Flounder legislation passes House, heads to Senate for further consideration

Being from here, there’s not a lot of real locals here now, its been a sad transition to see the shrimp boats disappear from Shem Creek over time.

Its a different world now. Sadly, you’re probably right, its time for them to go. It hurts my heart. And I have family that owns boats up north (McClenllanville).

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I’m pretty sure I have a great picture of you somewhere…man, that’s been some years ago.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Being serious here. I’m all for conservation, even more so as I age. I have no issue with the 5 fish creel. A good idea with all the new pressure from so many more people on the water and the added pollution from so much more run off from the many new houses and businesses on our coast.

Since many of us just learned all flounder over 10-12" are female. ( Again thanks for that information) Why can’t we drop size limits and target some males? No doubt a big slab to get a few fillets off would be nice, but for people that are actually targeting Flounder if they get a limit of 5 ten inchers instead of a limit of 5 15inch plus flounder, would we not be increasing the breeding fish by saving females? As I’ve stated Many out here love the smaller scaled and cooked whole flounder. I may be looking at it all wrong?

As far as putting up an overslot limit. I’ve tried following this legislation, but I don’t see what size would be “overslot”.

Certainly support reducing limits and the slot. Like others posting, had no idea that legal fish were all female. Thanks for the work on this issue.

Please add a voice to those who believe that these thoughtful limits and size restriction changes probably will not change the flounder fishery’s trajectory until something is done about the shrimp boats.

I drive through the shrimp boats often heading out of and back into St. Helena sound to go offshore, sometimes there are four or five at a time. Say whatever the industry wants about fish excluding devices, etc. but the hundreds of birds perched on or flying around each boat aren’t there for the scenery. Same is true for the Tax Man. It would be great if all recreational fishermen could drive close to a shrimp boat sometime and watch an unload to see the massive extent of the waste and destruction for a little bit of shrimp.

I don’t think you would find that shrimp boat are the big culprit many believe they are. I think after a few more years of data science will show that most all our inshore decline is due to Man’s development and destruction of the marshes. Pollution.

So what will be the upper slot limit? I’m sure I don’t think like many catch and release guys, but really, why not a lower size limit along with that upper slot if we are taking all Females and No males?

The mention of birds? I help a friend from time to time as he needs it on a shrimp boat. The Birds are after Shrimp mostly from my experience. Not the fish, although they do get them too. You can look in this pic and see what Jelly Balls do for shrimping at times. I think if you look real close you may see 5 fish and I’d imagine most all the Jellies lived after being dumped back in. Hog chockers are probably your biggest by-catch and not worth anything to recreational fishermen. I’m not saying shrimp boats don’t get some flounder from time to time, but I don’t think they do what many think they do. Mostly Knee jerk. We really don’t have a big shrimp fleet anymore.

I agree with Fed about by catch on shrimp boats. I sometimes help out on a rather large shrimp boat. A days work for a bucket of shrimp is a good deal when he is short handed. We keep a “crew bucket” on the deck for what are called “eating fish” from the by catch. Sometimes we get a flounder but not very often. The fish I love from this bucket is the occasional triple tail!

ZX

Finally! Thanks for the input, Opt!:+1:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

I don’t follow the discussion forum but when the subject is about flounders it caught my eyes. I knew the initiative was happening and as I try chasing flounders I haven’t caught 10 at any given time. So dropping the bag limit to 5 would not be an issue with me and if they increase the slot size that would probably drop my keep limit to none. Bushy Park has not produced many door mats in the number of years I’ve fished for flounders. Either way I’ll support the program.

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education"

220 SeaFox Viper

Well, I’ll assume by now that everyone has seen the new regulations on flounder that go into affect July 1, 2021. But if you haven’t, here’s a brief rundown. No slot but the minimum size increased from 15" to 16", possession limit will be 5 per person with a 10 per boat limit. Salt water license costs will increase, also.

Just like the redfish limits that were tightened years ago and all the other stricter limits imposed over the past few years, I will never in my lifetime see the limits go back the other way even if flounder, spottails, and trout started jumping in the boat like the Asian Carp do.

-The size of a fish is directly proportional to the time between when it's lost and the story is told. - Me -What's the best eating fish, you ask? I've found that for a lot people, its the ones that they happen to be able to catch, clean, and cook. - My Dad (1/13/37 - 9/27/16 I love you Pops) -Until you have loved a dog, part of your soul remains unawakened. Anatole France (paraphrased) -RIP my "Puppy Dog" 10/15/2004 - 1/14/2013. I'll never forget him. What a special friend he was. -Team Gonna Fish

I reckon you know where flounders are. do you know what a Killie fush is??? They the little fush you see in the surf on the beach. You gots to get some of them.

Flounder can’t pass them up. Mud minnows…MEH. Find some sand…current…and a Killie fush for bait…you’ll find your door mat…eventually.

Not fushing advice…risk involved in any endeavor.

Gigging is easy…catching is hard.

Not telling the KOBP whats up…just what I’ve seen.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

congrats on adjudicator status ole man. soak it in, you won’t have it long