Tankless hot water heaters.... opinions?

Losing the ability to have hot water when the power goes out is a major downer. I guess I’ll keep my standard gas heater.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Most of your larger, more efficient models require power. I do not think Bosch even makes the old paddle wheel ignition unit anymore. If you lose power, no hot water. If you do not mind paying the difference in a tankless versus a tank type heater, then it is a good suggestion. You can normally buy 5-6 tank type heaters for the price of a tankless install.

Unless you want to be able to brag to the neighbors, there are only a few applications where a tankless will pay off in the long run. Yours might be one of them, I do not know all the variables.

If you want some pricing, send me an email or PM. I’ll give a you the number of a good plumber that stands behind his work in the Mt Pleasant area.

Good luck.

The only power it needs is 110v to run a small fan and spark the ignition. I installed a gfci outlet that mine plugs into, so if we lose power, I just fire up my generator a and plug the tankless into it. We have had tankless gas rinnai on 2 diff houses and like them. There was a tax rebate for buying a tankless you may want to look into.

53’ Hatteras

quote:
Originally posted by ceylon

If you do not mind paying the difference in a tankless versus a tank type heater, then it is a good suggestion. You can normally buy 5-6 tank type heaters for the price of a tankless install.

Unless you want to be able to brag to the neighbors, there are only a few applications where a tankless will pay off in the long run.

This is not quite accurate. You do see real savings on your power bill, and that with the rebates is real money.

I have a Rinnai and it is great with a big family.

Mine is propane, and that is not great.

I’ve spent more on propane than I would have on power.

On the plus side, when it is cold outside and you are cold to your bones, you can just stand in the hot water until you get warm even if the dishwasher and washing machine are running.

You should also look at the heat pump water heaters…they act like a mini split system and can heat / cool a bonus room or supplement your house system.

“Let’s be honest. If you read the New Testament, you wouldn’t be Catholic.”…SkinneeJ

Rinnai, at one time had an auxiliary battery back up for power outages, not sure if this option is still available.
Also there is a water exchange valve you can install on a motion sensor, timer or other control that would exchange the cold water out of your hot water supply line. Solves the waiting for hot water problem, but defeats the purpose if you ask me.

quote:
Originally posted by Pluffdaddy

Congrats on completing your Masters in Divinity. Quite the accomplishment. I waited until I was almost 40 to start my Bachelors in Theology. That alone was an undertaking.

Thanks! That was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done— they take their education seriously and there is nothing “easy” about it. But the only thing in my life that I’ve ever done that means more to me is getting married and having children. Everything else pales in comparison. Having a scholarship that paid for it all was nice too lol! :sunglasses:

quote:
Originally posted by caw caw

The only power it needs is 110v to run a small fan and spark the ignition. I installed a gfci outlet that mine plugs into, so if we lose power, I just fire up my generator a and plug the tankless into it. We have had tankless gas rinnai on 2 diff houses and like them. There was a tax rebate for buying a tankless you may want to look into.

53’ Hatteras

Generator is a good idea I will probably need to look into.

For what it’s worth, I did some work on a 45’ Hatteras (not sure of the actual length) a while back (mahogany cabinetry). Cool boat.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

you’ll save $10-$15 a month in gas cost, tankless vs tank

that assumes you use the same amount of hot water with either option

tankless can be mounted outside, I prefer to do them all that way, avoids the expensive venting and a hole in the house

main benefits are cheaper to operate, only require a small space and unlimited hot water, downside is they are more expensive

there may be utility rebates, discount installations and tax incentives

Pioneer 197SF

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Caudle
quote:
Originally posted by ceylon

If you do not mind paying the difference in a tankless versus a tank type heater, then it is a good suggestion. You can normally buy 5-6 tank type heaters for the price of a tankless install.

Unless you want to be able to brag to the neighbors, there are only a few applications where a tankless will pay off in the long run.

This is not quite accurate. You do see real savings on your power bill, and that with the rebates is real money.

I have a Rinnai and it is great with a big family.

Mine is propane, and that is not great.

I’ve spent more on propane than I would have on power.

On the plus side, when it is cold outside and you are cold to your bones, you can just stand in the hot water until you get warm even if the dishwasher and washing machine are running.

You should also look at the heat pump water heaters…they act like a mini split system and can heat / cool a bonus room or supplement your house system.

“Let’s be honest. If you read the New Testament, you wouldn’t be Catholic.”…SkinneeJ

Actually, it is quite accurate. For what it is worth…as stated, there are only several applications where a tankless will payoff. An average size home with lots of people (large family), a vacation home, large home with few people, and I am sure there are others. Each application is different.

A standard gas tank heater is about $400. An average tankless install (lots of variables) is somewhere around $2500. Some of the LP companies give the heater or put it on the bill as a monthly charge,

I have the gas Renai and we have been very pleased. I had an older tanked unit sitting in the attic and replaced it with the tank less and moved the location to the down stairs garage. Did not like the idea of having all that water sitting in the attic even though I had a drip pan and PRV drained to the outside. Blitch did my install and they were very reasonable. Bought the unit from Moluffs downtown. Got a nice rebate check from SCE&G and Feds but that was icing on the cake. Never run out of cold water, but the downside is my wife knows the water is not going to run out so showers are longer and water bill has gone up. Also you have to clean the tankless yearly. I circulate white vinegar through mine for a couple hours per year with a 120V small centrifugal pump. There are several You Tube videos on how to do this. If you go tankless outside make sure pipes are well insulated as the water lines freeze easy on these units. Also if you go back with a tanked unit, several manufacturers offer a pre fabed metal shed you can install. Go luck with the mother in law moving in, I have already told my wife I love my in-laws but they must live at least 1-mile away from us and never move in!

quote:
Originally posted by contender1 Go luck with the mother in law moving in, I have already told my wife I love my in-laws but they must live at least 1-mile away from us and never move in!

Thanks for the testimony on your heater, and you have a point about the water bill lol!

And, it’s my mother and not mother-in-law. I wouldn’t have a problem either way, I get along with my mother-in-law well anyhow.

“Sire, it belongs in truth to the Church of God, in whose name I speak, to endure blows and not to inflict them. But it will also please your Majesty to remember that she is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.”…Theodore Beza

In order of quality(and price)…
Takagi
Rinnai
Noritz
And last…and there is a reason for it…
Bosch
I have a Noritz. One of the best decisions I made, and well worth the extra money. It took less than two years to recoup my investment with how much I saved on my power bill.
As far as running power to it, all it took was 2 hours and less than 20 bucks to put a receptacle in close to the heater-an easy DIY job.

“Never argue with an idiot…he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

We have had a rinnai for the past 2 years and we have had no problems whatsoever. Though I do know the neighbors had to get two rinnai heaters because the house was one story and had a good bit of square footage.

172 Sea Hunt Triton
Laser Sailboat