1st striper Fly fishing @ lake murray NEED HELP

i am going up to lake murray tomorrow (fri) and staying till sunday. I am takin my fly gear and hoping to get into some stripers on the lake. Not really looking for spots, just some advice on what kind of line(s) i need, and the best types of flies to be usin. any advice will be greatly appreciated. i really want to hook up with one on the fly.

'00 Palmetto BoatWorks 15.5 w/ johnson 50(brokemotor)

Knowledge Speaks, but Wisdom listens…

I would think a clouser minnow into the school would work pretty good. I’d use a 2x tippet. I’ve never tried it but would like to. I tried on the congaree before, but not takers. Let us know how you do. Try to tie something that looks like a threadfin, that should work.

steely…im goin up there to fish w/ The AQ or Stanton as you may know him…hopefully he’ll put me on something good. i appreciate the advice.

ok, maybe we will see you out there. good luck, it would be fun catching striper on the fly.

Yeah I hope anyone can get on some fish that bite. Seems they have lockjaw right now. We will try and we pretty much can guarantee to catch a buzz…:sunglasses:

Wellcraft V20, 175 Yamaha

I keep my fly rod on the boat ready to go for when I find them schooling and I have a small white popping bug.

The times I Have caught stripers/hybrids on the fly rod they would almost eat a bare hook if you threw it out there.

It is a blast, I caught seven in one school one morning last spring and all fish were 5-8lbs

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI

in the words of 23SF…FAIL!!!

maybe next time.

Wellcraft V20, 175 Yamaha

it was definitely a FAIL