I said I would ask, so here goes

My wife has 7 chickens. 8x8 coop with 10 foot run. Coop is hidden behind garage to hide from HOA. No roosters. $30 a month in feed and snacks. We have been averaging 6 to 7 eggs a day for 2 years now. Keep your chickens happy and they will produce.

Found your solution

1 Like

Hawks and Barred Owls can be pretty pernicious. Chicken snakes and rat snakes seem to find their way into anything. Had to 22lr a few snakes that would get into our dove pen years ago. Rats will burrow under and into you pen without a hardware cloth floor. Used to have chickens and quail in our backyard when I was young. Used to use chicken wire around our pens and elevate to avoid feces borne diseases. Hardware cloth floors. Cats (feral and otherwise) would reach into quail pen and grab birds pulling their heads through the chicken wire and mutilate the head in the middle of the night. Sickening. Ended up wrapping sides of pens with hardware cloth.

Years ago I had a little Barn half of it was sectioned off for chicken coop. The other half I used for a shop.
Come home late one night from the bars and the chickens were out there raising hell. There was a big snake about 4 ft long going up the ramp to the nest boxes. I shot him. The following weekend I want to get the lawn mower and discovered I had shot and killed it. Of all places of course right through the center of the motor.

1 Like

Oh no!!! Daggum! I kinda got up on top of my pen and shot down on the snakes I had to kill. I live in the city and I wanted to make sure the 22 didn’t go any further than the dirt underneath.

No snakes were harmed

Hey y’all, I caught an article earlier about Purina, and Tractor Supply, changing their ingredients, in laying mash, to cause Hens to stop, or, significantly reduce, laying eggs.

Not sure of the validity though?

The article is at The Gateway Pundit.
Can’t get it to link from my phone.

This?

I gotz skillz

“Tractor Supply has a board of directors composed of 10 individuals. One of them, Joy Brown, is a former executive for Vanguard, an index fund with $5 trillion under management. The three big index funds, Vanguard, BlackRock, and State Street, substantially financially support the World Economic Forum for the western world, and sources say also for the Shanghai Cooperation Organization for the eastern world.”

“Blackrock”, “Shanghai”!?!

Should go back to using Layena.

Well dang it, go figure as I stopped by tractor supply today and they won’t have any chicks till late Feb.

Thankfully, one of the ladies that works there has plenty as her husband and her have like a couple hundred. She was helpful as to what I would need to get started and gave me her husband’s number to call to get some chicks to get started.

She rattled off some types of chickens and I was like, sheesh. Can’t recall the one she said but gets like 2’ tall with long legs…

I wanna keep it simple and just have plenty of eggs.

She also mentioned that during cold weather they don’t lay many eggs unless have heat lamp in coup.

What ya say about that??

Hey Fred, I do have the 4 sections for a dog kennel behind my shed that hasn’t been used in years.

Thanks, may try to get some chicks this wknd. Will update once I talk to this fella.

NN

Gotta laugh at y’all fools up top, haha.

OTC, did you rebuild it, hehe…

NN

Hey Kage, welcome aboard, and nicely done!

My son has an HOA where he lives. What a pain at times.

Thanks
NN

I’ve been told not to wash fresh laid eggs so that they’ll last a couple of weeks unrefrigerated.
I like eggs. I should get some shickens.

Purina has in general, been hit with complaints from vets, Humane Society, FDA, you name it, but if course their money keeps it pretty much in check, except for honest reporting services.

That’s a true one Fripp. When a chicken lays an egg there is a protective coating put over it. If you don’t wash them they will keep a couple week longer. The wife and I still wash our eggs and then refrigerate them. If you keep fresh shavings in the laying boxes the eggs will be much cleaner, but you still get some poop/crud on them. I have never had an issue with eggs up to 4 weeks cleaned and refrigerated gathered daily. I like clean eggs. to each their own.

I certainly don’t like the idea of chicken poop falling into my scrambled eggs.

I haven’t kept up well with Purina news. I just remember going to the feed store uptown when I was young and buying layena and growena? for the chickens and ducks. Scratch corn too.

Hey Fred, I wil text the guy tomorrow about what he has. Then post here for thoughts…

Not sayin anything could go wrong, but hey, wife meets chicken moron at work(Tractor Supply) and tells husband gave your number to him as he wants to buy some chicks.

Thanks,
NN

Did your Amy get mad?