Marsh Hen ?

Have a trip planned for this Saturday. Finally found her some 20 gauge #7 Steel Shot to use in the NWR. Might get in some shooting Friday afternoon close to the house where we can use lead shot too.

They won’t fly until you get right on top of them. Barbawing is spot on with carrying a bucket of rocks with you to help flush them. I’m thinking a Sling shot/ wrist rocket would be a good idea. The key to it is a King tide.

Be worth letting some go if they are way over marsh / pluff mud do to it being a pain to retrieve em. Hope ya have a great time with it. Just listen for the laugh, you’ll find em.

This weekend will be mostly a learning experience for us. We’re going to hunt from our Canoe since we can start hunting right off my SIL’s property . SIL has a huge slag ( rock ) drive way, so sure she won’t notice a bucket full of it missing. :smiley:

Planning to hunt from the boat Nov 14, since that will be an extra high tide.

" listen for the laugh " yep, we hear many of them laughing close to the house while visiting the SIL. Daughter said " They won’t be laughing to much longer. "

Well, needed a bit more water this morning to get them up out of the grass. Only seen a couple but heard a BUNCH in the spots we paddled into with the Canoe. Guess we’ll wait for the next King Tide and take the jon boat. She said she had a good time on the water even though she didn’t get a chance to shoot.

We hunted Bull’s Bay this morning. She had a good time with them. She got 11, and missed as many. Most of the misses were at Birds that were to close. We seen a lot more, but couldn’t close the distance fast enough on them. Wind was a little hard to deal with. She definitely wants to do this again. I’ll post some pics later. Can’t figure out how to using my phone.