but didn’t need it. Gone now.

Its not a standard laptop and requires a desk to stand on unless you get an attachment for the keyboard (I assume there’s something for this). It was blazing fast since it has a SSD. Seemed cool but didn’t need it as I have an Ipad and reliable laptop. I will say that I’ve never liked Lenovos. My Toshiba was cheap and has be rock solid for 3 years running. Your price range will get you a good laptop. If you can get SSD. I prefer 15.5" or 17’. 13 is too small for me.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

I never buy cutting edge unless I need it (graphics). There is no “future proof” computer- and the things you say you want to use it for are easily handled by 5 year old equipment today.

That $399 laptop plus $140 in parts and 30 min of labor is about the same computer (processor, RAM, and HD) for 1/3 the price of a surface pro.

Weighs 4lb more than the surface pro tablet and probably has little shorter battery. Depends how much you intend to carry it and whether you want a good touchscreen.

I don’t personally understand spending another $1k to get super touchscreen functionality which you wont use to type email, proposals, or work spreadsheets on. You could get a separate ipad for tablet surfing and the laptop for work and STILL come out for a little more than half the price of surface pro.

This sounds like great advice! Obviously I have the link to best buy for the computer. Can you post links or PM links for the other items you mentioned I needed. I may order them and come see you sure enough!

THX
H

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

Here is one for a little more money that is all set up -

–link removed – read that this laptop screen and keyboard are not great.

$659 free shipping
i7 7th gen (the best)
8 g ram
256 gb ssd
add’l 1tb storage
video card (not really needed, but on there)
windows 10

Don’t know where you can go touch one in real life, but this is nicer than mine for less $ than I spent and no parts/labor needed

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

Here is one for a little more money that is all set up -

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834315712

$659 free shipping
i7 7th gen (the best)
8 g ram
256 gb ssd
add’l 1tb storage
video card (not really needed, but on there)
windows 10

Don’t know where you can go touch one in real life, but this is nicer than mine for less $ than I spent and no parts/labor needed

Looks good to me. I think I might upgrade to office 365. Also, should I go ahead with the Norton anti virus? I know these are stupid questions butour IT at work has always handled these things for me and this is more for a personal home computer.

THX
H

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

or should I just stick with the windows 10? The following programs are what I run:

MS Publisher
Outlook
Excel
Microsoft project
Adobe acrobat
Excel
Word

Thanks in advance,
H

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

I got ms office 2016 through the home use program cheap :
https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

i dont know anything about ms project.

would skip norton + mcaffee. I like AVG for free and kaspersky/bitdefender have good ratings. windows 10 is pretty good antivirus wise.

Am reading that that acer has a bad screen and uncomfortable keyboard. will keep looking though - might PM deals instead of spamming here unless other folks are interested.

Just another vote for the Surface Pro. Awesome piece of hardware

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

OK, an update and in need of one last bit of wisdom from the cf.com community…

I ended up buying the surface pro 4 and it is an awesome piece of hardware. I ended up getting a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard for it too.

I bought a 24" Samsung smart TV to use as a monitor and I bought the usb/hdmi adapter antenna from Microsoft which enables the TV to act as monitor.

My problem is, the mouse has a significant lag time between it and the smart TV monitor, so much so that its almost unusable. Is there a remedy for this? I don’t have the Microsoft docking station at this time. Is that what I need to make all this come together? Am I going about this wrong? Is the Samsung smart tv the wrong thing to use as a monitor? I am guessing the lag is just the time it takes for all this wireless stuff to communicate back and forth.

I have adjusted mouse settings and it didnt really do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THX
H

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC