.17HMR - Anybody else love it? Another new build

In the sharing mood today, and got some time in on the new .17 the other day now that it’s done, and wanted to share another of my creations.

Lots of my shooting buddies have 17’s and we have enjoyed shooting groups against each other, so I figured I would buy/build one of my own. Was leaning toward the BMAG in .17WSM, but after shooting one and seeing how cheap the stock/rifle seemed, I opted for one in laminate.

This started as a 93R17 BRJ, with 21" spiral fluted bull barrel and Royal Jacaranda laminate stock. She is now wearing DIP products’ 0 MOA scope mount and DIP bottom metal with a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 in Burris Zee Signature rings with Butler Creek caps. The bipod is an ebay special, should serve the little 17 well, if not it will get a Harris. Also installed an Apache trigger, and got it tuned down to right at 12 OUNCES on my manual gauge. Yes it’s safe, passes all safety tests, and shoots like a dream.

Before:

[/URL]

First, the little puny bolt knob sucks for my giant hands, so it had to go. Only issue is the little rimfire guns 9 times out of 10 don’t have a removable knob…so it takes some serious work to get an aftermarket knob to work. I turned down the knob and threaded it for a real carbon fiber knob. It was installed with epoxy as well to create a nice transition from bolt to knob. Looks like it came that way.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The Royal Jacaranda stock is awesome, but the colors suck! That had to go. I finally got to try some webbing spray, and I must say, I REALLY like it. Unfortunately the product is discontinued, so I had to drive to mount pleasant to get the last can of silver in town…black base coat, silver webbing spray, and some duracoat clear (used gloss, might have to dull it down

Ahhh so this is why you’re getting rid of that 22. You build some fine looking guns. I’m still mulling over that 22.

What’s this thing group at 50 and 100?

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

Ahhh so this is why you’re getting rid of that 22. You build some fine looking guns. I’m still mulling over that 22.

What’s this thing group at 50 and 100?

First, Most, Biggest

Thanks! I enjoy the process just as much as the result.

Actually, I’m not selling 10/22’s because of this. I’m just not as attached to some projects as others. The lightweight 22 was a fun build/restoration but it’s not my style, not one to stay forever. The target model I am trying to sell is because I have another one. The other will never leave my possession.

I haven’t hunkered down and shot a real group with this one yet…I’ve recently lost my “whenever” range, and am limited to my hunting club now, which frowns on a lot of shooting during deer season of course. I was limited to a 1 hour window to sight it in and enjoy it.

With the new glass for a couple of new guns arriving this week, I hope to get some time in on a bunch of stuff next week…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Got the AR10 and the Savage out for some workout yesterday. Got the VX-R sighted in on the 308 and am in LOVE with it. Great optic for the $.

The 17 was fun, didn’t shoot groups, but got to ring some steel at 200 yards, from 10" plates to 1" round targets. That gun is just too much fun to shoot.

Wadmalaw native

Very sweet looking! Son got me hooked on the .17 he shoots a dime group at 75 yards and I do a quarter.

past a 100 yards wind takes it toll.

I’ve got a savage and I’ve noticed that it is very sensitive to cleaning. doesn’t take many rounds to make the group start spreading.

Perfect rifle for depredation permits.

Yeah, past 100 in the wind and all bets are off. I was lucky to shoot at this place, in the woods, protected from the wind. It was a blast!

I’ve noticed the same thing about the cleaning. I carry a boresnake with me, give it a pull through when I see it wandering off…

Wadmalaw native