15'ish foot Tiger Shark (Shem Creek) w/pics

Ok…I got the pics, who can I send them to? Never figured out the whole posting pics thing.

Please send to lowcountryscuba@gmail.com

Just sent them your way.

The boat “Bonsai” pulled it into the creek with a line wrapped around the tail, dragging it in the water.

can you explain this pic I took this morning of the same tiger shark in the harbor

WTF guys

-NED S.-
-23 SEA PRO-

was it floating around dead or actually caught by someone?

Capt. J.R. Waits
Fish Call Charters
www.fishcall.com
(843) 509-7337

sorry, but aint no way thats the same shark I have pics of…

ha I took it from my phone it was 12’ with no head
I have already called scdnr to go get it

-NED S.-
-23 SEA PRO-

yeah cause there’s a huge chance there was more than one large tiger shark brought back in the same vicinity of shem creek

the shark in the pic has been “finned”. It was caught by a commercial boat. Fins are where the real money is…not the meat.

intronetfishermansuperheros

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

oh so that makes it ok?

-NED S.-
-23 SEA PRO-

quote:
Flandersfish001 Posted - 06/12/2009 : 10:45:16 AM

oh so that makes it ok?

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

I think Sells is just shedding a little light on how the fish may have got there.

dont be a :clown_face:REEFUS[:0]

19?? 15’ pirated boat
2004 yamaha 25

curiosity killed the cat…

11 Jun 09

I know that all the money is in the fins. I was not trying to attack sellsfish.
I just think it is a bit of a waste and a large boating hazard to be floating around in the waterway.
also…if they dumped the remains in shem creek THAT is against the law

-NED S.-
-23 SEA PRO-

i just busted a bunch of guys here in texas for doing something similar except it was for a tourney and they were gutting the fish so they would sink. It is highly illegal for a commercial fishermen to do that and it is also illegal for a recreational fishermen to dump a gamefish after killing it. I wish the guys in Texas had all of ya’lls mentality about conservation. It makes me miss South Carolina more and more when I see these yahoos waste fish all the time and then complain about laws limiting their catch.

When I worked at Cherry Point as a deck hand a shark fishermen landed a 17ft tiger. They finned it and the game warden over saw the fishermen cut it up and box it for sale. If that fish is floating then the DNR should be reported so they can back track because normally a DNR guy will match the fins to the fish once a shark fisherman has landed.

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2009 Skeeter 24V
2009 Yamaha F300 V8
(loaded)
(Team Boat)

Curious… Which part is illegal? Not eating the shark or dumping it into the creek? I’ve never seen anyone get a ticket for throwing a cleaned fish carcas in the water, but I have no idea about the legality of it.

Also, I agree that it “seems” like a waste, but that’s probably what people think about me when I throw a fish carcas away as they think about the good fish head soup that they could be making with it!

In this case, it is a commercial fishermen and if the fins have value and the meat does not, what is the commercial shark fisherman to do? From what I understand, this guy is a pretty well respected and law obiding citizen.

In the grand scheme of things, there are always two sides to the story, but this is the type of example the enviro’s will run with to make all fishing look like a meaningless and destructive practice.

Im so confused. What’s the story on both sharks?

“Now, whoever has courage and a strong collected spirit in his breast, let him come forward, lace on the gloves and put up his hands.”-Virgil.

quote:
Originally posted by kut08

Im so confused. What’s the sotry on both sharks?

<> Commercial shark boat catches shark. <> Commercial shark boat "fins" shark and takes anything off of the shark that has financial value. <> Commercial shark boat disposes of the rest of the shark. <> Shark floats into harbor <> Shark is reported to DNR.
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by kut08

Im so confused. What’s the sotry on both sharks?

<> Commercial shark boat catches shark. <> Commercial shark boat "fins" shark and takes anything off of the shark that has financial value. <> Commercial shark boat disposes of the rest of the shark. <> Shark floats into harbor <> Shark is reported to DNR.

Skinnee I know when I worked at a commercial dock on wadmalaw Caleld Cherry Point, that a commercial fisherman can not just fin a shark and then dump it. He has to clean it and sell the meat. There is a market for shark meat but it is not as pricey as fins or other commercial fish. If it is just a carcass like the back bone and skin then that is legal but if he cut the fins off and head then dumped the body then that is illegal. If you go to any federal wildlife and fisheries website and search shark finning you will read about the legalalities (sp) of shark finning.

I hope I helped you out.

From reds to marlin you got it.
2001 210 Sea Fox
2009 Yamaha F150

2009 Skeeter 24V
2009 Yamaha F300 V8
(loaded)
(Team Boat)

quote:
Originally posted by whistlingdixie

Skinnee I know when I worked at a commercial dock on wadmalaw Caleld Cherry Point, that a commercial fisherman can not just fin a shark and then dump it. He has to clean it and sell the meat. There is a market for shark meat but it is not as pricey as fins or other commercial fish. If it is just a carcass like the back bone and skin then that is legal but if he cut the fins off and head then dumped the body then that is illegal. If you go to any federal wildlife and fisheries website and search shark finning you will read about the legalalities (sp) of shark finning.

I hope I helped you out.

Interesting. I don't keep up on that stuff myself, but this guy has a pretty good reputation of going by the book from what I have heard about him. That's why I am curious.