How to properly fillet a sheepshead

Tides and weather worked against me, went to Abundant and picked up some sheepshead filets. At….$23/lb. Worth it. Question, how do the commercial guys supply quantities of sheeps?

1 Like

This is where SellsFish (paul) could chime in. Steady fishing and really knowing about Sheeps… and location. They don’t just hang around Pilings.

KC, glad you enjoyed it but damm, that’s more than i would have guessed!

resident commercial saltwater license is $25 which (i think) allows you to sell them to a wholesale dealer… or just become one for another $100. SCDNR - Commercial Saltwater License Pricing

shoot 'em on the reefs, stick 'em in the creeks, hook 'em in the lip… sell what you can catch, i think you’re just bound by recreational limits and laws. this is the legal disclaimer that reminds y’all that I have no idea what i’m talking about when it leaves the recreational realm. Code of Laws Title 50 Fish, Game and Watercraft

i’ll keep feeding my family and turning the rest loose, not that i think sheepshead are in any kind of trouble population-wise at the moment (except for maybe driving down max size and age by keeping the double digit fish on the winter reefs). my circle of fishing buddies has codes of conduct and self-imposed limits that strike the balance that i’d like to see in the fishery. can’t blame a fella for doing what’s legal either. by my math and the 27% yield from above, a limit of nice fish that averaged 5lbs each would be $310 over the counter when the work is all done.

Yeah @barbawang, your last run was worth some $$. Waiting for the bait discussion…

“You have to set the hook right before they bite…”

That’s what my grandmother always said!
My grandfather used to earn a living as a hunting and fishing guide back in the 20’s and 30’s.

Dad and friends from Tybee after he came home from Nam.

5 Likes

Dang Fred, those are some monsters!

Glad you found the pic, thanks for posting it

Dad was not much of a boat person and evidently the dude to the left was the reason. He quit with the boat and walked the groins with a cane pole mostly. Mom’s looking for more pics. He said not a lot of pressure on fishing for them. This was late sixties. Next, Mom is looking for some of the fishing pics from Tyndal AFB. He had a scallop drag net and would come back with a half trash can full. Dad, Mom, my brothers and me would spend a good bit of time shucking them and towards the end Mom would go in and sauté some and fry some for us as we finished up. Story was he caught a state record trout that he weighed at the Marina, had already scaled and gutted it when he got the call on the record. Didn’t phase him a bit. If I didn’t have most all my family Here, I could see myself retiring in Florida.

2 Likes