When do you tip and how much?

Eastern Shore, I agree with you, but if someone doesn’t acknowledge me holding open a door, which I do quite often, I don’t get upset over it. It should be a simple courtesy to say thank you, but doesn’t always happen. Same as a person not holding a door for the next person. I’ve had people let a door go in my face a few times, but again don’t get upset over it. Not worth the strife.

IMO, all of this should be a simple thing to how we deal with others.
Treat them as we would want to be treated. It seems to me that much of our society today is all about “me”. I refuse to be that way because in the big picture, it costs me nothing to treat others as I wish to be treated even when they don’t. Good Kharma or Blessings always finds those who do the right thing. :smiley:

As for tipping waiters and waitresses, I always plan on tipping at least 20%. If the service is good, that can go to 25, 30 or even 100%. If the service is not so good, and the attitude not so hot either, I’ll tip 15%. If I tip 10% or less, I have a personal rule to explain why to the manager.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

I used to get irked about that too Eastern Shore and I used to do the sarcastic “your welcome” too, then at some point after I got saved I started seeing things differently. Not trying to make this a religious post, this is just my experience. After that I realized I should be doing it because it is the right thing to do and not to get acknowledgement from others. Not saying that is why you do it, but I do think a majority of society does things because they want the accolades from others for doing it.

20% on food, $3 minimum typically. It is getting out of hand though. The whole point of tipping your waiters is they receive less than minimum wage, and are compensated by tips. The people that pass your burrito across the counter at Moe’s are paid more than minimum wage.

Yeah, I don’t particularly like tip jars because I don’t know what I am tipping for… That being said, there are a few places that I frequent where I DO tip in the tip jar. It’s mostly because I love the ladies’ positive attitudes and they all know me by name. Where I feel the most uncomfortable is at a buffet with a tip jar. Either there is a tip jar or a line on the receipt for a tip. So, I am tipping you so I can get my own food and drink? I typically do not tip in that situation.

30% on meals/ 60% on haircuts.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

I tip for good service from the waitress/waiter. Usually 20% plus, depending on service & attitude. If the service sucked or the server had a bad attitude, considerably less. I have, in the past, left a note on the check saying why I only left a nickel. My wife hates me when I do it though. She always tips 20%, no matter what.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

I’m not fond of the tip line at Moes, Jersey Mikes, or any store that gets the tip before you get your food (Chinese place in Ladson for me). Moes gets a tip half the time. Jersey mikes almost never does because they are overpriced IMO. How can you not tip for food that is still being altered in the kitchen?

I usually tip for haircuts and about 20% for food, more for places I frequent.

Here’s a question. Have you ever tipped your cashier/bagger?
I was a bag boy at the Pig (RIP) and would get tipped on occasion, particularly if I helped somebody out to their car. Now it seems hard to find a bagger and many cashiers are very lacking. To avoid lines I usually go through through self checkout but would gladly tip a helpful bagger that made an effort to group groceries appropriately (which the customer can assist with when unloading) and being careful with eggs and bread.

Tip jars often end up with my change if I pay in cash

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

the tipping thing is interesting

Why should tips be a % of the bill?

• the only difference between a Waffle House $8 plate and
    Applebee’s $16 plate is the distance they walk to the kitchen
  • at 20% one is $1.60 and the other $3.20
  • tip = $2 to $3 per person at that type place?

What about Ruth Chris vs. Outback? A ribeye is $60 vs. $25 In theory what you’re paying for is a higher quality building, food, etc.

• at 20%, $12 vs. $5, the amount of work is about identical

I’m just wondering if the tip should be based on the amount of work and quality of the service rather than the cost of the meal.

As to *why* it should be a % of the bill, I guess that is just cultural. If you go to most other foreign countries, tipping isn't really present like it is here... When I was in Australia, and your bill was $22.56 you were expected to pay $22.56. Some people might round up to $24, $25, etc... But that being said, you pretty much had to flag your waitress down to get a refill. Once your food was delivered their job was over...

Now, as for the theory behind it, you are not tipping for the quality of the food, but for the quality of the service. Typically if you eat at Ruth’s Chris, you get someone who has been in the service industry for many years. It’s usually not the same dude that worked at Outback the week before. You probably won’t be told the story about how your waiter’s life sucks and how his car broke down last week. Is it worth a %? I don’t know, but that is the theory. But, you go to a place like Halls and like 6 people bring your food out. I don’t even know who I am tipping, there are so many of them, but I guess that they split it up… Even at Ruth’s Chris, chances are the same guy who takes your order isn’t the same person filling

I typically tip 20% on food. At our regular Happy Hour spot I tip the regular bartender between 40-60%. My haircut is $13 and I give him a $20 and call it good.

As far as on guided fishing trips, that’s an interesting animal. When your guests get on the boat I always sort of access them and try and decide if they are tippers or not. Plenty of times I’m 100% wrong. I’ve had folks I would have bet wouldn’t tip 10cents tip 30-40% and people who you would guess are big spenders stiff me.

I think most normal folks appreciate the effort (assuming you gave a good one) and the results are almost secondary. It’s also about have much fun they have while we’re out. And fun doesn’t always equate to a great day fishing. People appreciate you trying / working hard for them, teaching their kids, wives, etc, and being respectful. I’ve had days that were skunks and got $100 tip, and days we ran out of bait and been stiffed.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

I typically tip 20% on food. At our regular Happy Hour spot I tip the regular bartender between 40-60%. My haircut is $13 and I give him a $20 and call it good.

As far as on guided fishing trips, that’s an interesting animal. When your guests get on the boat I always sort of access them and try and decide if they are tippers or not. Plenty of times I’m 100% wrong. I’ve had folks I would have bet wouldn’t tip 10cents tip 30-40% and people who you would guess are big spenders stiff me.

I think most normal folks appreciate the effort (assuming you gave a good one) and the results are almost secondary. It’s also about have much fun they have while we’re out. And fun doesn’t always equate to a great day fishing. People appreciate you trying / working hard for them, teaching their kids, wives, etc, and being respectful. I’ve had days that were skunks and got $100 tip, and days we ran out of bait and been stiffed.

You expect a tip?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

I’m somewhat odd in that nobody is going to make me feel guilty for my attitude or behavior. I live my life in a respectful way, use good manners, make eye contact, offer a firm dry handshake, etc. I’m very comfortable in my own skin so to speak. I’ll tip when I tip, and don’t when I don’t. There has been a general ascendancy of this tip entitlement mentality, and I reject it. My #1 requirement for me tipping is an overt acknowledgement of appreciation for my business…my money. I don’t care what your current pay plan is, and it’s not my job to evaluate it. I’ve dug ditches in the Florida summer heat for $5.00/hr. I’ve worked for weeks that stretched to 80+ hours on commission and made $0.00. As far as I’m concerned, life’s tough. I think what has impacted restaurant servers, taxi drivers, hair stylists, etc. most is the rise of sales taxes, hospitality taxes, special referendum taxes, etc. I think all that adds 11 1/2% to the cost of a cheeseburger at Melvin’s in Mt. Pleasant. I don’t think I’ve been to Melvin’s more than twice in the last year, let alone a sit down, white tablecloth eatery. I eat at home because taxes + tip equals half the cost of the meal. I tip the person who cuts my hair, but I go to a chain instead of my old barbershop because of the cost increases. I’ve always tipped a guide 20%, but once I had a guide who toured me around a few spots that I already fished regularly, and had me back at the dock before lunch. I tipped him $20, and pulled him out of the old rolodex. My wife usually takes the check from the server and fills in a generous tip, always puts a dollar or five in the tip jar, and gives the trash man, mailman, and newspaper deliverer a nice cash gift at Christmas time. She refuses to be seen with a curmudgeon, as much as see can help it.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy

Hoppy or other captains that own your own business. I just curious as to why your fees wouldn’t include everything? Not complaining here, just wanting the reasoning behind it. What is different than say the engineer that has a little business as a single proprietor? He would charge a fee for drawings with overhead and profit included in the fee and no one ever tips him and he doesn’t expect it. He is providing a service and interacts with the client often also. Again, really not complaining, just have never had it explained to me and I am curious. I have tipped any captain that I have chartered.

Sorry, I don;t understand your question?

Sorry, fixed the typo. You should get it now!

I guess b/c it’s a service based business? A plate of noodles at Carabbas costs what it costs. If it’s good and the server makes sure you are doted over and enhances your noodle experience you probably feel inclined to thank them monetarily? Some do, some don’t, some more than others. Back in the day we used to charter a sporty a couple times during the season. We always prided ourselves on tipping the mate really well. I’ve had people step on the boat, pay upfront and put an xtra $100 in my hand before we left the dock. I donate a couple trips to Children’s Charities, Blindness Foundation, and Police Fundraisers every year. Had a guy get on the boat one day laughing how he got the trip at the auction for $100, and then stiffed me? To each their own I suppose

And to answer your question specifically about a sole proprietor professional person. When my lovely ex-wife hung out her lawyer shingle on her own, she would often get gifts, flowers as thanks, gift cards etc. It wasn’t odd at all. She is a transactional lawyer, so keep in mind her fees were based on the type and complexity of the transaction and not an hourly fee per case. She’s with a much larger firm now, and I don’t think anything like that much happens now!