Large Bait Tank

To much smell to keep in garage, wife won’t like it! Under deck should work.

I would place the tank where you want it and fill it with water from the hose. After a few days take water temperature measurements. If you are less than 85 degrees you can keep the setup very simple for pinfish and croaker.

You could keep a few dozen pinfish with a powerhead, 6" deep bed of sand, macro-algae, and a shop light. Swap the water out once a season. The fish waste will be in ammonia form. The sand bed will convert ammonia to nitrates and the algae will grow off of the nitrates and the shop light. Start slow with 1 or 2 fish and feed lightly. As the bacteria in the sand catches up with the fishes bio load you can add more.

If you don’t already have a pump on hand, consider purchasing salt mix for the initial startup.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by Reeldawg

I’ve got that tank setup in my garage as we speak. It’s basically a 550gallon saltwater tank. It runs year round. Will your tank be inside? In a covered shed or garage? What bait will you be wanting to keep? I’ve had my tank running for almost 20years. A few different setups and two different houses but always the same concept. I’m out of town at a wedding. Will get some pics when I get home if you like.

You are the guy I need to speak with! I was thinking about putting it under the back deck in shade, but could move inside garage. My garage is not climate controlled though. Breakaway walls because of flood zone requirements. I was thinking pinfish, croakers, stuff like that.

Give me a couple days. I’ll be back in Greenville Sunday afternoon. Pinfish, shrimp, croakers, mullet. I bring them all home when we come back. That way I’ve got some bait to get me started. Menhaden are harder to keep. They are filter feeders. Literally full of crap. I’ll try and get something written down tomorrow night for you.

quote:
Originally posted by dan1

I would place the tank where you want it and fill it with water from the hose. After a few days take water temperature measurements. If you are less than 85 degrees you can keep the setup very simple for pinfish and croaker.

You could keep a few dozen pinfish with a powerhead, 6" deep bed of sand, macro-algae, and a shop light. Swap the water out once a season. The fish waste will be in ammonia form. The sand bed will convert ammonia to nitrates and the algae will grow off of the nitrates and the shop light. Start slow with 1 or 2 fish and feed lightly. As the bacteria in the sand catches up with the fishes bio load you can add more.

If you don’t already have a pump on hand, consider purchasing salt mix for the initial startup.

When you say "water from the hose" are you referring to fresh water? Then I would need to add some salt of some sort.
quote:

Give me a couple days. I’ll be back in Greenville Sunday afternoon. Pinfish, shrimp, croakers, mullet. I bring them all home when we come back. That way I’ve got some bait to get me started. Menhaden are harder to keep. They are filter feeders. Literally full of crap. I’ll try and get something written down tomorrow night for you.

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

When you get it done, let us all know how you did it and how it works. Pretty cool notion.

I’ve been getting bait for many years from Joe’s (small bait shop off hwy 21 just past the whale branch bridge on left) She runs piping to the creek and pulls water to her tanks and keeps it circulating with a screened overflow back to the creek. No filtration just constant water movement. She has cinder block “tanks” and mostly uses them for shrimp. Gonna have to be particular in very cold weather as she has had some kill offs in the winter. She has them under cover and under shade trees to keep them cool in the summer months.

Like someone suggested a submersible pump with a cut off. Then you would only have a couple of hours @ low tide without water circulation. How far would you have to run piping and how high up would it have to go to reach your tank location?

“Why Bruce?”

In the coldest weather i have a horse troff heater I float on top of the tank

Skineej= pm sent

Go big or go home!

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/ncu/ncug88004.pdf

Same concept works great for shedders here

Geepers Reeldawg , this must be reel top secret not to post on the forum for all to see . I was so interested to be so let down , [:0]

I have the same size tank. My setup consist of a sump tank made from a 50gallon trash can and a biofilter made from a 25gallon Rubbermaid tub. 2" pipe coming from tank to the sump trash can. Run this so it enters at the top. I have large floor buffing pads(Home Depot tool rental department) then one layer of foam egg crate under that. 2000gph sump pump in the bottom. This prefilter helps protect the pump. The pump won’t last very long pumping dirty water. Pump runs from there to the biofilter. I put my biofilter above my bait tank. Spray bar in the top of the biofilter. Biofilter needs to stay at least 2/3 full before exiting back to bait tank. Fill the biofilter with any sponges the have at dollar tree. Just get a variety without the soap inside. I use a pvc pipe(1 1/2") going from biofilter back to the tank. This way I can adjust the current in the bait tank. Aquarium bubbler in the bottom of the biofilter. That’s pretty much the basic set up. I’ve got a few shut off valves and a way to drain the tank outside. I keep a light over the tank that comes on when it’s dark. The bait get spooky when light flips on or doors open during the day. I’ve added a oxygen tank and regulator with bubbler. It’s unbelievable how much pure o2 helps. If you need more current you can add a small pump inside the tank. You’ll need some chemicals to treat the tap water and rock salt. GET ONLY PURE ROCK SALT. Pool salt works good. Gonna need 75-100#. Maybe more. That’s where I would start. Get a test meter at pet stor. Also get a complete test kit and learn to use it. The biofilter may take 6-10 weeks to start growing good. I would suggest filling 2/3 way up with tap water and the rest at high tide from the creek. That should give you some bacteria to start with. Never wash the biofilter with tap water. It will kill the bacteria. It’s no more then a salt water aquarium. Search google for diy koi pond biofilter. Tons of videos. Every system is slightly different to fit your own needs. I hope I got the basics here. I ty

Whatever happened here? Are we still in the preliminary, thinking about a feasibility study phase?

Did he ever say what kind of bait he wants to keep alive? I don’t read his posts.

23 says you only need 20 baits for a day of fishing.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Did he ever say what kind of bait he wants to keep alive? I don’t read his posts.

23 says you only need 20 baits for a day of fishing.

Pinfish, croakers, grunts, etc.

Skinneej you might as well forget this ideal , your wife ain’t gonna let you keep no stinking bait tank stay under her new house .
Put a smaller one on the end of your dock and a pump on a timer with a float switch . I have a new irrigation pump with a 90 head I would sell ya , if I remember it is 7000 gal per hour .
Good luck

If I had access to a tidal creek I would try pulling water from that, then just emptying back into creek. Only problem is salinity, temp and trash. The tank Isnt gonna stink. The biofilter takes care of all that. Plenty of people have aquariums inside their house. Just don’t leave any dead fish in it. It’s not much maintenance at all once it’s set up and running. Prettty much does it’s own thing.

quote:

I have the same size tank. My setup consist of a sump tank made from a 50gallon trash can and a biofilter made from a 25gallon Rubbermaid tub. 2" pipe coming from tank to the sump trash can. Run this so it enters at the top. I have large floor buffing pads(Home Depot tool rental department) then one layer of foam egg crate under that. 2000gph sump pump in the bottom. This prefilter helps protect the pump. The pump won’t last very long pumping dirty water. Pump runs from there to the biofilter. I put my biofilter above my bait tank. Spray bar in the top of the biofilter. Biofilter needs to stay at least 2/3 full before exiting back to bait tank. Fill the biofilter with any sponges the have at dollar tree. Just get a variety without the soap inside. I use a pvc pipe(1 1/2") going from biofilter back to the tank. This way I can adjust the current in the bait tank. Aquarium bubbler in the bottom of the biofilter. That’s pretty much the basic set up. I’ve got a few shut off valves and a way to drain the tank outside. I keep a light over the tank that comes on when it’s dark. The bait get spooky when light flips on or doors open during the day. I’ve added a oxygen tank and regulator with bubbler. It’s unbelievable how much pure o2 helps. If you need more current you can add a small pump inside the tank. You’ll need some chemicals to treat the tap water and rock salt. GET ONLY PURE ROCK SALT. Pool salt works good. Gonna need 75-100#. Maybe more. That’s where I would start. Get a test meter at pet stor. Also get a complete test kit and learn to use it. The biofilter may take 6-10 weeks to start growing good. I would suggest filling 2/3 way up with tap water and the rest at high tide from the creek. That should give you some bacteria to start with. Never wash the biofilter with tap water. It will kill the bacteria. It’s no more then a salt wa

I’ll take “things that won’t happen this decade” for $200 Alex

Pod , it wont happen ,.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq6kKPWy4cY

Haters Gonna hate, and doubters gonna doubt!