New Old Truck Project

“Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area…”

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

“Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area…”

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Here is most sound advice anyone could ever give… Have an “expert” appraise it… Then, sell it as is… Prolly get some decent coin, and then take the money and have fun, etc.

If someone’s idea of fun is busting knuckles, finding parts, free labor, and using precious/limited time with something like this… Have at it… I did one when I was a teenager… Learned a lot about economics, time, etc. Never do another… Found out the best way to do one is find someone else that has it about 90% done, by it for 60% of the parts they “invested”, and finish it…

If someone has never done it before, then they don’t understand…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Here is most sound advice anyone could ever give… Have an “expert” appraise it… Then, sell it as is… Prolly get some decent coin, and then take the money and have fun, etc.

If someone’s idea of fun is busting knuckles, finding parts, free labor, and using precious/limited time with something like this… Have at it… I did one when I was a teenager… Learned a lot about economics, time, etc. Never do another… Found out the best way to do one is find someone else that has it about 90% done, by it for 60% of the parts they “invested”, and finish it…

If someone has never done it before, then they don’t understand…

RBF

Way to bust a bubble.

23Sailfush is excited about fixing up his pa-in-laws truck and you taking the fun out of it.

I’m having envy problems with all the junk his pa-in-law had in the back of the truck and surrounding area. He may have me beat.

RBF, the HOA will shut this down rather quickly so you’re dose of reality is misspent.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy Way to bust a bubble.

23Sailfush is excited about fixing up his pa-in-laws truck and you taking the fun out of it.

I’m having envy problems with all the junk his pa-in-law had in the back of the truck and surrounding area. He may have me beat.

RBF, the HOA will shut this down rather quickly so you’re dose of reality is misspent.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Better to bust a bubble, than a wallet…

Honestly, just trying to help… 23SF is a grown man, and he will make his own decision regardless of my input. I was just offering a realistic perspective, and I would appreciate anyone that did so for me before I decided what to do…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by P-K

Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area. the ‘patina’ look is in right now. Don’t screw this up. #129396;What does your brother in law think?

thats not black paint/primer you sprayed on the hood, is it? please say it was like that when you picked it up and didnt do that …

Uhhhh, no. It was wet rust; it just looks black in that picture. The only thing I’ve done to the body is clean off 35 years of grime and dirt. Regardless of the patina, which I’m a fan of, the truck needs to be structurally sound. That’s the plan first: Repair the major rust issues where it needs to be (there’s rust holes in the firewall allowing water to leak into the cab as well as a bad passenger side pillar rust issue), and then make it drivable and safe.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Check out the swap shop:

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=179883

Get you rolling cheap…or buy a floor jack and a couple of cans of fix-a-flat.

Get those peeps out of your house that are living in 23Sailfishville and gets them to helps.

Show m this to get them fired up:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1972+gmc+pickup+with+step+side&qpvt=1972+gmc+pickup+with+step+side&view=detail&mid=C00EAFDC4239DE570C4CC00EAFDC4239DE570C4C&&FORM=VRDGAR

You got me going with the great pics you took of the car show in Vegas. Have fun man and enjoy saving something that is a great work truck.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Uhhhh, no. It was wet rust; it just looks black in that picture. The only thing I’ve done to the body is clean off 35 years of grime and dirt. Regardless of the patina, which I’m a fan of, the truck needs to be structurally sound. That’s the plan first: Repair the major rust issues where it needs to be (there’s rust holes in the firewall allowing water to leak into the cab as well as a bad passenger side pillar rust issue), and then make it drivable and safe.

Uhhh, good. I have some friends that are big time in car restorations if you would like to a contact

<----preparing for more disappointment.

Lotta shadetree mechanic experts on here

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I gotta feeling 23 is gonna do this thing right. I remember all the things I did to impress my father in law.Mostly fights with members of the family he didn’t like.haha
quote:
Originally posted by sman
quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I gotta feeling 23 is gonna do this thing right. I remember all the things I did to impress my father in law.Mostly fights with members of the family he didn’t like.haha

Just finished a Golden Jubilee tractor for my father in law. It’s been a 2 year labor of love……

I love the shade tree experts. :smiley:

What ever 23 decides to do, I’m sure it will be great.

Bump…is this project finished yet? What’s the holdup? :wink:

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

[quote]Originally posted by Dragonslayer

Bump…is this project finished yet? What’s the holdup? :wink:

There ya go. I been waiting for some life to this thread. White bread had more than 5 pages.

Tighten up and tell these peeps how to post pictures…after you post some more.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

She got new tires for the first time in over 40 years this weekend. These are the stock rims; I wirebrushed them, inspected and they looked pretty good. Repainted them and the truck is already starting to look more and more fresh. I plan to pull the rear end out next, then address the brake issues. This is the rear passenger side drum brake; it was locked up. When I finally got the drum off, you can tell that things have been siting for 40 years! I’ll need to replace all the brake lines as well, so this is going to take me a little longer than anticipated. This truck has drum on the rear and disc up front and I plan to keep it that way.

I need to decide how much body work I’m really able to take on. The more I look at it and think about it, the right thing to do is to actually replace the entire sheetmetal part of the cab. So, I’m going to continue to do the underneath things on the truck like suspension and brakes and eventually go into the motor.

Rear Passenger side drum

Front discs; this will all need to be replaced

12bolt rear end will need to be removed, inspected, cleaned

I’m going to try to salvage these; they should be white.

I was able to scrub and scrub and scrub to get the original bench seat looking almost new again. Needless to say, there was some incredible build up of grime on this thing. Going to keep this for now and reinstall at some point waaaay down the road when I figure out excatly where this truck is going to take me.

Very nice. You been a busy man. PB blaster on those brakes and some Fred Flinstone moves and you’ll be stopping on a dime…with 9 cents change.

Thanks for sharing the rebuild.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Never owned an old truck with hubcaps! They must have been lost or stolen before I owned them. You are going to have a great build!

You got lucky with that 12 bolt in a 1500 they usually came with a 10 bolt. Before ford 9" conversions the 12 bolt was chevy’s best rear end. Just a suggestion on the rear brakes. Look into a disk conversion. Lots of kits out there and may be cheaper than all the parts you will need to do the drums.

When you pull the rear end take the cover off and inspect your ring gear. From sitting up and not circulating oil the upper half will sometimes rust from condensation. as long as it is not deep pitted you should have no problem. Freshen the oil and run it a few hundred miles and then drain and refill.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

You got lucky with that 12 bolt in a 1500 they usually came with a 10 bolt. Before ford 9" conversions the 12 bolt was chevy’s best rear end. Just a suggestion on the rear brakes. Look into a disk conversion. Lots of kits out there and may be cheaper than all the parts you will need to do the drums.

When you pull the rear end take the cover off and inspect your ring gear. From sitting up and not circulating oil the upper half will sometimes rust from condensation. as long as it is not deep pitted you should have no problem. Freshen the oil and run it a few hundred miles and then drain and refill.

Pro tip being given right here. My Grandmas truck was a GMC and hauled hay all day. She’d start out in first and go to 3rd when we went to town…less shifting. That’s what I learned to drive in.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

When the tire was locked up, I was afraid that it could be a rear end problem from sitting so long. It never moved the entire time we drug it out and on and off of the trailer. I was very happy to see the axel spin by hand once I finally got the drum off.