freedom to keep it local and wild (*rant warning*)

Turkey Tail

another place where stlhunr the mycophile would’ve already stepped in.

Fred, they’re not that rare i guess, but as previously noted they tend to grow on open scars on older trees. i think they’re more common along roadways because those trees take a lot of pruning and other kinds of damage. best oyster mushroom tree i’ve ever known was a beaten up water oak that was within a couple years of being completely dead, i harvested it for 2 or 3 years every December before it got taken out. wish i’d have known that was happening, i would have arranged to get the trunk. I had the man’s permission to pick it, he’s a commercial crabber. he implored me a bunch of times to check and double check an ID book because he didn’t want to be partially responsible for me poisoning myself. I did some like portobello caps, marinated and grilled with provolone and sprouts on a bun. i imagine for people who don’t eat meat, that’s like the holy grail of sandwiches.

when i found that chicken mushroom a few weeks back, it was the second one in two days so i started looking real hard. found two others that were way past their prime because I hadn’t been looking hard before, but now I know where they live!

if you know, then you know.

shout out to the people of this town for being cool AF, even when s*** gets thick.

I’ve frequented that establishment several times. Dang fine products in there.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Is it too late to find good chicken of the woods?

i don’t think they come out after a freeze, but i could be wrong. i know oyster mushrooms don’t care, seen some in a partially frozen wood duck hole in january a few years back.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/watauga/boone-police-asking-community-for-help-in-finding-lost-stuffed-animal-belonging-to-young-girl/article_f8639fd6-49fe-5ee0-8a15-dcccc33e5329.html

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/community/bunbun-missing-boone-stuffedanimal-bolo-find-bunbun/275-661ca8d7-5165-41f7-85eb-d0155052bbac

take your family to see a blizzard and it goes viral… you hear about this EF?

I did, but didn’t know it was you and your family. Good stuff. Sorry I missed you this trip, but I’ve been a little “under the weather” so to speak.

Next time for sure…glad bun bun found her way home.

The oysters were a big hit by the way.

Last week when I was down in the low country one of the guys found this, its a Lions Mane. They are around now, and if you are lucky enough to find one of these, well, you are lucky enough. Look close around the fungi (especially 18 inches below it) before getting too close with just a knife

So anyway, the lions mane pairs really well with suckling pig and a slightly chilled Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc, but that my friends is a thread for another day.

EF Out

I’ll have to look for lion’s mane in my woods soon.

Long live Bunbun!

I found an old stump on St. Helena Island that has the white mushrooms pictured by Barbawang. Not sure if I want to eat them, but if anyone wants to know where they are PM me.

:astonished:

ZX

@barbawang

I took my happy arse out to revel in the peace and quiet as suggested, and guess what I found,amongst other things?

give up? you’d never have guessed anyway.

I found a couple of puffball mushrooms, some good 'ens too.

Here’s one the size we find occasionally, I’d consider this a good sized puffer, super fresh and ready to eat

Pretty cool huh? Feed a family of 4 no problem I’d wager.

So anyway, heres his daddy. Its the biggest edible shroom Ive ever harvested.

Ladies and gents, I give you ShroomZilla

plus these

1 Like

Holy puffball!

I gotta admit, the first one impressed me.

The second one is incredible, I had no idea they got that big. Have read about the giant ones but that’s next level s*** right there!

I missed this one. Good gracious! I never imagined they could get that big. Golf ball size is all I’ve seen. You can eat them? and how? I could only imagine the dust cloud you could make with one that size when its mature.