Flag pole

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

How did you raise it? I don’t think you walked it up like an extension ladder!

that was the fun part, first off had plenty of help, my 2 kids and a few of their friends, had a winch operator, 2 on the control ropes, my son on the pier, me in the water, wife standing by with the tie downs and two extra folks if anything went wrong, my son could see everything and he communicated with me and the winch operator

put two 10’ 2x4’s on the pier extending out in a V, this was to prevent the pole from moving too much left or right once it got 2/3 of the way up, had two control ropes on the pole to help manage the sideways movement, attached the hoist rope 20’ up the pole, passed it thru a pulley attached to a tree about 10’ off the ground, then to a winch on a truck

the pole floated so I pushed down on the butt, son had the winch operator raise the pole until it was inside the V area, we stopped to check and make sure the butt was in the right place, then finished raising it up, once it was up we snugged it to the railing post and then adjusted the twist and butt location, the trick was having the pole perfectly inline with the pulley and not letting the butt move - because of that it went straight up with little movement on the control ropes

it went perfect, good plan, good execution, no injuries

pic shows the V boards and how it was temporarily secured to the pier

may have been overkill but if we lost control and it had fallen there were expensive things it would have smashed

work was done, BBQ came off the smoker and beers were opened

Pioneer 197SF

That is wonderful! Great job!

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

VERY COOL! Looks awesome!

“you win some, you lose some…but nothing beats getting some!”

Like I said! Nice Job:smiley:

Redneck Yacht Club pole crew with the smoker going in the background

Naked Pig BBQ in Charleston
https://www.facebook.com/LowcountryBBQ