10% added gratuity on take out

This has become standard practice at some local restaurants here at Edisto. I call BS, and to my knowledge, it is illegal in SC to charge a forced gratuity for large parties, take out, etc. They would get a tip from me anyway, but I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay for something extra unless you consider putting food in a box tip worthy.

Just more unrealistic entitlement… This country is going to crap fast.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

This has become standard practice at some local restaurants here at Edisto. I call BS, and to my knowledge, it is illegal in SC to charge a forced gratuity for large parties, take out, etc. They would get a tip from me anyway, but I don’t like the idea of being forced to pay for something extra unless you consider putting food in a box tip worthy.

Then you are guilty for partaking in illegal activity… Turn yourself in and deal with the prison sentence…

Why are you beotchin and moaning on CF.com instead of calling the LEO? Put-up, or shut-up… Call the law on them.

RBF

“Them that can brag without lying, let them brag.”

Just checking with the restaurant crowd to make sure I was correct. Why are you an alias RBF; put up or shut up.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

Then you are guilty for partaking in illegal activity… Turn yourself in and deal with the prison sentence…

Why are you beotchin and moaning on CF.com instead of calling the LEO? Put-up, or shut-up… Call the law on them.

RBF

I would have it removed or leave the food sitting on the counter. I’d keep ordering each week and doing the same thing until they get the point.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:

Just checking with the restaurant crowd to make sure I was correct. Why are you an alias RBF; put up or shut up.

quote:
quote:

RBF

Quit that. You are scaring me…

I’ll be serious and put some perspective behind it.

This comes from my best buddy for 40 years which his family was in the restaurant business. I asked him the same thing, because just like you, RBF is cheap…

These folks wages are essentially gratuity. Unlike a McDs workers who make minimum wage… When they are helping/serving someone a take out order, that is time away from working a table to earn a buck… In essence, think of it as an opportunity cost. That’s why the appropriate p

So let me get this straight. The owner of the establishment gets to pay his people $3.15 an hour, or whatever it is now to help sweep the place, take out trash, or clean a bathroom. But when they carry a box of food from the kitchen to the take out counter, I am depriving them of their ability to make a buck on a table and thus should pay them a premium gratuity? Cry me a river. Find another job if you don’t like it. No one deserves a $10 or $20 spot for handing you a bag of food.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

So let me get this straight. The owner of the establishment gets to pay his people $3.15 an hour, or whatever it is now to help sweep the place, take out trash, or clean a bathroom. But when they carry a box of food from the kitchen to the take out counter, I am depriving them of their ability to make a buck on a table and thus should pay them a premium gratuity? Cry me a river. Find another job if you don’t like it. No one deserves a $10 or $20 spot for handing you a bag of food.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Never said that. Just provided another perspective. Here is the other part of his perspective… You frequent the same establishment and don’t pony up… Well, be careful of what you eat… They have their ways to settle up with cheap customers…

Not saying it is right, but it is reality…

Also, who orders a $100 or $200 take out? That’s what 10% would be on the base cost to churn a $10 or $20 spot.

Most take out is less than $50, so we are talking about a measly $5 bucks at most. If you can’t afford $5, have a baloney sandmich at home…

RBF

If I don’t tip, it isn’t because I am cheap. It’s because of ****ty service, to which I don’t return. So not a problem.

I never tip on take out. Not sure how they would “settle up” on that if I frequent the same place.

Personally, I hate eating out anymore. The food usually sucks, is overpriced, and the servers are horrible. Maybe 1 in 10 experiences are truely worth the cost. I must be getting old. I’ll let all the wise young folks keep stuffing the servers and restaurants with greenbacks. But I do have certain places that I like the food. So I will order take out to avoid the hassle of a server and $3 drinks. Put a 10% tip on that, and it will be coming right back off the check. Thus costing the establishment more time/money to have to correct it. Won’t remove it, then the food is getting left on the counter.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

4 entrees from Outback would be $100. I’m can imagine ordering for 4 or 6 on Edisto could easily get up to $200. Last time I checked not many people hang out in Edisto in houses with just 2 people.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

If I don’t tip, it isn’t because I am cheap. It’s because of ****ty service, to which I don’t return. So not a problem.

I never tip on take out. Not sure how they would “settle up” on that if I frequent the same place.

Personally, I hate eating out anymore. The food usually sucks, is overpriced, and the servers are horrible. Maybe 1 in 10 experiences are truely worth the cost. I must be getting old. I’ll let all the wise young folks keep stuffing the servers and restaurants with greenbacks. But I do have certain places that I like the food. So I will order take out to avoid the hassle of a server and $3 drinks. Put a 10% tip on that, and it will be coming right back off the check. Thus costing the establishment more time/money to have to correct it. Won’t remove it, then the food is getting left on the counter.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I actually agree with you. We don’t go out much. I like cooking my own food…

There is one place that is a great deal, and great food, we patron everytime we visit ChuckTown… Dave’s Carry Out… Those guys know what they are doing and the prices are outstanding. I give a tip on take out because I feel guilty about what I paid, and they are honest folks… I WANT them to stay in business…

RBF

RBF, I don’t believe that! When you call or order a take out order, a ticket is written and they make up the box in the kitchen! The waitress, or person taking the order, doesn’t go into the kitchen and make the order up! A ticket is written and it goes to the kitchen, pure and simple! The waitress doesn’t lose any time at a table! As you say, the kitchen staff is paid an hourly wage, so what difference does it make to their bottom line! Do we now have to tip the person answering the phone, because they get the order correct? NO, because that’s their JOB! Think, Drive Thru Window!

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

RBF, I don’t believe that! When you call or order a take out order, a ticket is written and they make up the box in the kitchen! The waitress, or person taking the order, doesn’t go into the kitchen and make the order up! A ticket is written and it goes to the kitchen, pure and simple! The waitress doesn’t lose any time at a table! As you say, the kitchen staff is paid an hourly wage, so what difference does it make to their bottom line! Do we now have to tip the person answering the phone, because they get the order correct? NO, because that’s their JOB! Think, Drive Thru Window!

Opps Sir, the cooks missed a portion of your order, let me return this… Hey cook dude, can you fix this customer’s order… Sure no problem… They have signals and the cooks support the wait staff…Trust me, it HAPPENS… Sometime they remember your name… If they give you the cheapo customer special and it turns out you aren’t the person, they’ll play dumb and return the hockered up spit in mess of a meal to the kitchen and apologize for getting the order wrong…

RBF

I bought my wife a small ice cream in Mt. P the other day…it was $4.99…for a reelly small ice cream. Like a scoop and a half of ice cream. I was then called cheap for my $1 tip from my wife. Normally I don’t tip on take out or ice cream that’s overpriced by 500%… maybe I’m just cheap too. But ten years ago, tip jars weren’t all the rage. Now, try going into pretty much any establishment and there’s a tip jar out.

I agree with Geronimo. It’s not my place to pay someone else’s workers…if they need to be paid more, the owner should pay them more and charge me more for food if you have to. I’m tired of the entitlement that is running amuck in this country. Not everyone has the RIGHT to own a car or house or nice things. If you work hard, you can earn the PRIVILEGE of owning a car or house or nice things.

How is paying a tip for take out any different than tipping for a beer at a bar? $5 beer, $1 tip…

Do you folks tip bartenders? Of course when they actually make a sophisticated liquor drink is one thing… However, most are single blends and beer? Should we tip them, or stiff them???

RBF

Stiff them…but I’m not the guy that sits at a bar. Ever.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Stiff them…but I’m not the guy that sits at a bar. Ever.

So, you don’t ever sit at the bar in a restaurant? Sports bars, etc?

If not, no worries… The premise is still the same…

RBF

This is why you usually have hostesses boxing your to-go orders. They’re not paid server wages.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

This is why you usually have hostesses boxing your to-go orders. They’re not paid server wages.

In these instances, would there be a minimum gratuity applied? Honest question? When we patron a place with a hostess, I don’t ever order take out…

RBF

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

In these instances, would there be a minimum gratuity applied? Honest question? When we patron a place with a hostess, I don’t ever order take out…

RBF

No, hostesses aren’t subject to minimum wage exceptions for tipped employees.

Tipping is out of control everywhere. The 20% adage is meant for 2.13/hr servers, not people making your burrito at Moe’s.