2000 Yamaha SX225 Opinions

I am looking at a Grady Tournament 225 with a 2000 Yamaha 225 Saltwater Series II EFI with 440 hours. I have heard to stay away from these engines because of internal corrosion that eats thru the water jacket or something like that and water gets in the cylinder. On the other hand I read that they are tough as nails and will run forever.

Which is it? If the compression is good should I jump on a good boat or run? It ain’t a good deal if I have to replace an engine.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

ITS THE 4 STROKE 225 FROM 2001 TO 2006 THAT HAD THE EXHAUST BAFFLE ISSUES
THE SX225 ALSO REFERRED TO AS AN "O-X66) IS ALMOST BULLET PROOF
ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT MOTOR IS THAT IT BURNS GAS AND OIL LIKE IT WAS BUILT BY THE SAUDIS AND YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THE O-2 SENSOR EVERY 50-100 HOURS

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

Thanks Chris,
I know of the F225 corrosion issues but my local shop parts man said they corrode from the inside out, internal corrosion especially in salt water. I understand the oil/gas issue but it is a good deal and I want to proceed on with the deal. I do read good things about these engines.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

I had an 01 OX-66 225, that I just sold last year. Bomb proof engine in my opinion. Not great on gas, but will run like a scolded dog. They don’t like idling. Very easy to work on, change plugs, clean VST filter, and LP fuel pumps, and the water pump once in a while, and you will have many years on that engine.

2006 23 SeaCraft, 2008 Suzuki 250.

Thanks Wett, that is what I am hoping to do, use it for a few more years.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

I’ve got a 200 OX66 & its an easy engine to work on & do all the work yourself. Runs great & yes its not the most fuel efficient engine, but it has never left sitting waiting on a tow.

21 Contender

Well I bought it, compression OK, decarbed, O sensor cleaned, old gas pumped out, new filters. Let’s Go! Oh and it runs.

I guess it will be GW-Doug now

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

For what it’s worth. I just recently purchased the same engine. '99 ox66 225. Put about 20 hours since I bought it. Idles rough, which is normal but does take some time to get used too. It’s pushing a 23 contender and getting right at 2.0 mpg

G & W Boatworks, LLC
Detailing & Bottom Painting
843-991-1495

Sounds good, I am picking her up next week and I was told to run it hard and often.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

I was always told to skretch it out on the ride in.I always did!!

Well I picked up the Grady and after replacing the low pressure pumps it runs fine. This is a good engine and my wife says for a 2 stroke this is her favorite as compared to a HPDI. I do have a question about performance.

I know it drops cylinders at low speeds but is this normal? From 600 to 1400 rpm runs a little rough but ok, never cuts off, just not smooth. From 1400 to 1900 shakes some what making me think something is wrong. At 2000 rpm it shoots up to 2600 and really moves. At 2600 to 5000 runs great! Is this normal or is something amiss?

The vst filter has been cleaned, fuel filter and the 3 low pressure pumps replaced, new spark plus and the oxygen sensor cleaned. It starts immediately and the bulb pumps up good and hard. Not so before the LP pumps replaced. WOT is 5300 with 1 person, me.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

Yes sir, the rough running is pretty normal in that under 2k rpm range. I’m not sure about it jumping up from 2000-2600 rpm’s though. Probably ok though. Maybe Chris V will chime in.

If I throttle up slowly checking the RPMs when it gets to 2000 it sorta “kicks in” and speeds up to 2600 and stays constant. After researching this on the net I read that many others have this same issue. I guess that is the way it is.

It runs on 5 cylinders up to 850 rpm, 4 850 to 2000, and all 6 2000 and up. When they all kick in it really scoots.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

yep
that’s the way they run

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org

I do like the engine. It starts immediately and has plenty of power. Not nearly as loud as a 200 HPDI which I have had in the past. At cruise no difference in the OX66, HPDI, or 4 stroke.

What I also like is that I have a 22 ft Grady White in good shape for a mere fraction of what a new Tournament costs. It also does not have all the plush features like upholstery one has to maintain.

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

Here she is! Lake Greenwood, SC

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
Yamaha 90 2s

Nice ride!!