$100 Fly Line

Nice. ever tried Stanleys Ice off on the rod guides? works great. where in NC?

im not ready to jump on it but i could easily drop 100 on a surf reel full of ultracast. its 10X the cost of decent mono. i see guys spooling way more on offshore reels. if it lasts a lot longer and performs better it is not a very high entertainment cost per hour.

my experience is that all of this stuff is only expensive til theres a big red on. then its all priceless. at least for a short while. those short whiles are the only ones that count much so i will look at it.

the key to me is a balanced system. theres no use having part of the system that is not matched with the rest of it either up or down. lines are one component that a lot of people have a hard time justifying the expense on for some reason on all kinds of tackle.

we dont need no reservations we dont need no cruise control

quote:
Originally posted by scotty d

Nice. ever tried Stanleys Ice off on the rod guides? works great. where in NC?

scotty,

I was in banner elk, nc on the watagua. What is this stanley Ice off you speak of?

Thanks,
Sean

Go tigers!
“You are young once, but you can be immature forever…”

Its some sorta vasoline type material you put on your rod eyes/guides and the 20-40’ line normally out that keeps it from freezing. Nothing is worse than a frozen tip w/ line encased and brother, this stuff works wonders. I ususally just put it on the guides…it does essentially the same. Ive had my little tub for @least 4 yrs. cabelas or theflyshop.com.

I agree, it’s ***** when your freezing you tips off! Pick you up a can of WD 40 or Real Magic one quick squirt and you’re good to go after all … a little dab will do ya!

Since we’re on the top of lines, do you guys prefer cold water striper lines for the winter fishery or does the tropical stuff handle the cooler conditions OK?

Tropic lines are no good this time of year. I fish multifiber core lines all year round. Some people say they get soft in the hot weather… Ive never seen that. SA Saltwater taper is a good multifiber and it works well even in the coldest weather.

Mad Mike

Have you had much experience with Rio’s or Air Flows stuff?

I have. but mostly in freshwater… I havn’t messed with their saltwater stuff… I know alot of guys who like it though.

Mad Mike

It’s almost getting to a point where there’s overcall with all of the speciality lines outthere, I bet Rio & Air Flow have a couple of dozen between them just for warm weather saltwater use, I bet they have twice that many for coldwater use.