06 Yamaha 150 obstruction found, now a new issue!

Thanks for all the help and recommendations. After forcing enough water through the thermostat opening, and probing with a coat hanger up the pick up tube, a rubber gasket finally came out. The good news is that the motor pees again, the bad news is that I don’t know where this came from. Any ideas? I found a little sliver below the water pump, and looks as though it may have passed through the impeller. But it also could have come from somewhere else. I am not going to run my boat until I figure this out! Any help identifying the gasket would be appreciated. It looks pretty unique with the oversized flange. Here are the pics

Pressure relief valve grommet?

Thanks for the advice. The grommet for the pressure relief valve was still intact. It is a little larger than that opening, and made of a softer rubber material.

www.ChrisWestSellsCharleston.com.

Give me a call if you are looking to buy or sell a house in the Charlaston area.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/ZV368345/lower-casing-drive-1-f150-f150txr-2006-150hp

Number 43 Oil Seal Cover

THAT!!! was up the tube from the water pump up to the motor? HOW? Isn’t that tube about 1/2" inner diameter?

Good find. And, glad you found it. That was going to cause catastrophic failure.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

I believe you are correct sir! After removing the water pump, this is what I see…

Sorry for the poor picture but photobucket won’t let me upload a better one for some reason. It is clearly missing seals! Looks like I need to replace the part below the water pump to be safe. Any idea what part number that is, and where I can find it? I believe that is the bearing housing.

Give me a call if you are looking to buy or sell a house in the Charlaston area.

Scroll down that link he sent you, $12.95 and in stock. Or just call your local shop to see if it is in stock.

I will say this exactly how a forum is supposed to work. Great job for the CF.com community to quickly find a solution for a fellow member.

Thanks! I am probably going to replace the bearing housing and bearing assembly while I have it off, just to be safe.

quote:
Originally posted by seawest

I believe you are correct sir! After removing the water pump, this is what I see…

Sorry for the poor picture but photobucket won’t let me upload a better one for some reason. It is clearly missing seals! Looks like I need to replace the part below the water pump to be safe. Any idea what part number that is, and where I can find it? I believe that is the bearing housing.

Bingo : I had the exact same problem on my 90 yami. Mine showed itself when i changed gear oil and oil started comming out of water pick up port , seals were shot under wp....

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

THAT IS A “SEAL” THAT SITS ON TOP OF THE DRIVE SHAFT.
NOT SURE WHAT ITS SUPPOSE TO DO, AS IT DOESNT ACTUALLY SEAL ANYTHING, AND IT JUST SITS THERE.
WE USE A SMALL AMOUNT OF MARINE GREASE TO STICK IT IN PLACE WHILE WE DO THE WATER PUMP.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Pressure test it while its all off.

Tall Sail Marine

DO NOT REPLACE THE HOUSING UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.
If you replace the housing, you will have to check and possibly shim the pinion.

www.bombislandboats.com

Thanks Chris! So a new one wouldn’t use the same shims already in place?

THE HOUSINGS ARE NOT SPECIFICALLY MACHINED TO AN EXACT STANDARD, WHICH IS WHY THERE ARE SHIMS.
IF YOU CHANGE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PROP SHAFT OR SEALS, YOU WILL HAVE TO CHECK THE BACKLASH, AND SHIM ACCORDINGLY.

www.bombislandboats.com