Jigging newbie questions

I like the 6’ Tiger Lite jigger as mentioned above…short, stout, and has some good backbone…and for a good price…I belly hooked a 35# cobia (out of season no less) with an 8oz bucktail jig in 150’ of water on my Tiger Lite and brought the fish to the boat…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

following up on that star jigging rod… its a (**() work horse! brought up many jacks over 30 pounds yesterday in over 150’ of water. Go get a few before I go buy them out

235 scout sportfish

You do not need an XXH heavy for jigging grouper. That rod is meant for larger Tuna/Pelagics. We use the 4 power Game Type J, which is roughly a medium heavy.

When you get into those weights it impacts the jigs action because they are so stiff. You need that soft tip to load and pitch the jig up when you work it.

Jigging rods are meant to bend!! We have landed +40lb gags with these setups…just because the rod is softer doesn’t mean it doesn’t have power. FYI the more bend in the rod the less pressure is transfered to you. The rod will absorb it more.

Thank a lot everyone.
One more q, what length fluo leader are you using?

Thanks again

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

Pea pod- I had a dream you responded?

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

Pea pod- I had a dream you responded?

Be patient. He’s still trying to get that last squirt out.

(**(), I’ve been off the site for a bit, lots of great posts to catch up on. Lots of great info here! Just want to throw this out in case any of you are interested… Copy and pasted from our Facebook page:

Grouper season opens May 1, and we know you’ll all be putting your jigging hats on! Join us at our North America fishing headquarters and Experience Center on April 23 for an evening of jigging discussion. Shimano North America Fishing President Dave Pfeiffer, Field Marketing Manager Blaine Anderson, and Adam Lytton from Lure, Line, and Tools Product Planning will be presenting on the following topics:

• finding fish
  • gear selection
  • technique
  • rigging
  • fish care

Haddrell’s Point Tackle will be on-site selling Shimano gear at special rates.

Admission is free. Space is limited to the first 100 participants. Please RSVP via this Facebook event.

If you planning on coming, please RSVP to our Facebook post of PM me here…