12/23 late report. 40.2lbs African Pompano photos

Late post since adding photos to this site is like 1993…

Left Stono Inlet at 4:30 and ran to Edisto Banks. We couldnt find any wahoo from Edisto Banks towards 226. So we started working north and trolled to The Outcrop. Decided to try out vertical jigging and went to some bottom we found high speeding. Dropped some jigs and hooked up to the biggest Threadfin Trevally I’ve ever seen. It went 40 and a quarter on an old spring scale we test drags with. Absolutely beautiful fish and day on the ocean. Kept jigging and cruising around prospecting and caught a bag of bottom fish for dinner and ran home. Hit the Stono right at sundown for a beautiful sunset. Leaving for Georgetown hole next break in the weather.

Man, that was a long day, but you came home with a nice prize!

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim

Man, that was a long day, but you came home with a nice prize!

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I replaced the electronics with a new furuno system. So we were out there playing and learning. We had so much fun we didn’t want to come home!

Nice fish! Glad to see somebody is braving the cold to get out.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

Thanks! We are trying i toon a few weeks off work and the weather isn’t playing nice. We are watching the weather, but may give up on Charleston and run visit my boys in bimini it things don’t change soon!

The AQ,
Thanks for posting and sharing photos of the nice catches.

What depth did you have success jigging?
What did you troll without any luck on the wahoo’s? My last time out I got skunked high speed trolling around 226 hole as well (back in October). We were using a couple 8" Illanders and horse ballyhoo with skirts. It’s my first season getting into offshore so wasn’t very confident in much of anything in our approach to the wahoo.

If the African Pompano made it to the grill, how did you prepare/cook it and how was it?

Thanks in advance!

============
282 GW Sailfish

Now, that’s a stud, never seen one that size, good work!