Finally Time to Dump Satellite/Cable TV

Keep an eye out. I picked up 2 of the 4K Firesticks with voice command for 14.99 each a few weeks ago. They may not be that cheap again soon but, I do see them frequently for $25.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by SurfFishLife

According to the website I posted a link to, with a digital antenna in Manning, you should get strong reception on CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS. You would get moderate reception on ABC.

quote:
Originally posted by bigjim5589

Great topic! I live in the sticks up here in Manning and our service sucks! We currently have Spectrum for internet, but went to Dish for TV. I’m not happy with either of them. We switched because of cost, and what’s here is limited. I think FTC is the only other cable provider here.

Dish loses everything every time we get a storm! :angry:

BTW, our phone service sucks too! We have Verizon for our cells, and the signal gets piggybacked on our internet! We lose both often! Am under contract with Verizon, so that will stay, but could certainly use something better for internet!

I’ve lost interest in most current crap on TV, nothing worth watching on there. My wife watches a few things, but even she doesn’t watch as much as she did. Of course “news” is a joke. She checks the local news, but we hardly ever watch anything national.

I’ve lost interest in most sports too, but if there is something out there that shows college/or some world sports, or amateur might check it out. My one son lives with me, he’s dealing with some health issues, and he’s a big rugby fan. He played until his health wouldn’t allow it. I could get into watching it! :smiley:

Anyway, will be checking this out with great anticipation! Thanks!

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

Sucks it calculates the signal strength measured from a 30ft tall

Yeah, I read somewhere that placing an antenna in the attic is the best way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Sucks it calculates the signal strength measured from a 30ft tall antenna. 99% of people wont have their antenna that tall. If the signal is too weak indoors you could maybe place it in your attic.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

I installed the little flat antenna in my attic of my 3 story. and it gets better picture than on my sat.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

I installed the little flat antenna in my attic of my 3 story. and it gets better picture than on my sat.

Which one?? Saw something like that and thought was BS…

Thanks

NN

I did this a while back. Firesticks on all the tvs; got them at Christmas time for $20 each. Comcast for internet. Streaming Hulu to include live TV has the SEC network, plus ESPNs. Added Netflix, although I don’t really care that much for it anymore.

If it weren’t for wanting live sports, I’d dump the live tv for Hulu. Comcast and hulu together ~$80-$90 monthly. Its still ridiculous, but better than the garbage that AT&T UVERSE was charging.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

That sounds exactly like what I want, SEC network and a couple of other channels. Going to go to Spectrum as soon as I find the time and find out what just internet service costs.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

That sounds exactly like what I want, SEC network and a couple of other channels. Going to go to Spectrum as soon as I find the time and find out what just internet service costs.

As I posted earlier, when I dropped cable, and phone, my internet bill with Charter went from $30.00 to $70.00/month.

We’re paying a little over $200/mo for a phone we don’t want and channels we don’t watch. I’m curious to see what reaction I’ll get when I tell them all I want is internet. Probably give me the “promo shuffle” and I’ll just have to go back in a year and fight with them again.

We cut the cord a few years ago.

Mohu 60 digital antenna
Tivo OTA DVR with lifetime subscription
Tivo Mini’s for each additional TV using Moca network through existing coax to hook to DVR.

Hulu
Netflix
Prime

Internet. own the equipment so there are no taxes, fees, etc. Very important. Do NOT rent equipment.
Your ISP can tell you which modems are compatible.

If you need WiFi check out Google WiFi.

Does anyone use XUMO? It is a free live and on demand app you can put on your ■■■■■■■■■■, Roku or smart TV?

I use Kodi, sounds similar.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishnengr

How do you handle multiple TVs in the home? Do you need multiple devises or does it all wi-fi from one ■■■■■■■■■, etc.

One ■■■■■■■■■ per TV. It basically operates like a phone; you’ll have apps. You can watch HULU, NETFLIX, YOUTUBE, or ESPN, or whatever through their specific apps that you download. Some apps are free, some are subscription based pay apps like HULU.

I haven’t been this confused since damoon’s was on this site

And here I took you for the intellectual type.