2001 Yamaha hpdi 200 problem

So I was super excited I have just bought a new to me 2001 edge water express. Old boat was a 17ft sea fox. Checked it out did my do diligence and had marina check it out and water tested it. Ran fine got up on plane ran 5000 rpm. Get the boat home drop it in and boat won’t go over 3000rpms. Needless to say I was pretty bummed. I changed out the fuel separator. Date on it was 2013 when I got it out. Gas looked clean but did have some floating particles in it. I am looking at changing out the other filters. Looks like there is quite a few filters. Does anyone now how many? Also any other suggestions? Guy said he only used non ethanol gas and ring free at every fill up.
Thank you for any suggestions.

Check the shift switch. HPDI engines run on 4 cylinders in neutral and kick in the other two cylinders when put in gear. you can tell when the engine starts firing on all cylinder when shifted into gear. its a cheap and easy fix. not saying this is the fix as these motors are fuel sensitive and the medium pressure pump filter could be clogged as well.

The boat idled fine and got me out of shem creek but as soon as I turned the corner would not get up on plane or go over 3000 rpms. The shifter did feel loose to me when I went to get the boat back on the trailer. Like there was no real difference in feel from forward,neutral,or reverse. Thought it was just a new to me boat. Will check shift switch thanks for the info.

I feel your pain on your motor issue. Yamaha has filtered these hpdi motors to death! You may have an in-line on top of the tank, the water separators, the bowl filter w/the water detector switch on the motor, the strainer/filter on the bottom of the electric pump inside the VST tank, the metal canister filter before the extreme hp side on top of the vst tank, probably 3-4 “mystery” filters in the extreme hp pump(Yamaha doesn’t like to mention those, or show them in their diagrams), then you have those same filters in the inlet of every injector. Good luck with that man!

Key West 196;150 Yammie

Life Is Good…Gotta Love It!!!

Thanks bwulmer, I replaced the water separator, the bowl filter,and the med pressure filter. same problem will not go above 3000 rpms. I guess I will have to dive into the vst and clean/change that one. I also want to look at that tps switch like striperking82 suggested. Really a bummer because I have not been able to enjoy this new to me boat. Baptism by fire on learning this motor. I am looking at getting a mechanic to run some diagnostics on it in the water. Will let you know what I come up with.

BEFORE YOU SPEND ANY MORE TIME CHASING A “FUEL” PROBLEM, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 100#S+ OF COMPRESSION ON ALL 6 CYLINDERS AND YOU HAVE SPARK ON ALL 6 CYLINDERS
WHEN THOSE MOTORS ARE RIGHT, THEY ARE AWESOME. WHEN THEY ARENT, THEY WILL MAKE YOU PULL OUT YOUR HAIR

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks Chris, I would take it to your shop but I only have access to a jeep to pull it to and from my house and the landing. There’s no way the jeep can pull the boat to N. Charleston. Going to try a mechanic that will come to me. If I can borrow a buddies truck I will haul it up to you. I trust your shop and work you have done for me in the past.

CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE
WE OFFER PICK UP AND DELIVERY

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

I just got a new to me boat as well with these same motors. Good luck to the OP to getting your issue sorted. Let us know what it turns out to be. I’m interested.

Also, glad to see Chris here helping out. Looks like he does a lot. I’ll keep your place in mind when I need service, etc…