First Boat

For your first boat around Charleston, get something you don’t mind getting a little dock rash/ oyster rash on. Its going to happen, nothing you can do about it until you learn to handle the boat in a strong current and learn where you can and cannot run. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just functional and comfortable.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

There are two things, that once you get, you can’t ever get rid of: Aids and 2-strokes.

Hey, I like my old 2-stroke.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

For your first boat around Charleston, get something you don’t mind getting a little dock rash/ oyster rash on. Its going to happen, nothing you can do about it until you learn to handle the boat in a strong current and learn where you can and cannot run. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just functional and comfortable.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Good advice there. I bought a brand new Sea Hunt XP-19 and got a nice case of dock rash on it within a month of owning. Tide was ripping through the landing and I was up against the dock trying to get onto the trailer. I didn’t cry or anything…seriously. I can also tell you that a 21 ft boat is pretty big for your first. Sure, it’s nice on the water, but you need to think about landing it and trailering it too. You probably won’t find much that is relatively “young” in that price range for 20+ ft boats anyway. Like Optiker said, get you a used Key West 1720. Solid.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Hey, I like my old 2-stroke.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Not saying that the won't work. I'm talking re-sale only here...

Love my Yammi 2 stroke and have no intentions of selling it. If I do it won’t be a problem, it’s a high demand engine. Too bad they don’t make them anymore.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I run a yammiehammer 90 two stroking beast on my flats boat. Very sought after motor. Light and loud my brother.

big dog

18ft CC is the perfect starter boat IMO. Get an old McKee craft. Solid. But not Whaler money

If you can afford a new 4 stroke get it. They are no longer as heavy as they once were. Much more inline with 2 strokes weight in the 2013-14 models.

Either way, just get a Yamaha. They are hands down make the best engine. The old ones still run like charms if they have been properly maintained. There are several good hulls out there.

Figure out what’s most important, open space for moving around easily or seating. Or try to meat in middle. There is a common layout for a 18cc.

Good luck. Boating hunting is some fun stuff

well ya know I got this 1988 glassmaster with the evi 70…800 bucks…I beat the tar out of her shes hit more sandbars than a sandbar shark /lol/ scratched up hull winshields don’t line up,put in a plywood floor all that…keeps runnin and floatin … sumpin tah be said for cheap first boat.may be nice to have a new one but id miss the turkeybird too much

Some Fish Some Catch
15.5 glassmaster
70hp evinrude vro