The New HOT Redfish bait.....

quote:
Originally posted by TyOneOn
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

…DISCLAIMER: I realize that I should not have removed an overslot redfish from the water and possessed a dead overslot fish in my boat, however, I took these photos with the intention of sharing this information with DNR, as I believe it might be useful information to them for their continuing research on redfish behavior.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Sorry Rick but… I am going to laugh my azz off when DNR gives you that ticket for possession of an over slot fish. :smiley:

One of my favorite COPS episodes is when the crack lady flags the Dallas cop down and explains she was ripped off for $20 by a guy who sold her ‘beat’ crack. The next shot is of the cop putting the cuffs on her for admitting she was breaking the law. Your heart is in the right place and I promise I will come visit you in jail. :clown_face:

I sure hope not, but it really wouldn’t surprise me. :smiley: I sent the pictures to a couple of people at DNR that I know (research guys) and only positive responses back from them so far. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Not only the charge for the overslot fish, but possession of a dead terrapin too!! [:0]

And for the record, after the few quick pictures, I promptly returned both to the water exactly as I found them.

…because everything is a conspiracy!!!

he was just having some tarapin stew. those little salty tarapin make some fine table fare. the red was just a bit ambitious.

Jesus saved souls with the truth… He caught fish with a gilnet

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TyOneOn
quote:

…DISCLAIMER: I realize that I should not have removed an overslot redfish from the water and possessed a dead overslot fish in my boat, however, I took these photos with the intention of sharing this information with DNR, as I believe it might be useful information to them for their continuing research on redfish behavior.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>Sorry Rick but… I am going to laugh my azz off when DNR gives you that ticket for possession of an over slot fish. :smiley:

One of my favorite COPS episodes is when the crack lady flags the Dallas cop down and explains she was ripped off for $20 by a guy who sold her ‘beat’ crack. The next shot is of the cop putting the cuffs on her for admitting she was breaking the law. Your heart is in the right place and I promise I will come visit you in jail. :clown_face:

I sure hope not, but it really wouldn’t surprise me. :smiley: I sent the pictures to a couple of people at DNR that I know (research guys) and only positive responses back from them so far. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Not only the charge for the overslot fish, but possession of a dead terrapin too!! [:0]

And for the record, after the few quick pictures, I promptly returned both to the water exactly as I found them.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>I’ve done worse (in the eyes of the law). And I would have done exactly what you did wi

quote:
Originally posted by Patientmaker

My guess is the crushers in the throat of the red would have broken the shell into smaller pieces. Ive had dozens of Black Drum poop HUGE pieces of clam shells on the boat after being caught. Im talking about some of the biggest clams youd ever seen broken into still large pieces. It cant feel good with those thick jagged pieces passing thru the exit though. BTW, Im talking about Black drum over 40 lbs.

WOW! You really catch black drum that big!!!

Seriously, have you done any fishing for them latley? I have been getting the itch to go catch one, but seems every time I fishing it’s in a tournament. I see you are getting ready to give a seminar on this and i was thinking of coming just to ask difficult questions and heckle ya!!

Going for first time this weekend. My boy Art has been pulling them out of my spot from what I hear. Come to the seminar and you can give me some extra tips! Heckling is allowed! BTW, there is a rumor that 23 was seen cramming that turtle in that fishes mouth. Thats just wrong!:wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Patientmaker

Going for first time this weekend. My boy Art has been pulling them out of my spot from what I hear. Come to the seminar and you can give me some extra tips! Heckling is allowed! BTW, there is a rumor that 23 was seen cramming that turtle in that fishes mouth. Thats just wrong!

Doing WHAT to the turtle? :dizzy_face:

I thought he had just aet the worlds largest Chinaback…

Just a little update for everyone.

I sent these pictures to DNR to find out what they thought of them.

Of the three responses I got back, all of them said that they appreciated the pictures and that they had never seen anything like them before. One of the marine biologists that replied back actually did her Master’s thesis on terrapins and currently works with the reddrum fishery, so she was very interested and appreciative. She also informed me that the terrapin in the picture was a female. The male terrapin tends to be much smaller than the females.

Most of DNR’s information regarding feeding habits of red drum comes from juvenile and sub-adult fish (fish less than about 33”), and diamondbacks are not considered any significant portion of their diet. Many studies have been done examining the stomach contents and marsh fiddler crabs make up about half of what they eat. DNR is looking toward something like mink, otter, or raccoons to potentially cause a decline in terrapin numbers.

Robert Wiggers said that he believes these pictures are an anomaly.

DNR also told me that it has been suggested that the increase in red drum numbers has affected the blue crab population, although as of now there is no real data to support that.

Hopefully, this will aid their continuing research on the reddrum population in our Lowcountry waters.

Bump.

Thanks for the update. Didn’t I just see these pics in the latest issue of Field & Stream as well or was it another magazine or a totally seperate occurance…as coincidental as that would have to be.

If you’re not effecting the world around you in a positive manner…you’re taking up too much space.

Good thing there are no dolphins in the flats. Them cooters wouldn’t stand a chance.

Hook the turtle through the head with a good circle hook

interesting thread is interesting…stupid mahi running a good turtle soup!!

I forgot about this thread. Thanks for the update 23.
Also very cool pic. mummichog.

Karma is 360 degrees

http://castaliaoutdoors.com/bombshell-turtle/

next next new redfish bait

strip…strip…FISH ON!

quote:
Originally posted by Mombakc

Thanks for the update. Didn’t I just see these pics in the latest issue of Field & Stream as well or was it another magazine or a totally seperate occurance…as coincidental as that would have to be.

If you’re not effecting the world around you in a positive manner…you’re taking up too much space.

If it was I’d love to see it. can you send me a link? or is it in a magazine that you own?

I can’t believe I clicked this again. O want my click back

Okay, cut it out! Redfish eating a turtle is so yesterday.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Screw getting bait from HTP … I’m going to Petco!

17’ Mako

Wow. Thanks for sharing.