HVAC Question

quote:
Come see us the next time you are in town. George

I’d love to Sir, I will definitely try to do that. I’d enjoy a cold beer and some more Charleston history. Hope you and yours are doing well.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Air conditioners and heat pumps use a refrigerant called R-22. This is a Hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC), with potential to damage the ozone layer. In 2010, air conditioners using R-22 will no longer be produced. Production of R-22 to service existing equipment will still be permitted until 2020.

R-22 is being replaced in the air conditioning industry with R-410A. In this Answer Guide, we offer a information about R410A homeowners need to know when facing major repairs or replacements.

A Few Facts

Beginning in 2010, no residential air conditioning systems will be built with R-22. The leading replacement is R-410A.
R-410A operates at pressures 50% greater than R-22, affecting product design and field installation practices. Welds on old refrigerant lines may not hold up to the increased pressures.
R-22 uses mineral oil as a lubricant. R-410A uses a synthetic lubricant. These oils cannot mix. You cannot use R-22 components with R-410A components. In some cases it may be possible to clean the old refrigerant lines, though good (and safe) practice dictates replacing them.
The lubricants in R-410A absorb moisture at a faster and greater rate than mineral oil, making installation more difficult and maintenance more critical.
The lubricants in R-410A carry copper oxides and other contaminants through the system that mineral oil left in place. These have the potential to clog thermostatic expansion valves, furthering the need for annual maintenance.

Read more: http://www.firstclassairconditioning.com/webapp/p/231/what-is-r410a#ixzz4k486VVXy
All content may be subject to copyright by Online-Access, Inc. To view the Terms & Conditions, visit http://terms.online-access.com/webapp/GetPage?pid=1&CO=1

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

yep there is a leak and that is now a big legal issue, they need to fix it

and Mr Fred67, replace that old clunker and the HVAC part of your utility bill will drop 40-60%, the efficiencies of the new units are much better than a 22 year old unit

Pioneer 197SF

You are right, been pricing a little. Everyone tells me it’ll drop my electric bill. Hard to replace something that still works good.

I think it’s my hardheadedness that several years ago many told me a central unit was only good for 12 years. What’s probably gonna happen is me coming home on the hottest day to find it broke.

“Why Bruce?”

this is the way to look at it: it will break soon, they never break on a mild day or the day AFTER the big party, it’s best to replace it on your schedule while you are calm and can make a good decision, then begin enjoying the increased comfort and lower utility bill

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

yep there is a leak and that is now a big legal issue, they need to fix it

and Mr Fred67, replace that old clunker and the HVAC part of your utility bill will drop 40-60%, the efficiencies of the new units are much better than a 22 year old unit

Pioneer 197SF

You are right, been pricing a little. Everyone tells me it’ll drop my electric bill. Hard to replace something that still works good.

I think it’s my hardheadedness that several years ago many told me a central unit was only good for 12 years. What’s probably gonna happen is me coming home on the hottest day to find it broke.

“Why Bruce?”

Fred, I have a friend that lives out your way that has been in the business a long time and does work on the side. If you want his contact info, let me know. He will save you a lot of money and I stand behind him 110%.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org