12/19 Topwater Trout in Dec (pics)

Looked at the weather forecast and figured today was the fishing day this week, so took the day off. I was a little torn on my action plan but decided to launch at NCFC and hit a warm water topwater spot. This spot sets up properly maybe 2 days a month and today just happened to be one of them. Figured, water temp is 58F, maybe they will be there? They were there. Chunked the skitter walk, and landed 7, yes 7, quality trout in December! Three were over 18" and the largest was 20.5" (released). The key was a very slow cadence… clack…clack…clack…clack…

20.5" on topwater in Dec!

Once the tide slacked out, which happened about 40 min after I got there, I got out the fly rod, figuring that a very slowly presented lure might still work. Landed this 16" trout on it. Tied the fly a couple days ago. Brown/White craft fur clouser. Sweet!

Moved on and found schooly trout, small (10-14"), but fun - and great practice in feeling the trout bite. Caught 25, most on trout tricks, and decided I wanted to try to find some better quality fish.

[img]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/fladddr/3B992B95-5EDE-4192-A08D-3E

Sandbagged me. Thanks brutha.

But i stil love ya! Great day my friend!

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

Awesome!

topwater and flies… excellent report and nice job!!!

those are some solid trout- i found 9 today on arties but nothing over 16", and a couple over slot reds.

slow presentation was key for me too, but they didn’t hesitate to pounce on it and i missed very few hits. hungry, active fish right now!

Oh boy!!! Nice Work! The Spook is going back into the boat:smiley:

Thanks guys. 5 trout were > 17.5" one of my best trout days all year size wise. Hope the water stays warm. Next year will be off the hook! I was so pumped to catch them on top in Dec!

Vince were you off today?

What was weird was I found them shallow in the morning and deep in the afternoon. Opposite of what I expected. Rad, any ideas why?

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

Sweet, catching something on top water is on my to do list.

“Every day I’m muffinin…” LMFAO

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

That’s awesome! I thought about throwing it the other day because they were so aggressive but I had taken all my topwater baits out of the box. It will be there next time.

Good job Optiker, as always. Glad to see NCFC is still there. I was as member over twenty years ago. Do they take new members?

Good job Optiker, as always. Glad to see NCFC is still there. I was as member over twenty years ago. Do they take new members?

Bk - as far as I know they are. The ramp and dock are in very poor condition but you get what you pay for I guess

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com

quote:
Originally posted by bkwoods

Yes, Fern is still taking on new members, I just joined in September.
quote:
Originally posted by penfishn around every bend theres the promise of a treasure that can only be caught and seen in a blink.. and in your minds eye..and sometimes if youre lucky..in a picture..its there for just a minute...then gone..but hopefully once youve seen it it will remain in your heart forever. Theres nothing like the "Smell" and sounds of the creek. Its not just one thing that makes it familiar..its all of it.

solid work…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

outstanding

Capt. Tim Cutting
www.fishthegeorgiacoast.com

Great job, Op. What time of day were you throwing the topwaters? I ask because I’ve always been heard they’re most effective at dawn and dusk, but that doesn’t appear to have been the case…

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”