size reel/rod do you prefer for red? just a survey

Yea its hard to find a truly American made product anymore. They are out there just gotta find them

Keep your lines tight and remember. Respect the fish and your fellow fisherman. Know the Code.

quote:
Originally posted by "Miller Time"
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Shultz

Onthewater: thanks for the info, I’ve always use steel leaders but my brother said I would get more bites on fluoro.

Miller Time : Penn is an American company, but the Battle reel is made in China… I do like how my battle 2 performs though.

2008 War Eagle 15ft
1995 Johnson 25hp

Nothing is perfect Sgt, but I try to buy American as much as possible, which ain’t easy friend.

You are correct,Penn did bring back the old school “Z” series and are making them right here in the usa. Other than that the only other Penn reels made here are the Torque and Ints I think. You’re gonna pay for those.
American made rods are bit easier to find ,Loomis,Crowder,Falcon,St.Croix etc etc …

Tight lines~

You guys ought to check out ALX rods. They’re not only American made, their Aiken, SC made.

http://www.alxrods.com/

They also do custom made rods.

Earn it everyday

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet.

Those are some nice looking rods archer

Keep your lines tight and remember. Respect the fish and your fellow fisherman. Know the Code.

Yeah, Alex runs a top notch operation. I have a few custom sticks he built for me several year ago and I have one of his new Boku rods. This is a line he made specifically for inshore fishing. The Slot76 is my favorite. He’s supposed to be getting these up on his website very soon. They’re pretty awesome.

Earn it everyday

15 Year old Penn 4400ss with a 7.5 ft med-lite action rod, 2 Penn Battle 4000’s on medium rods and my old ABU Garcia 5600 C4 bait caster on an 7ft. ugly stick inshore model.

Jack Taylor

I never fish anything over a 4000 inshore. and the only time that calls for that is bait soaking and pulling out pigs around a dock! Otjer than that i fis less than a 3000! I cant stand anything heavy in my hand. I also always keep my 1000 with 8lb brad on a lite action fast tip rod ready for trout. All yall that fish ovefkill stuff, obvously havent fished and landed fish on a 2500 or less. Thatll change your mind for sure

For the guys that are just interested in getting fish to the boat as fast as possible just to fill the cooler, I guess I can see why they wouldn’t be interested in “the fight.” That said, I still think people either underestimate their gear’s capabilities or they overestimate the fish’s capabilites. Like I said, I’ve pulled stubborn over-slot reds out from under boat docks with my 25 and 30 size reels with medium and med/hvy action spinning rods but to me, the fun is trying to trick the fish into eating my artificial offerings and then the fight. After that, it’s pretty anticlimactic. To each his own…

Earn it everyday

I agree archer…best part about it is getting the fish to bite on the artificials and the fight. I dont keep red to eat and like you said to each his own. If im keeping something to eat its coming from much deeper waters lol. But that’s just me.

quote:
Originally posted by yakman72

I never fish anything over a 4000 inshore. and the only time that calls for that is bait soaking and pulling out pigs around a dock! Otjer than that i fis less than a 3000! I cant stand anything heavy in my hand. I also always keep my 1000 with 8lb brad on a lite action fast tip rod ready for trout. All yall that fish ovefkill stuff, obvously havent fished and landed fish on a 2500 or less. Thatll change your mind for sure

I would rather fish stuff to big for the job then something not big enough that would allow the fish to end up dying from a prolonged fight. And fwiw I've caught a 145lb Tarpon on 17lb test line on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500. Took over an hour and a half and you are right, that changed my mind and now I never fish for Tarpon with that light of tackle.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:

I would rather fish stuff to big for the job then something not big enough that would allow the fish to end up dying from a prolonged fight. And fwiw I've caught a 145lb Tarpon on 17lb test line on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500. Took over an hour and a half and you are right, that changed my mind and now I never fish for Tarpon with that light of tackle.

Just curious - what is your tarpon rig now?

[/quote]

I would rather fish stuff to big for the job then something not big enough that would allow the fish to end up dying from a prolonged fight. And fwiw I’ve caught a 145lb Tarpon on 17lb test line on a Shimano Baitrunner 4500. Took over an hour and a half and you are right, that changed my mind and now I never fish for Tarpon with that light of tackle.
[/quote]

I get what you’re saying but that is a worst case scenario. If we all made decisions based on the worst case scenario, we’d probably never leave the house. Lol!

Earn it everyday

quote:
Originally posted by KJDGW
quote:
quote:

Just curious - what is your tarpon rig now?

Whatever Jr has on the boat the day I go with him. Just kidding, If I'm sitting for them I prefer the same tld 15's spooled with 30lb mono or a big spinning reel spooled with heavy braid or mono.

Im still waiting on my first tarpon… do you think the battle 8000 is big enough for it with some nice braid? Haha

This may or may not be a hijack. Apologies if so.

I need tarpon rig. Spin preferably. What do some of y’all use?

quote:
Originally posted by KJDGW

This may or may not be a hijack. Apologies if so.

I need tarpon rig. Spin preferably. What do some of y’all use?

Its alright haha

My fishing partner and I went 0 for 6 last year on tarpon. They shred through 100lb mono like its string. They are absolutely magnificent fish and I have an infinite amount of respect for them. Now if I could just catch one I will be able to sleep this summer! Haha

Connor Malark

quote:

I would rather fish stuff to big for the job then something not big enough that would allow the fish to end up dying from a prolonged fight.

I’m with you Fritz, Kinda like the guys that bowhunt for lions, tigers, elephants or cape baffalo. There is always a fella with a .458Mag or .454 Casull behind him. Just saying.

Tarpon and Redfish are like Buffalos and mules. You are much more likely to catch a blacktip fishing for a Tarpon. Last year we couldn’t get away from the Sharks. Anyway…6’6" med spin rod with a stradic 4000. put 20 lb braid on it. Make sure the rod is quality like a Star, loomis, or Shimano Trevala…best rod you can afford.

my go to rod is my 7’6 st croix tide master fast action with a peen conquest 3000. I always bring a penn battle 2 6000 combo for heavy weight and bottom fishing for reds. I use a 7ft medium calico jack with a battle 4000 for cut shrimp and fiddlers. I have a 7’6 fast action wright mcgill with a battle 4000 rigged with a popping bobber and a 7ft st croix triumph with a peen conquest 2500 for trout and artificials. I use 20lb braid on everything except the 6000, which is 60lb I believe. I use fluorocarbon 20 lb leader with the 20lb braid and 80lb on the 6000. For live bait I only use gamakatzu circle hooks.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Malibu Stealth 12
2008 Carolina Skiff JVX16/ Yamaha F60