$100 Fly Line

Ok, I’ll admit, this is a little shocking. Seen this? Sharkshin from SA. It has a coating that has bumbs and such- the idea being less contact w/ the rod guides, the less friction. I dont think it is being marketed w/ salt in mind, but anyway, 100 bucks. Airflo ,makes the same concept and has for years in the Ridgeline lines. I have thrown it for 2 seasons in serious use and it is great. I love SA lines but if we buy this#$%@ the market will only make more expensive lines. How many people dont get into flyfishing because of the expence. Boycottin this one…anyone tried it?:wink:

I think there was a thread started about this awhile back. I think I remember Mad Mike saying that they will be coming out with the saltwater version later this year.

I definitely won’t be buying it. I nearly shat myself when I found out that the SA Saltwater line was $65 - can’t imagine paying $100 for it.

Edited to add link to other thread:
http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52253&SearchTerms=Shark,Skin

Ive thrown a demo rod with the SA sharkskin. I didnt think it was worth 100 bucks to say the least.

one of the things i like about fly tossing is once you get over the initial expenses of gear, vice, and fly tying materiels, i find it very economical. i get 1-2 years out of line, buy a couple of small spools of tippet leaded a year, and tie my own stuff. hardly any out of pocket operating expenses

i’m not that great of a caster to begin with, so having the latest and greatest means nothing to me

IF you have a 600 fly rod, a 500 fly reel, a 400 pair of waders then whats another c note for the flyline?

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

IF you have a 600 fly rod, a 500 fly reel, a 400 pair of waders then whats another c note for the flyline?

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

Good point.

Also keep in mind this line lasts up to 10 times longer than any other fly-line on the market… it adds up after time…

… by the way, you wont see that in any ads… but thats strait from the horses mouth, they say up to five times but ive talked with the company and they tell me its closer to like 10 times the lifespan, they just dont want you to stop buying lines.

just some info… make up your own mind, but really its not as bad as it may seem right at first.

Mad Mike

It may be off topic, but when is the last time one of us “wore out” a fly line?

It’s an expensive hobby, but I doubt I’ll cough up a C note on sharkskin. I’ll stick w/ my old WF line that’s been on my reel for ages.

So much water, So little time

Ive worn out a few in my day… like I said, make your own decisions… this line wont be for everyone but it might work out well for a few folks out there, myself included

Mad Mike

Mike will be selling cars next week. I just saw it advetised in LL Bean’s new catalogue. If I am not mistaken SW was available? I down for boycotting it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike

Also keep in mind this line lasts up to 10 times longer than any other fly-line on the market… it adds up after time…

… by the way, you wont see that in any ads… but thats strait from the horses mouth,

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I cal BS.

You won’t see it in ads because they’d have to back up that claim with objective evidence.

I’ve worn out several and if you bought a new line after a couple of years of use, you will feel just how much you have worn that old line!
Guess it depends on how much you actually fly fish…wrap around the trolling motor, step on it, hang on shells, etc.

I’ll concede it may be worth it to the “serious” fisherman or the guy that doesn’t notice when he parts with $100.

Don’t think it’s for me though.

“Mike will be selling cars next week. I just saw it advetised in LL Bean’s new catalogue. If I am not mistaken SW was available? I down for boycotting it.”

Rookie,
I wouldnt be a good car salesman… I dont know anything about cars. I know fly tackle, thats what I do. My opinions and personal thoughts are mine and mine alone, and you have the right to take them as just that, or just ignore them. But if I give you facts, figures, stats, on anything related to fly fishing, you can take it to the bank.

LL.Bean has Sharkskin TROUT fly-lines available up to a size 8wt. However there is a huge difference in TROUT fly-line and SALTWATER fly-lines. I wont go into it on here but if youd like to know the difference just email me or come see me and ill be glad to answer any questions.

Mad Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike

“Mike will be selling cars next week. I just saw it advetised in LL Bean’s new catalogue. If I am not mistaken SW was available? I down for boycotting it.”

Rookie,
I wouldnt be a good car salesman… I dont know anything about cars. I know fly tackle, thats what I do. My opinions and personal thoughts are mine and mine alone, and you have the right to take them as just that, or just ignore them. But if I give you facts, figures, stats, on anything related to fly fishing, you can take it
to the bank.

LL.Bean has Sharkskin TROUT fly-lines available up to a size 8wt. However there is a huge difference in TROUT fly-line and SALTWATER fly-lines. I wont go into it on here but if youd like to know the difference just email me or come see me and ill be glad to answer any questions.

Mad Mike

■■■■ dude I was just kidding. I did not man to hurt your mangina. I looked back in the Bean and it was only Trout line. You were right. There, do you feel better now oh master of fly fishing.

No harm done, and I appologize if my response comes across egotistical, but Fly-fishing Is how I make my living, and i tend to be defensive when people try and make me look like a two bit car salesman who is only interested in raping my customers. Fly fishing is as expensive as you want it to be… All I do is try to offer advice and “tech support” if you will, and to be attacked for it kinda rubs me the wrong way. (Its hard to tell if someones serious in text or not)

I am in no way shape or form the “Master of Fly-fishing” nor do i think I am… And anyone who knows me will tell you the same thing. Just let my emotions get ahead of me sometimes, good or bad.

Hope to run into you out there one day, or better yet fish with ya.

Mad Mike

You won’t be able to miss me. I’ll be the guy getting the wind knots out of my leader because I use cheap line.:smiley:

Hmmmm,the wind knots will be because of your crappy casting and not your crappy line!:sunglasses:

I love how we try to stroke our ego’s by calling them wind knots… I guess it is a little shorter than saying “wow what a bad cast knot”!

Mad Mike

Got the SA sharkskin 5 wt as a late holiday present.

Got out in 28 degree weather the in the North Carolina Mts fishing for trout. The guides on my fly rod were frozen shut but there was ZERO memory in the fly line and it still casted great. I am very pleased.

boycott if you want. Thats just my 2 cents.

Go tigers!
“You are young once, but you can be immature forever…”