Shad 2021

Anyone been? Went this past week & the water was rolling & the bite sucked

21 Contender

No and thanks for the report.Thinking about trying it wednesday,we gonna need a lot of lead this year.haha

Didn’t bother to go last week, due to the water being so high/swift.

I don’t even feel comfortable fishing those spots when the flow is so high and the currents ripping. I was at arrowhead once and the water was high and flowing super hard. I went to anchor in the usual spot and my anchor wouldn’t hold it was pushing my little jon boat so hard and then it caught something and when it held it nearly pulled the bow under. I wanted to cut it loose as it was happening but if i ran to the front i was for sure going to put the bow under. So i had to let it play out. It settled down some and i cranked up and pulled passed the anchor and got it free and left. I was basically getting treated like giant crab pot float. I learned if you have to second guess anchoring dont do it. Lol

Was anyone able to get out this past weekend? I was trying to get out to the Tailrace but with my chores and the wind, I didn’t make it. Hope to get up there this weekend even if it’s raining. Would like to get a half dozen or so to put in the crab trap this year.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

One of my Nephews is fishing the Tailrace this morning. Says there are a couple dozen boats fishing, but nobody is catching anything.

He says they got their two man limit by noon.

Hey Unc,did the boys say how far off the line they was ?Was the other boats doing alright?We need to spread the word ,Tailrace is back baby,spread out the fleet a little aye.I wonder if that old timer is still at the landing counting fish.

Didn’t say. I will ask him though.

Nephew says they were the 3rd boat from the line, right side bank. People along the bank were catching most of the fish. Fish started hitting when the water stopped flowing, around 9:00. Says there were probably 100 boats there by noon.

Tied up at the tailrace, waiting on sunup. I apparently got here to early. :smiley:

no such thing.

catch em up

Didn’t start bitting until 9:00, kept 10 Bucks, and released a few Roe. Only 4 other boats were there. Done by 10:00.

Good job there shad daddy! I’m fixin to go soon!

I’m off Friday, will try to head up there. maybe most of the crowd will be working and the shad will still be running.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

My son said the herring bite at arrowhead is on fire. Shad are being caught on sabiki rigs cause current is rolling. They went to the tailrace & no one is doing a thing today

21 Contender

They went today & crushed them.

21 Contender

Well, I’m done catching bait. Arrowhead this morning. About half on Sabiki and half on chartreuse grubs. Got a few free Sabiki rigs too, couple of guys anchored up current from me a little to close and kept snagging my anchor line. After the 3rd lost rig they moved. I hate unhooking those rigs from my rope though. Caught a couple of 23-24 inch Stripers too.

Was the water still running so fast that you need alot of lead?. Nice catch and thanks.

You can't catch fish on a dry line

Yep. I used 2 oz weights on my lines I had rigged for the jigs that I cast out then place in rod holders, but had to use a 6 oz sinker on the Sabiki to keep it close to the boat.