Hydraulic Steering Loose?

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

If Teleflex used a non rebuildable ram, that’s just stupid. The only non servicable rams I have run across working on heavy equipment have been cheap Chinese units. If Teleflex used something like that, and is selling these systems for the premium they are, then shame on them.

Gonna check the fluid level, and if low, go the Lucas oil route. Thanks all!

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

You can rebuild the ram by replacing the end seals. That’s easy, but replacing the center seal/wiper will require a new rod. It’s all one part.

No fluid on the ram. No pitting. No leaks at the helm. Checked the fluid and I could only add about 3/4 of an ounce. Could easily have been just what I wasn’t able to fill when first installed. Pushed the motor from side to side, and while it wasn’t easy to move, it slowly turn under pressure. I think it was pretty rock solid before but can’t confirm.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Mine got loose after 2 years, same thing ,got a bit of air in it, someone told me how to get it out on the forum and it worked like a charm,

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

uflex builds a good system, but it is still susceptible to the same failures as teleflex

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Every comparable part made by any comparable company is susceptible to the same failures. We’re talking about likelihood of something happening (Uflex systems are not as numerous, but the ratio of complaints to sales is SLIM compared to Teleflex), not whether it’s possible.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

The way this is acting, I just don’t see how air is causing it. Sealed hydraulics shouldn’t be able to move like that unless fluid is bypassing an internal seal or bypassing somewhere. Makes me think the comment above about the internal ram seal may be letting fluid by.

I remember on my heavy equipment when the internal seals needed to be rebuilt, after you turned off the system the rams would slowly release and the booms and buckets would lower to the ground. No leaks, and the system worked great with full strength, they just wouldn’t support themselves. Kind of what this is acting like. While turning the wheel, which is really just a pump, it works flawlessly. Let it go static and the ram won’t hold the pressure as the motor force is acting against it.

Kind of disappointing for such a high dollar system. Maybe that is what I get for buying the cheaper Baystar unit over the larger Seastar ram.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Purged the system of all fluid, then replenished with a 20% mixture of Lucas Hydro boost. Thick looking stuff, from what I have read it is supposed to bring the seals back to life and increase the viscosity so fluid won’t bypass as bad. Purged the system of air, and immediately it felt better. It is much tougher to move the engine under force, and maybe it will get even better after it sits. Best I can do, if it still acts up tomorrow, going to start ordering parts.

Thanks!

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

you should not be able to move it at all by hand.
I have seen cylinders fail, hydraulic hoses bulge, and valving in the helm leak causing play in the steering

www.joinrfa.org

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

uflex builds a good system, but it is still susceptible to the same failures as teleflex

www.joinrfa.org

Every comparable part made by any comparable company is susceptible to the same failures. We’re talking about likelihood of something happening (Uflex systems are not as numerous, but the ratio of complaints to sales is SLIM compared to Teleflex), not whether it’s possible.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

you are correct, we have sold an installed 1 uflex hydraulic system, and to my knowledge it has not failed in 2 years, so yes, based on personal experience (that’s what I base all my replies on) the UFLEX has a 100% reliability record. we have installed, repaired and serviced hundreds if not thousands of boats with seastar systems, and have had failures regularly.

www.joinrfa.org

quote:

you should not be able to move it at all by hand.
I have seen cylinders fail, hydraulic hoses bulge, and valving in the helm leak causing play in the steering

www.joinrfa.org

Agreed, but it seems to be slowly getting better. Hoping between this and the motor tab adjustment I can get by with it and start replacing whole components later. It doesn’t rock or move easily. It takes probably about 90-100 #s of force to move it. And it’s so tight now I doubt it would fall to one side while trailering. But we’ll see. I see a helm seal kit and a new ram in my future though.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Forgot to mention. If your motor falls only to one side, there are check valves in the helm that can get fouled. They are accessed under two large plugs that can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. They are 180 apart on either side of the helm.

My engines would not stay turned when underway in either direction so after I replaced the ram, the problem went away.

The tab adjustment helped and made it usable as it took away the torque against the system that couldn’t hold the pressure. But it definitely looks like the end seals on the ram need replacing. I can now actually hear and see fluid squeezing by when I put pressure on the system at full lock. Looks like I’ll be ordering those parts and replacing.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115