11-03 Maiden Voyage 31 Contender - Hogs Lions Gags

narrow weather window opened up during work week just enough for a quick dive; 2-3 swells on the way out then ocean laid down nice; hooked a few big trigger early in about 90 ft; then had a couple very slow dives in chilly 63 degree low vis bottom 5-10 ft; first half turned up a couple grouper and bugs but it was hard work in poor conditions; hardly any current but bottom was near 5 foot vis; so like the tigers I guess we needed two quarters to warm up; second half was a highlight reel; several nice grouper, a couple more bugs, lion fish and two real nice hogs; one hog (pictured) must have been 20 lbs courtesy of bug catcher. We euthanized about half a dozen lion fish and tied one 3 pounder to the anchor for dinner.

Nice dive to come off work reserve for, thanks to John N. for captaining and great service to our country, Mr golden horse shoe himself the Bug Catcher, Mike and Matt M. and Florida Jeff.

great fun with a great crew! we had 5 gags up to 20lbs, thanks to rusty jimmy? he had the hot hand with the gags, the lobster were 8 and 10lbs and made the best bisque I have ever made, and jeff never comes empty handed, steaming a bunch of stone crab at the hunting club fri to go with the lobster and the best gator tail thanks to jeffs hunting skills! I’m sure mike and his son will testify to the great meal after joining us for lunch! sailflow is calling for 1 to 2 sat, if it holds we will try again before the water gets any colder for my old ass!

If it got any better I couldn’t stand it.

Way to go Ed and gang!!!

Pretty hog.

www.baturinphotography.com

Nice haul!

nice work Bug Catcher and crew- awesome haul for 5’ vis and poor conditions

Good job Jimmy. We need to get out there soon.

Capt. Griffin
USCG Captain OUPV, Masters
http://www.nature-tours.com

What kind of 31 did you get? You will be pleased with it.

Nice catch.

Set the trap boys, we going to pass through them again!!

my friend, john just getting back from the sandbox brought the demo from tailwalker, 2009 31’, two 350yams 4 strokes, navstar the works! went out 40mi, $50 each, sweet!

quote:
Originally posted by Bug Catcher

my friend, john just getting back from the sandbox brought the demo from tailwalker, 2009 31’, two 350yams 4 strokes, navstar the works! went out 40mi, $50 each, sweet!

700hp on a 31?? WOW!! What kind of top end does she have?

Nice Hog Jimmy!

Lance Garrison
Murrells Inlet, SC

Nice haul for poor vis, and good work on the lionfish extermination, that 3 lber is a stud lionfish. Hopefully the vis will getting a little better over the next month or so.

quote:
Originally posted by scdiver

Hopefully the vis will getting a little better over the next month or so.

Just in time for the grouper closure…:roll_eyes:

Yea, I’m hoping it will be clearing up soon. I want to dive as much as possible over the next month and a half. We are going to give it a shot Sunday, hopefully it won’t be too messed up but looks pretty mixed up out there right now.

very nice ed

I lost my AvatarHead 2300 WA Keywest
Twin 115 Yammers
Honey Dew This

a man can fish for his entire life, 'fore he realizes its not the fish he has pursued!!!