Fishing Wires for Electronics

Put a lawnmower battery under the console It is small and will last a long tim on a charge! Be sure to tie it down! Good luck! When you run a string be sure to leave enough slack to make twice the distance so you can Put a loop in the center and use it to pull both ways when you finish the job leave the string in and place all the salvage in a drugstore pill box taped up!

Chapin, I have both the red and yellow spliced together and getting power. The radio works fine until I switch the key to the ignition… Then I get a loud, buzzing alarm from the panel, like an oil pressure alarm. Only thing I can think is some type of ■■■■■■■■ in my panel. Just trying to bypass it since I can’t seem to figure it out.

Coot, I actually hooked it up to one of my trolling motor batteries and it works fine.

I have the red and yellow spliced together and it has been working

When i had to run a rigging line from the console to the battery on my seahunt186 i used an old fishing pole

sounds like you are getting feed back from ignition ground
trolling motor battery should be an easy solution

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Chris v, do you have any experience with the ignition ground issue? I don’t have a grounding block or anything in my console, that I know of.

quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

If your boat has continuous conduit for the cables, and wiring (which it should). Place the hose of a shop vac at one end of the conduit and place a piece of a plastic grocery bag with a string tied to it at the other end. Turn the vac on and it should pull the bag through, if they’re aren’t too many cables already. Sometimes the string alone will work.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same!!!

I would have thought that you were going to tell him to put a tablespoon of Dukes mayonnaise on one end of the conduit and tie a string to a gerbil on the other end and let him run through. Hence, feeding the line…

quote:

Originally posted by Mixed Nutz

It’s in pretty good shape for the shape it’s in!

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel1999

Chapin, I have both the red and yellow spliced together and getting power. The radio works fine until I switch the key to the ignition… Then I get a loud, buzzing alarm from the panel, like an oil pressure alarm. Only thing I can think is some type of ■■■■■■■■ in my panel. Just trying to bypass it since I can’t seem to figure it out.

Are you absolutely sure that you've connected the radio's ground or negative lead to an actual negative connection on the boat (negative buss)?

And sure that the red and yellow are connected to a 12 volt DC source (accessory terminal of the ignition switch or a 12 volt buss)?

From what you describe, it’s not connected correctly. The rest of us connect the radio at the helm without difficulty.

As far as running a fishtape is concerned, if it won’t go through from one end, try it from the other. If it’s a metal fishtape, disconnect the battey negative cable before you start.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll
North Charleston, SC

Im pretty sure. The positive comes straight into the console and ties into the first circuit breaker; and jumper wires connect the rest of the circuit breakers. The negative/ground comes into the console and ties to the last rocker switch and jumpers connect the rest of the switches. And it all ends there. There is no grounding block or bus.

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel1999

Im pretty sure. The positive comes straight into the console and ties into the first circuit breaker; and jumper wires connect the rest of the circuit breakers. The negative/ground comes into the console and ties to the last rocker switch and jumpers connect the rest of the switches. And it all ends there. There is no grounding block or bus.

There is no reason to connect the negative (ground) to the switches unless they have lights in them.

I believe you have overlooked something. Try to get some help. Someone to actually look at your boat.

As a test, leave the positive leads connected as they are but disconnect the negative lead from the radio and use a piece of #12 or larger wire to temporarilly connect the radio’s ground lead directly to the battery’s negative terminal.

If it works OK that way, you are connecting it to the wrong place at the helm.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll
North Charleston, SC