Now that the Swordfish secret is out

Where you going to fish out of Mule? Going out of the PB inlet? Might be down there or Xmas/NYE too.

“I don’t trust a man who doesn’t drink”
-Ernest Hemmingway

Lake Worth

Thx!

23’Whaler

quote:
Originally posted by greg1

I’m not sure what I’m saying yet.

All I know is people buying fish from the stores is killing our oceans.

Whether it’s caught by a domestic boat or a boat out of Panama it’s all coming from the same stock.

I do think that poor domestic regulation is better than awful international regulation. So from the “lesser of two evils” attitude it is better for us to keep as much of the quota “in house” as possible.

I plan on doing a lot more reading when I get time.

With all that said…who knows what the hell is really going on.

I’ll be damned if I am going to sit by and let a foreign entity influence or determine how much fish I as a recreational fisherman can catch!!

Did you see the BS in Pennsylvania with the Philadelphia Phillies AAA farm team the Lehigh County IronPigs??? They are a new team and had a contest to name the mascot, which apparently was a pig. The winning submission was “PorkChop,” which was quickly banned because it is a “derogatory” comment towards Puerto Ricans, Asians, and Portuguese! WHAT A BUNCH OF BULLSHIITE!!!

Look at this and tell me you will sit by and let a Panamanian boat determine your catch limit on a Sunday afternoon.

http://blog.pennlive.com/lvbreakingnews/2007/12/ironpigs_mascot_name_lasts_24.html

Life is like a piece of s#$%…no matter if it sinks or floats…you always get flushed in the end

quote:
Originally posted by Nut 3

I’ll be damned if I am going to sit by and let a foreign entity influence or determine how much fish I as a recreational fisherman can catch!!

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I think the main concern is if we aren’t meeting quota then they’ll re-open the LL closure areas.

Rec anglers fought hard to kick the longliners out of certain areas, but if we keep coming up short on our ICCAT quota then NMFS will re-open some of the closed areas to the LLers.

quote:
Originally posted by greg1
quote:
Originally posted by Nut 3

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I think the main concern is if we aren’t meeting quota then they’ll re-open the LL closure areas.

Rec anglers fought hard to kick the longliners out of certain areas, but if we keep coming up short on our ICCAT quota then NMFS will re-open some of the closed areas to the LLers.

What will it hurt to open up areas if the LLers wouldn’t be going after swords to begin with because of market value… ? From what you have read, are you saying NMFS will open up areas because they’ll want to keep our domestic swordfish catch up so that ICCAT won’t lower our quotas? If ICCAT lowered the US quotas, wouldn’t that be good for recreational fishermen?.. comms would not be able to harvest as many swords (as much poundage) if and when they did want to target them more.

Again- I ask- would this not be to recreational fisher’s benefit? At least from a catch and release fisherman’s standpoint??? I would think that ICCAT would later adjust the quotas when stock assessments showed that our swords were starting to thrive. I dunno…

The government usually does not give back what they taketh away.

Luke 8:22-25

Obviously the LLers have not 100% abandoned Swordfishing. But due to the restrictions and low cost of imported swords they aren’t focused on them. That’s why we aren’t meeting our quota.

And of the LL fleets our domestic fleet is probably the cleanest (least bycatch).

So no, if ICCAT took our doemstic quota and gave it to the Panamanian boats that are LLing in the Carribean it would not be good for recreatrional anglers. Remeber, these are highly migratory species…just like Marlin, Tuna, Sails, etc. etc.

The foreign boats are far more destructive to the marlin, sword, sea turtle, sailfish populations than our fleet.

Even if you aren’t a swordfisherman you should not want the Panamanian boats working any more than they are right now.

this thing has reached 3 pages

Life is like a piece of s#$%…no matter if it sinks or floats…you always get flushed in the end

ICCAT= International Conspiracy to Catch All Tunas, or so I read somewhere a couple of years ago.

In order to provide accurate catch numbers to ICCAT/NMFS/ect, which of you recreationals is willing to pay for the electronic vessel monitoring systems that most (if not all) of the commercial guys have to use?

I feel that a lot of the recreational fishing data is kinda like a mystery, as there is poor reporting from rec’s. Bad data in = bad data (poor policies) out.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam 150
www.abfishcharters.com

Oh and Phin…since we aren’t meeting our ICCAT quota the LLers are pushing in DC to re-open the closed areas.

a federal judge denied their last push to reopen the closed zones because the swordfish stocks have not recovered. Now one can argue, using the 1978 swordfish biomass estimate (but not any number from the 50s or 60s)that the stock has recovered and because of this,
many people in the know believe that a federal judge may allow them back in. The PLL fleet is willing to compromise and not spend mucho $$ for the court battle if we reopen parts of the closed zones up. So either we ignore them and hope a judge keeps them out, a judge lets them back into the entire closed zone, or a compromise is made.

A number of people including folks from conservation groups that hate PLLs realize that a compromise may be a good thing since there is a good chance that a judge (it only takes one) will let them back in.

The experimental permits are a sneaky way for the feds to let them back into so that we can argue to ICCAT that we are trying to get our
quota.

All you guys do is gab. Do any of you actually fish for swords–how about some where and when? Captom

quote:
Originally posted by Captom

how about some where and when? Captom

Try the Atlantic Ocean, 365 days a year.

Good luck.

Greg, do you have a reference to the case you’re talking about?

Captom, why not talk about it now before we have no swords again because we did not inform ourselves of what was going on???

It’s like saying you shouldn’t debate or vote on a county/city sales tax increase if you don’t ever buy anything in your county/city. You still live there- there should still be accountability to you with regards to your government’s fiscal policy.

Swordfish don’t exist in a vacuum either… if more or less are harvested, then that affects other species that we might be used to catching now or want to catch in the future.

Why not figure out what’s going on instead of letting the govt. make all the decisions over your head and then complaining about it down the road when something affected your own back yard?

Sorry for the rant- nothing personal.

Luke 8:22-25

Typical commercial fisherman, as soon as a stock recovers they are ready to deplete it again…I hate to bash them but they really are their own worst enemies…

Report your recreational catches!!! Otherwise they will not be counted towards the quotas and the LLiners will be allowed to catch that much more.

I have no problems with the currrent LLine regs, they have been a great aid in recovery, but the Recs have to show that we are better users, stewards and $$$ makers in this fishery and we have a right to it. Oh yes and join CCA, they fight these battles all the time!

quote:
Originally posted by PicknFish

Typical commercial fisherman, as soon as a stock recovers they are ready to deplete it again…I hate to bash them but they really are their own worst enemies…

Report your recreational catches!!! Otherwise they will not be counted towards the quotas and the LLiners will be allowed to catch that much more.

I have no problems with the currrent LLine regs, they have been a great aid in recovery, but the Recs have to show that we are better users, stewards and $$$ makers in this fishery and we have a right to it. Oh yes and join CCA, they fight these battles all the time!

CCA?

I have issues with them giving tacit approval to the new MPA’s all up and down the coast, but I’m trying hard to look past it.