WARNING: Photos of Fish Make Frank Sick

Kind of self-righteous if you ask me. I thought about saying something ugly myself but, that is just because I’m jealous. The first time I saw you post a mess of trout, I got a little mad but then realized you were in another state with much different catch/keep limits. If you are catching your limit and want to take them home, that is your right. I applaud folks that are catch and release but, sending someone a PM because they didn’t release what they caught is wrong. Like someone else said, if Frank had a problem, air it out here on CF. If he is so repulsed by such pictures, maybe he should not open such threads. I don’t know Frank and he may be a real good guy but, coming down on someone because they don’t do what he would do is wrong. I’ve noticed far less posts in the reports section and I can’t help but wonder if this kind of thing is the reason.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Harold seems like a great guy and I hope to make it to LA one day to post more pictures and enjoy a fish fry!!! Catchem up Wilcox!

Mark Ingle 1660 SeaArk w/ 50HP Tohatsu ....Engineered to fish!!!

I have been to Venice 6 times in my life. Trust me and Mr. Wilcox when we say there is no danger to that fish population down there. It is massive areas to fish and most people aren’t willing to get there. Hope to go this year at the beginning of June. If you call yourself a fisherman and have not been you are missing out. Get a group and a guide, rent one of the houseboats to stay on, enjoy the true fishing capitol of the world. PS, have your liver in good shape, take your cholesterol and BP medicine, and get ready to have the time of your life.

40" I enjoy many of your posts, keep em up! On the re-evaluation thing, not sure your age (I’m 52), I was brought up in a house that when I was fortunate enough to go fishing with my father or even by myself we prided our selves on bringing meat home to eat. I still have that instilled in me and really enjoy eating fish. I can say that now I just as soon ride as fish, but when I do fish it’s for meat not just the sport of bringing in a fish for a picture or bragging rights. I’m just starting to deal with the whole catch and release thing. Never been one to enjoy catching anything through incredible force and pain just to let it go. Unlike our heckler Frank, I’ve never given the catch and release guys any grief. I think Harold and the trout are much like some of our locals giving grief to deer hunters killing smaller bucks or does. Trout are a dime a dozen and so are deer, as long as they are in legal limits eat em up. :smiley:

All that said, Louisiana’s trout population is crazy, they probably need to be thinned out… Just like S.C.'s deer population.

Totally agree Fred

George McDonald US Navy Seabees,Retired, MAD, Charleston Chapter [http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Most of the time catch and release doesn’t hurt the fish that much and the ones I do harm badly i keep if legal and the others go back with hopes of living or being a easy meal for another animal that is maybe not as elite as a hunter. I’ve caught the same fish multiple times in the same trip so I know it was basically unphased because it went to the same spot and fed a gain with in minutes. Even when meat fishing not every fish is a keeper so you have to release some fish any ways so even meat fishers catch and release, unless they are poachers who keep or kill everything they catch. Growing up dock fishing I’ve seen some meat fishers who kill by catch for the simple fact it ate their qbait. If you look at people we put ourselves through pain for fun all the time, boxing, wrestling, mma, football, dirtbiking, weightlifting, soccer etc. Then if you look at animals they ram heads, bite and chase each other, look at how dogs and cats play, they always hurt each other, pain and suffering is a natural part of life and doesn’t always mean it’s something horrible. If everyone only meat fished our fisheries would be done for. Catch and release, tagging, selective harvest/limits is actually beneficial to fisheries in many ways. A portion of money anglers spend goes to programs that help and it makes them more involved and invested in the fisheries and water ways and more likely to contribute to good causes. I know some people who never keep any fish but love to fish and support programs because of that. Our waterways can’t support our activities without our help and the people who help the most are the ones who actively enjoy it. A lot of coastal people I know don’t feel the need to keep more then a couple fish for a fresh meal but like to enjoy a day on the water and fishing and release plenty of fish and select a few to keep. As for killing small deer, there is little value in killing small deer the amount of meat you get is greatly reduced and they never get to contribute to the

Managing fish and game always seems to be a step behind the curve. And then they declare a crisis. I grew up on the marsh in Cherry Grove. Back in the day. Yeah I walked uphill both ways to school in the snow. (70s) it was nothing to go to the marsh and catch a mess a flounder over 20 in. My neighbor has 11 and a half pound flounder on the wall his dad caught back in the 80s.
Now legal fish are few and far between. You go to the marsh in the summertime. There will be 30 to 40 boats. A half a dozen fishing rods hanging off the seawall at about every house. I’ve had said for years there should be a special bag limit for small estuaries such as Cherry Grove. Should have happened 15 years ago. Now that flounder season is shut down in North Carolina. It’s going to put just that much more pressure on everything around here. I keep very few fish. I have participated in the tagging program with DNR now for a number of years. About everything I have tagged in the marsh is recaptured. Usually within 30 days. I have no problem with someone keeping a legal limit. But we need to keep our eyes open and not wait till it’s a crisis to do something about it. And with technology it has become much easier to catch fish. And the increased number of anglers. There’s a lot more pressure. I would bet a nickel. Flounder will be prohibited to keep by the end of the year inS.C.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

[quote]Most of the time catch and release doesn’t hurt the fish that much and the ones I do harm badly i keep if legal and the others go back with hopes of living or being a easy meal for another animal that is maybe not as elite as a hunter. I’ve caught the same fish multiple times in the same trip so I know it was basically unphased because it went to the same spot and fed a gain with in minutes. Even when meat fishing not every fish is a keeper so you have to release some fish any ways so even meat fishers catch and release, unless they are poachers who keep or kill everything they catch. Growing up dock fishing I’ve seen some meat fishers who kill by catch for the simple fact it ate their qbait. If you look at people we put ourselves through pain for fun all the time, boxing, wrestling, mma, football, dirtbiking, weightlifting, soccer etc. Then if you look at animals they ram heads, bite and chase each other, look at how dogs and cats play, they always hurt each other, pain and suffering is a natural part of life and doesn’t always mean it’s something horrible. If everyone only meat fished our fisheries would be done for. Catch and release, tagging, selective harvest/limits is actually beneficial to fisheries in many ways. A portion of money anglers spend goes to programs that help and it makes them more involved and invested in the fisheries and water ways and more likely to contribute to good causes. I know some people who never keep any fish but love to fish and support programs because of that. Our waterways can’t support our activities without our help and the people who help the most are the ones who actively enjoy it. A lot of coastal people I know don’t feel the need to keep more then a couple fish for a fresh meal but like to enjoy a day on the water and fishing and release plenty of fish and select a few to keep. As for killing small deer, there is little value in killing small deer the amount of meat you get is greatly reduced and they never get to contribute

[quote][quote]Most of the time catch and release doesn’t hurt the fish that much and the ones I do harm badly i keep if legal and the others go back with hopes of living or being a easy meal for another animal that is maybe not as elite as a hunter. I’ve caught the same fish multiple times in the same trip so I know it was basically unphased because it went to the same spot and fed a gain with in minutes. Even when meat fishing not every fish is a keeper so you have to release some fish any ways so even meat fishers catch and release, unless they are poachers who keep or kill everything they catch. Growing up dock fishing I’ve seen some meat fishers who kill by catch for the simple fact it ate their qbait. If you look at people we put ourselves through pain for fun all the time, boxing, wrestling, mma, football, dirtbiking, weightlifting, soccer etc. Then if you look at animals they ram heads, bite and chase each other, look at how dogs and cats play, they always hurt each other, pain and suffering is a natural part of life and doesn’t always mean it’s something horrible. If everyone only meat fished our fisheries would be done for. Catch and release, tagging, selective harvest/limits is actually beneficial to fisheries in many ways. A portion of money anglers spend goes to programs that help and it makes them more involved and invested in the fisheries and water ways and more likely to contribute to good causes. I know some people who never keep any fish but love to fish and support programs because of that. Our waterways can’t support our activities without our help and the people who help the most are the ones who actively enjoy it. A lot of coastal people I know don’t feel the need to keep more then a couple fish for a fresh meal but like to enjoy a day on the water and fishing and release plenty of fish and select a few to keep. As for killing small deer, there is little value in killing small deer the amount of meat you get is greatly reduced and they never get to con

Maybe all the gillnetting you were doing has somehow increased the fish population?
[/quote]

Sure I have put a gillnet on a Friday and Saturday night off Edisto Beach, when it was legal and I can count those trips on two hands. Never took home more than we could eat. Nice Try at a jab Polly, but you don’t know what you are talking about as usual. If you want to blame our coastal fish decline on gill netting you are a few decades too late. :smiley: If you wand to talk gill nets in Federal waters and long liners we can do that. I hate em.

Sure I have put a gillnet on a Friday and Saturday night off Edisto Beach, when it was legal and I can count those trips on two hands. Never took home more than we could eat. Nice Try at a jab Polly, but you don’t know what you are talking about as usual. If you want to blame our coastal fish decline on gill netting you are a few decades too late. :smiley: If you wand to talk gill nets in Federal waters and long liners we can do that. I hate em.
[/quote]

What a shame, new format won’t allow me to pull up old posts ,of you bragging about filling baskets of fish, with “special” nets.

What a shame, new format won’t allow me to pull up old posts ,of you bragging about filling baskets of fish, with “special” nets.
[/quote]

Do I get inside your head often. :smiley: Not so sure what a special net is, I’d be interested in that post. Been posting here for 12 or so years so hard for me to remember all I’ve posted. But that said, I’m sure I’m not the reason for the current fish decline, don’t you think? Just one more of your off topic jabs. All good bo, I still love you. :smiley: Keep searching!

Mr Wilcox,
I really don’t know how to reply to this but I have messaged you in the past and would continue to get pointers in the future. As long as one post on this site one would have others whom would speak out positive or negative and one I have always took it for whatever it is and continue to fish and keep what I wish as long as I’m within the guide line of SCDNR or other regions I fish. Chat with you soon.

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education"

220 SeaFox Viper