10% added gratuity on take out

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

This is why you usually have hostesses boxing your to-go orders. They’re not paid server wages.

In these instances, would there be a minimum gratuity applied? Honest question? When we patron a place with a hostess, I don’t ever order take out…

RBF

“Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.”

No, hostesses aren’t subject to minimum wage exceptions for tipped employees.

Tipping is out of control everywhere. The 20% adage is meant for 2.13/hr servers, not people making your burrito at Moe’s.

I believe you missed my question. When a hostess bags a take out order… Is there a minimum tip applied? I have order from Outback takeout, and have never seen a minimum tip applied…

I agree in principle about tipping. It makes me feel kinda weird with all the folks that should be tipped and walk around with their hand out expecting one. With that being said… Should charter boat captains be tipped, or should they just build it into their price?

RBF

After conferring with Cale (son- very experienced working in Edisto restaurants) on this issue, I am getting a little better understanding. In some restaurants, like the one I visited Sunday night, they use the added gratuity to give to the hostess which is paid normal minimum wage which is around $8/hr as he or she prepares the order. Other restaurants without hostesses use the 10% gratuity as a take-out deterrent as supposedly making take-out orders breaks the flow in the kitchen and is a PITA. Why offer take-out then? Seems like easy money to me. 20-30 bucks per person without taking up table space at the restaurant. Go figure. He also states that “forced” gratuity is illegal in SC, but I would like to hear from others in the industry.

IMO, charter captains are like any others in the service industry. If you feel you have received service over and beyond the base rate, then by all means, leave a tip. If not, don’t. I have declined tips on more than one occasion if I wasn’t satisfied with the success of the day.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is why you usually have hostesses boxing your to-go orders. They’re not paid server wages.

In these instances, would there be a minimum gratuity applied? Honest question? When we patron a place with a hostess, I don’t ever order take out…

RBF

No, hostesses aren’t subject to minimum wage exceptions for tipped employees.

Tipping is out of control everywhere. The 20% adage is meant for 2.13/hr servers, not people making your burrito at Moe’s.

I believe you missed my question. When a hostess bags a take out order… Is there a minimum tip applied? I have order from Outback takeout, and have never seen a minimum tip applied…

I agree in principle about tipping. It makes me feel kinda weird with all the folks that should be tipped and wal

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

After conferring with Cale (son- very experienced working in Edisto restaurants) on this issue, I am getting a little better understanding. In some restaurants, like the one I visited Sunday night, they use the added gratuity to give to the hostess which is paid normal minimum wage which is around $8/hr as he or she prepares the order. Other restaurants without hostesses use the 10% gratuity as a take-out deterrent as supposedly making take-out orders breaks the flow in the kitchen and is a PITA. Why offer take-out then? Seems like easy money to me. 20-30 bucks per person without taking up table space at the restaurant. Go figure. He also states that “forced” gratuity is illegal in SC, but I would like to hear from others in the industry.

There is no such thing as “forced Gratuity”. The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), which is recognized in all 50 States except a few certain portions that Louisiana wouldn’t adopt would rule. The fact you were not under duress, or hardship, and willingly paid…

Just don’t patron the places. Ask ahead of time whether they charge. If you don’t want to pay for it, there are other options… No one is holding a gun to your head… You can walk out and not pay… What gives? My point was very simple… Why vent and complain on CF.com when it will not change anything… What establishment was it? That way others will at least know what to expect…

RBF

quote:

It’s a completely ridiculously stupid business model to try and deter takeout. Unless you just like paying extra overhead for some reason.

quote:
quote:

It’s a completely ridiculously stupid business model to try and deter takeout. Unless you just like paying extra overhead for some reason.

Money is made in the restaurant biz off tea, soft drinks, adult beverages, appetizers, and desserts. They don’t typically sell that to take out customers… They try to just break-even…

RBF

Now, what I find a$$ chapping is when the elderly want to split a plate, and the establishment charges for the extra plate… Most old folks don’t eat nearly as much and are happy with a 1/2 plate. AND they are on fixed incomes…

My Dad actually took his own chinet plate one time just to piss them off… Made my wife put it in her purse ahead of time… I sure do miss him… He was OLD SCHOOL and would mess with folks all the time…

RBF

quote:
quote:
quote:

Money is made in the restaurant biz off tea, soft drinks, adult beverages, appetizers, and desserts. They don’t typically sell that to take out customers… They try to just break-even…

RBF

Money is made on all sides. If you have less overhead, your food cost per plate is lower, you make more money. Any restaurant should focus on a heavy take

It certainly is unusual for a restaurant to add a tip to a to go order. Like Easy said, the cooks cook, and put the food into boxes. Then usually someone from the bar walks into the kitchen and picks up the bag and puts in silverware and napkins. Does someone who picks up a bag deserve a big tip, absolutely not. Five bucks is plenty unless it’s a very big order, then a few more should be adequate. The point about an automatic gratuity for large parties tells me as a customer one of two things. The waiter thinks I’m cheap, or that they feel like they aren’t going to get a good tip because of bad service. Which can be a result of many different things. Allot, not the waiters fault. For example: a green hostess that doesn’t know what they are doing and seats to many tables, on one server, too fast. Another one would be a slow kitchen, because the cooks haven’t been to bed yet, and have been drinking tequila all night. From a customers perspective, I don’t like it. From a servers perspective, they do, of course. It’s a way to get their money, even if you get crappy service. Allot of times they read your table, and if things go well they gamble and leave it to the customer hoping for a higher %. If things don’t go well, most of them will use the tool of “automatic gratuity” and results in a pissed off customer, that doesn’t want to come back, which hurts everyone. As for people tampering with food- it’s a very,very,rare circumstance that seldomly happens. If a chef sees someone do this, they are fired. If the chef does this, they too are in serious jeopardy of loosing their job, because half the kitchen is pissed off at them for paying them 8 bucks an hour and working them like a dog. They also want his or her job as well. I’m not saying it has never happened, but It is very,very, uncommon and mostly a myth that people will spit in food. Never saw that in close to 30yrs in working in kitchens . Most cooks have allot of pride in what they are doing, and wouldn’t tolerate it. Can someone find an example of someone doing

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

RBF

</blockquote

The reason they add a split plate charge is because they split the entree meaning the protein. Then when they put the food on the plate, it looks so skimpy they usually add food such as the starch, veg, sauce to beef up the plate it because it looks so bad. Not really right, but just what happens. Generally your paying for the extra food put on, not the split itself.

quote:
quote:

Just checking with the restaurant crowd to make sure I was correct. Why are you an alias RBF; put up or shut up.

quote:
quote:

This has become standard practice at some local restaurants here at Edisto. I call BS, and to my knowledge, it is illegal in SC to charge a forced gratuity for large parties, take out, etc. They would get a tip from me anyway, but I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay for something extra unless you consider putting food in a box tip worthy.

Then you are guilty for partaking in illegal activity… Turn yourself in and deal with the prison sentence…

Why are you beotchin and moaning on CF.com instead of calling the LEO? Put-up, or shut-up… Call the law on them.

RBF

Quit that. You are scaring me…

I’ll be serious and put some perspective behind it.

This comes from my best buddy for 40 years which his family was in the restaurant business. I asked him the same thing, because just like you, RBF is cheap…

These folks wages are essentially gratuity. Unlike a McDs workers who make minimum wage… When they are h

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
quote:

Just checking with the restaurant crowd to make sure I was correct. Why are you an alias RBF; put up or shut up.

quote:
quote:

This has become standard practice at some local restaurants here at Edisto. I call BS, and to my knowledge, it is illegal in SC to charge a forced gratuity for large parties, take out, etc. They would get a tip from me anyway, but I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay for something extra unless you consider putting food in a box tip worthy.

Then you are guilty for partaking in illegal activity… Turn yourself in and deal with the prison sentence…

Why are you beotchin and moaning on CF.com instead of calling the LEO? Put-up, or shut-up… Call the law on them.

RBF

Quit that. You are scaring me…

I’ll be serious and put some perspective behind it.

This comes from my best buddy for 40 years which his family was in the restaurant business. I asked him the s

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

RBF

Quit that. You are scarin

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

RBF

<hr height="1" noshade

Sorry to bother you with my rant RBF, but I have to beg to differ. If enough people are educated to THE LAWS and refuse to pay forced gratuities, restaurants would cease trying to pull a fast one on their customers. I was under the impression that these forums were about information sharing in order to possibly cause positive change.

quote:
quote:

There is no such thing as “forced Gratuity”. The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), which is recognized in all 50 States except a few certain portions that Louisiana wouldn’t adopt would rule. The fact you were not under duress, or hardship, and willingly paid…

Just don’t patron the places. Ask ahead of time whether they charge. If you don’t want to pay for it, there are other options… No one is holding a gun to your head… You can walk out and not pay… What gives? My point was very simple… Why vent and complain on CF.com

quote:

Sorry to bother you with my rant RBF, but I have to beg to differ. If enough people are educated to THE LAWS and refuse to pay forced gratuities, restaurants would cease trying to pull a fast one on their customers. I was under the impression that these forums were about information sharing in order to possibly cause positive change.

quote:
quote:

Just don’t patron the places. Ask ahead of time whether they charge. If you don’t want to pay for it, th

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I bought my wife a small ice cream in Mt. P the other day…it was $4.99…for a reelly small ice cream. Like a scoop and a half of ice cream. I was then called cheap for my $1 tip from my wife. Normally I don’t tip on take out or ice cream that’s overpriced by 500%… maybe I’m just cheap too. But ten years ago, tip jars weren’t all the rage. Now, try going into pretty much any establishment and there’s a tip jar out.

I agree with Geronimo. It’s not my place to pay someone else’s workers…if they need to be paid more, the owner should pay them more and charge me more for food if you have to. I’m tired of the entitlement that is running amuck in this country. Not everyone has the RIGHT to own a car or house or nice things. If you work hard, you can earn the PRIVILEGE of owning a car or house or nice things.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Isn’t that exactly what this is? A “forced gratuity” isn’t a tip, it’s a price increase because there is no option. You say that you think it’s reasonable for an owner to increase prices if they want to pay employees more. But when they do something economically identical to raising the price of every item on the menu 10% you object. Can’t say that makes a lot of sense…

quote:
Originally posted by SirSpear
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I bought my wife a small ice cream in Mt. P the other day…it was $4.99…for a reelly small ice cream. Like a scoop and a half of ice cream. I was then called cheap for my $1 tip from my wife. Normally I don’t tip on take out or ice cream that’s overpriced by 500%… maybe I’m just cheap too. But ten years ago, tip jars weren’t all the rage. Now, try going into pretty much any establishment and there’s a tip jar out.

I agree with Geronimo. It’s not my place to pay someone else’s workers…if they need to be paid more, the owner should pay them more and charge me more for food if you have to. I’m tired of the entitlement that is running amuck in this country. Not everyone has the RIGHT to own a car or house or nice things. If you work hard, you can earn the PRIVILEGE of owning a car or house or nice things.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Isn’t that exactly what this is? A “forced gratuity” isn’t a tip, it’s a price increase because there is no option. You say that you think it’s reasonable for an owner to increase prices if they want to pay employees more. But when they do something economically identical to raising the price of every item on the menu 10% you object. Can’t say that makes a lot of sense…

When the price goes up, then you have to pay sales tax on top of it. No taxes on “forced gratuity”…

Cool thing about “forced gratuity”… you can leave before you pay. If you consume, t