Getting rid of vultures

This^^^^is hilarious. Would’ve made a hell of a vid:smiley:!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by spec

About a half-century ago, I was in the Savannah River swamp with my trusty .410. I looked straight up and saw a “roost tree” full of buzzards, and not knowing the law, or thinking about the consequences, I aimed up amongst them, thinking: “I can’t miss”. About 100 buzzards looked down at me and said: “We can’t miss!” I missed. They didn’t!

spec

Hahahahahahhaha that’s rich

Yea most birds **** when they take off. Lightens the load and give some jet propulsion.

First, Most, Biggest

I saw a black Vulture get hit by a car , it was still alive so I was going to do the right thing and take it to the raptor center. I put it in the backseat floorboard and covered it with a towel so it would not get upset,. Well the (() thing puked all over the floor. I don’t think I can describe how horrible vulture vomit smells ! Now I had my whole family in the car and we were literally driving down the road with our heads out the window, I was gagging the whole way. I decided to stop at my mom and dads house to clean up the mess and when we open the door the (() bird flew away. Don’t ever put a vulture in your car!

Oh yeah light firecrackers under the tree right at dusk and scare the roosting birds before they settle problem solved

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

hahahaha this is my favorite thread. I’ve attempted to save a lot of animals but I don’t think I would ever consider putting a vulture in a car. Even the bed of a truck is a stretch.

I would probably rather rescue a skunk.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
I would probably rather rescue a skunk

I’m sure of it!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

I saw a black Vulture get hit by a car , it was still alive so I was going to do the right thing and take it to the raptor center. I put it in the backseat floorboard and covered it with a towel so it would not get upset,. Well the (() thing puked all over the floor. I don’t think I can describe how horrible vulture vomit smells ! Now I had my whole family in the car and we were literally driving down the road with our heads out the window, I was gagging the whole way. I decided to stop at my mom and dads house to clean up the mess and when we open the door the (() bird flew away. Don’t ever put a vulture in your car!

Oh yeah light firecrackers under the tree right at dusk and scare the roosting birds before they settle problem solved

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

\Did the stink wash out of the car? I’d have given two nickles to see that! I was always told it was a defense mechanism of a buzzard to puke like that.

AW, the poor thing was probably car sick:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

AW, the poor thing was probably car sick:smiley:

Can anyone explain why they’re protected? They are EVERYWHERE. The town I live in has a Mexican restaurant with some really smelly dumpsters and across the road is cell tower. At any given time there is at least 100 of those suckers on the tower. A nesting family of them literally tore a piece of tin roof off of old house on family land to make their nest in the attic. The “rent” was bit too “heavy” and they moved on though :stuck_out_tongue:.

You gonna talk or FISH!

quote:
Can anyone explain why they're protected?

Federal Gubmint…Nuf Sed.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

They clean up all the dead **** that’s why they’re protected

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

I know a USDA-WS officer and he will often hang a dead buzzard near a roost to get them to leave. Not sure how you get your hands on a dead one if they have so much protection. Maybe CL could find a dead one and stick it in the mail–

I’m also not sure if having a Fed hang a dead rotting buzzard in your front yard could be looked at as some kind of great tax payer benefit!

ZX

quote:
Maybe CL could find a dead one and stick it in the mail--

Send me your address and I’ll mail you a road kill. The USPS would love that :smiley:

On second thought, no, even I wouldn’t mail a dead buzzard.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by tanksgt

I know a USDA-WS officer and he will often hang a dead buzzard near a roost to get them to leave. Not sure how you get your hands on a dead one if they have so much protection. Maybe CL could find a dead one and stick it in the mail–

I’m also not sure if having a Fed hang a dead rotting buzzard in your front yard could be looked at as some kind of great tax payer benefit!

ZX

Hanging a dead buzzard will not work to detoure other buzzards.

I think bottle rockets and roman candles sounds like the best idea.

I can see the contraption now…100 pieces of pvc on spikes aimed at the tree in a perfect circle, 200-300 bottle rockets placed in the launchers all tied to one long fuse…

…you light the fuse and by 2’s or 3’s, the rockets fire into the tree. Bang-bang…bang-bang.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 20 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 17 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
200-300 bottle rockets placed in the launchers all tied to one long fuse....

I can’t even imagine the disgusting amount of puke and poop they would leave behind after that barrage! It would take a month before you could go in the yard again.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

There is a public landing on Lake Greenwood that the birds hang out at, they roost on cars and trucks! My buddy got a new chevey silverado last week and on the first trip to the lake the buzzards ate all the rubber from around his bed cap! The DNR said we might get a permit to kill only 1, that wont do any good. After talking to them the have been a lot of trucks and cars dammaged. The old name of the lake is Buzzards roost!

A dead buzzard is hanging right now at my Ex DIL sub division.It works.The birds were pulling the roofs apart on some houses.

Stonoman

quote:
Originally posted by stonoman

A dead buzzard is hanging right now at my Ex DIL sub division.It works.The birds were pulling the roofs apart on some houses.

Stonoman

The one’s that I saw hung up got eaten by other buzzards. It works for crows and blackbirds. but never once saw it work for a buzzard. Not to be rude Mr. Stonoman, but I’d guess it was something other than a dead one of their own.

Tell all your neighbors take their kids and pets inside for an hour and see how those sensitive noses like a dose of bear spray.

First, Most, Biggest