fishing report

crabjack- You’re absolutely correct. [:I]
See…it’s so seldom anyone refers to the map… I had forgotten about it. :wink:

How much or how little info someone chooses to give on a message board is strictly a matter of personal choice. No one should give a report and fall under questioning for not giving map coordinates. We all work hard, burn gas, buy bait, and put in the time. Any helpful info should be truly appreciated. Let’s take it and work with it. Also, some people will share specifics via private email or phone call. Just a few things to consider.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

This topic has generated over970 hits mainly cause it was titled fishing report. Fog and Lee in my humble oplnion gave great advice and info. Get a club map the back side has plenty of stuff even where the fish should generally be certain times of the year. It should help. I. Would like to say more bu t Fog and Lee said it all.

TOM GITTO

Over 1000 hits. How long to you think there would be plenty of fish for everybody if people posted coordinates on this site. Just my 2cents again.See y’all at the banquet on Sat.

TOM GITTO

My experience is specific coordinates are only good for about 24 hours. Sometimes longer in the summer when they are deep in “the big pool” i.e. below Bomb Island. And yes, the Towers are the intake towers at the dam, and the condo’s are the condominiums on the south side of the lake below Spence Island. After 24 hours, all they help you with is general location. Lee’s original post gave all the information I would need to figure out where to start the next week.

Keeping a fishing log has been invaluable. Tom Gitto has over 10 years of data. You should record all the information that you have available for every trip, successful or not. And don’t just keep track of your personal trips, “steal shamelessly” from posts on message boards, discussions with others, or the report that most tournament winners give at monthly meetings following a tournament. And it is not just location, it is time of year, lake level, water and air temp, cloud cover, moon phase, wind speed and direction,what bait, how deep, what method,(free lines, planer boards, transom rods, down rods, etc.). I am somewhat younger than Tom, but I, too, have CRS! That is why I keep a log. Lee, Fogman, Kevin Morse, Garheart, and others have better memories than I do! I cannot tell you how many times my log or information from Tom has put me in the right area to start looking. A grid on a club map should be all the information you would need, if you have decent electronics and know how to use them.

And do not rely on a depth finder to find fish is shallow water, e.g. <15 feet. If you see a fish (on a depth finder)in 15 feet of water, it is an accident! You are looking at a 5 foot diameter circle of the bottom under the boat. I find fish in the shallower water by following the birds, seeing bait, or pulling live bait through the area. The latter has proven most effective for me.

Rick K

Speaking of being burned. Once even I was on the stripers pretty well, years ago. Or I thought I was. I had 3 over 12 lbs. in one week in a very small area of Bear creek. A friend who was with me told one of his good friends where I had been catching them. He told one of his friends… Next time I went to the spot it looked like a Wally Mart parking lot!!!
Same basic thing happened in one of my bass tournaments. Told a guy that this spot we were going to was top secret. He agreed not to share the info where we caught so many keeper bass. For the next two weeks he was in that spot with different guys, showing them the spot and baits I had shown him. I basically catch and release fish. That guy keeps them. He’ll never get any info from me again.
Sorry if I don’t tell exact locations, but I spend a lot of my, also precious, time on the water developing spots and experimenting with different presentations. When I come up with something that works or a friend has and asks me to keep something secret you can bet I will!

Fogman wanted a little more forum activity. Guess he got it!
Again, the more I learn about the lake and the lingo, the more I can “read between the lines” when a member is so kind as to give hints. I’ve already learned a bunch from just this string!
My thought in asking for club map coordinates was that only a limited amount of people would have the additional information. Hopefully the dedicated, responsible type of fisherman. I now see that past experiences have gotten folks leary. Giving information should make you feel good and I totally agree: don’t give out more than you feel comfortable with because once it’s out, IT’S OUT. That said, I’ll probably still ask in the future. No hard feelings if you don’t elaborate. Or if anyone ever wants to PM me a hot tip instead of posting it- feel free.:smiley:

It may not seem like it, but what Lee described could only really be a few spots. I thought it was a good report, there is a lot of information in that one sentence. I can only think of a handful of spots where you are “in” the river channel and it is 31’. Based on where fish were last year when the water just dropped below 50*, I think I have it pinpointed to 2 spots. But the warm front that is moving in will change everything.

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

Lee didn’t post any pictures at all…but I guess he caught some fish. I guess I can trust his report. Seems like a trustworthy fella. :slight_smile: HAHA!!!

Billy

—Team Pitt Crew–
Sailfish 236CC

Man i have to start coming over here more often…i always forget about this board. Great report Lee and thanks. Wish i had read this the other day…

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

I think if Lee said he “SMOKED THEM”, then he caught them really well!!

Not a question in my mind.

Rick K

Nothing like good-natured sparring and debate to get the interest up!:sunglasses: Some good points on both sides were brought up on both sides and good information was exchanged. Above all else, no one’s feelings were hurt. At least, I hope not.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

One of my most embarrassing incidents while fishing occurred several years ago. I was in a friends boat. We were looking for white perch and had only a few in the boat. He spotted another boat, obviously catching perch, with a marker thrown out. To my utter disbelief he proceeded to idle up to within 20’ of their boat, said hello and started fishing right beside them. We knew both of the guys in the other boat and it didn’t seem to bother them. But in my way of thinking we atleast should have left them alone unless they asked us to join them.
I try to be considerate of everyone on the water and only wish the bird chasers would do the same. I’m almost to the point that I don’t want to throw back a small perch because if he doesn’t get off of the surface very fast the gulls will start diving on him and then here come the bird chasers! I guess I can’t blame you live bait fishermen for using the popcorn and/or cracker tricks on occassion. I might have to try them myself in the future.

I found out how the birds react one day when I tossed out one single dead BB and brought the entire ■■■■■ to my boat from over a hundred yards away. Not that looking for birds isn’t effective when you don’t have a clue where to start, but that day I learned that it certainly is no guarantee that baitfish, and therefore stripers, are where the birds are. It’s always great when you see the boats chasing the ■■■■■ and you are far away with bent rods and their binoculars aren’t even pointed in your direction.

[quote]Originally posted by Rick K

I think if Lee said he “SMOKED THEM”, then he caught them really well!!

Not a question in my mind.

Rick K

Ha. There’s no question at all, Rick. Just messing with Lee! :slight_smile:
Good luck with the fishing in Mexico!! Safe travels.

Billy

—Team Pitt Crew–
Sailfish 236CC